Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla becoming "sales-y"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You knew commission selling was coming sooner or later. You need some type of incentive to motivate sales people. I think they are also moving to a inventory rather than custom ordering model also. People like to buy products off impluse. If i come to your showroom and test drive the vehicle and want to buy it hurts when you say you have to order and it'll be here in 2-3 months. If i do all the above and use say well i have something similar out back it's easier to get people to sit down in buy because of the excitement.

We've know that they've had bonuses for a long time. But not known about any commission.

Agreed, however I still fail to understand how I became "a lead".. I have a 2 year old P85D, deposits on two Model 3s, and have never showed interest in the Model X or resfreshed S.

Since Tesla owns their stores and sales channels, they should have all that data and the sales person would know what I'm interested in. Now, I don't mind them reaching out - it was just strange to get a cold call out of the blue, and felt like I was disconnected from my past experiences with Tesla sales.

(1) Your car was released around the time of AP1: you may be an early AP adopter.
(3) Your car is a P: you're willing to spend extra on your cars.
(3) You have _2_ Model 3 deposits: you want to buy from Tesla again
(4) It's close to Christmas
(5) They want a decent Q4

So, yes, you're a lead. Call got no answer, so they send off an email. Not aggressive.

I
(1) Do not own a Tesla
(2) Have never test-driven a Tesla
(3) Have _1_ Model 3 deposit

So I just get the occasional email.

Reactions: CmdrThor
Tesla is getting smarter. At the beginning of the month they added Qualtrics Site Intercept to their website. This will track the time you spend on the site, location and several other variables. This can be used for not only a better customer experience but also to help their sales team. For example if you spent an hour looking at a Powerwall on the site but never ordered it might you might be a good prospect to reach out to.

That, or you fell asleep with the Powerwall page up. Lol

You knew commission selling was coming sooner or later. You need some type of incentive to motivate sales people. I think they are also moving to a inventory rather than custom ordering model also. People like to buy products off impluse. If i come to your showroom and test drive the vehicle and want to buy it hurts when you say you have to order and it'll be here in 2-3 months. If i do all the above and use say well i have something similar out back it's easier to get people to sit down in buy because of the excitement.

The referral program led with the MLM aspects of "referral bonuses" but now, they will need to work the tickler lists and call (maybe re-call) Model 3 reservation holders and even non AP2.0 owners to try to churn new inventory. It's not unexpected but as an owner of other manufacturer brands, I haven't been called by them at all. So Tesla is stepping up and disrupting. Truly sustainable transportation is buy-and-hold. Buy the resource-intensive vehicle and drive it into the ground, then repeat. Not trade in every 1-2 years.

When I bought my car June 2015, the salesperson back then told me that they "got the same commission no matter which car I bought". I took that to mean that even back then, they were working on commission.
Back when I placed my order in 6/14, I asked and the guy said they were straight salary. That surprised me. But it made for a very nice buying experience. No pressure whatsoever to buy or load up on options. Too bad it has changed.

I received a call from a number I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer it. Turns out it was a sales person from Tesla SF stating that I had "shown interest in the car before" and wondering if I was willing to buy a car this year since I would still get free supercharging and tax credit.

Got an email from the same person a few minutes later, so I replied stating I already have a Model S, thank you very much. To which I immediately get a response asking if I'm willing to trade it in for another Model S or X since they now have full self-driving hardware...

Is it just me, or is Tesla getting aggressive on sales? I always thought the Tesla-style, no-pressure sales experience was very pleasant -- but now it feels like any other dealer..

But what if you didn't own a Model S and/or didn't know about the change to the Supercharging network or AP2 hardware? It seems pushy to you because you're already 'in the know', but if you weren't and you didn't know about those things how would you know if someone didn't tell you? Would you be one of those people who in January goes to buy an S or X only to find out that Supercharging is no longer entirely free and is angry because nobody told you?

To me it seems a lot more like 'covering all our bases'.

Last edited: