Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Begins Solar Roof Installs (and mfr'ing in Buffalo).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two calls from Tesla today wanting to get started with our roof installation. The problem is that I still don't have a firm quote, and I'm currently in Zurich, so my calls have basically consisted of "call back when I'm awake, which will be tomorrow morning your time!". The second came in at 2am here, and I never did get back to sleep.

The rumors I heard were that shipments to Europe would begin about 9 months after US customer installs began. First customer installs in the US are still being treated as semi beta so ramp up is expected to be somewhat slow.

@ggr, you're the second I've heard to have received a call. Congrats on that! You're ripping off your old roof to replace w/ Tesla?

The rumors I heard were that shipments to Europe would begin about 9 months after US customer installs began. First customer installs in the US are still being treated as semi beta so ramp up is expected to be somewhat slow.

Sounds good! May I ask where you heard this? As you may be sensing, I am dying to get the solar roof on our house to be built :)

I'm getting regular Panasonic modules(supposedly) from Buffalo a few weeks from now. Hoping to verify they were actually produced in NY, will post pics.

"Repeated hold-ups since the Buffalo, New York plant opened last year have forced Tesla’s partner in the joint venture, Panasonic (6752.T), to seek other buyers for the components it had built to sell to Tesla, according to a Panasonic employee, a former Panasonic employee and a former Tesla employee.

Inside Tesla's troubled New York solar factory

I had two calls from Tesla today wanting to get started with our roof installation. The problem is that I still don't have a firm quote, and I'm currently in Zurich, so my calls have basically consisted of "call back when I'm awake, which will be tomorrow morning your time!". The second came in at 2am here, and I never did get back to sleep.
brian45011's link says Tri Hyunh reportedly paid ~$100K Not a firm quote, but a ballpark