Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Begrudgingly “Recalls” FSD Beta for NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this will be a sticky on all of the vehicle forums shortly:

(moderator note: related threads here…)
FSD Recall? in Software
Recall FUD in Uk

46071715365_d36a6e2bf4_b (1).jpg

"Full Self Driving Tesla" by rulenumberone2 is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as odd as you think: I frequently see weird speed limits in parking lots. For example, at Disneyland, the speed limit is 14 MPH: it gets your attention more than (for example) 15 MPH would.
Lol, sorry if you missed the nerdy jokes in my comment.
64A54B5C-CABC-4953-8346-8CD32B8AA5F7.jpeg

That is a prime example of a very odd and negative edge case.
Can we not agree?

Last year we had 2 signs down for several weeks. One was where the speed limit transitions from 35 mph to 45 mph, and the other, on a different road, where the limit transitions from 45 mph to 55 mph. The first was a (main) county road, the other a main state north-south highway. In both cases, TACC and the UI both stayed at the lower speed limit, although the map data would not have changed (same for decades). When the signs went back up, the transitions returned immediately.
That's what I would expect when the cameras saw the signs.

Reactions: DrGriz
I actually don't have a problem with them calling things "recall" where the remedy is ultimately a OTA update, it's fine if you want to use "recall" to communicate the seriousness of the issue. I.e. it belongs to a class of issues that can warrant recalls.

My problem with "recall" is it's being used for issues that are clearly not high severity, like for bugs in convenience features or the boombox feature. FSD/Autopilot bugs that prevent the driver from taking back control because the computer froze or something, that would be recall-class IMO, not the fact that the system doesn't choose the right lanes or whatever.

When I had an Acura it had a recall where the airbags would occasionally explode and embed hot metal shrapnel in your face, that's high severity, recall-worthy. On the contrary, issues where my car can make fart or coconut sound FX or an elaborate cruise control system can roll stop signs are not recall-worthy.
Non-compliance with federal regulations (making new cars non-salable) is serious.

Tesla is pushing the boundaries of what is defined and NHTSA is pushing back. NHTSA makes the rules though...

Reactions: CyberGus
We should note the NHTSA tends to be reactive in nature and their investigations etc generally stem from owner complaints. If they're investigating something and it results in a recall, you can bet they're acting on complaints from owners/users.

NHTSA relies heavily on their complaint submission tool, reports, and even media coverage. So if we're questioning what the NHTSA recalls, we should probably be questioning what people are complaining about.

We should note the NHTSA tends to be reactive in nature and their investigations etc generally stem from owner complaints. If they're investigating something and it results in a recall, you can bet they're acting on complaints from owners/users.

NHTSA relies heavily on their complaint submission tool, reports, and even media coverage. So if we're questioning what the NHTSA recalls, we should probably be questioning what people are complaining about.
Non owners/ users also submit complaints...
Doubtful many owners on Beta compained about rolling stops...
Here is a description of their data sources.
Resources Related to Investigations and Recalls | NHTSA

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
If they're investigating something and it results in a recall, you can bet they're acting on complaints from owners/users.
I'm pretty sure NHTSA monitors TMC as their number one source of Tesla complaints. If it's complained about, it's on TMC .... the definitive complaint source. I love ❤️ TMC, and spend way too much time here.

Non owners/ users also submit complaints...
Doubtful many owners on Beta compained about rolling stops...
Here is a description of their data sources.
Resources Related to Investigations and Recalls | NHTSA
I watched Beta testers, can't remember which, on camera griping about the rolling stops as they happened back before the recall.

Rolling stops are traffic offences in many places, and Tesla won't be paying that ticket

I watched Beta testers, can't remember which, on camera griping about the rolling stops as they happened back before the recall happened.

Rolling stops are traffic offences in many places, and Tesla won't be paying that ticket
YouTube is not a submitted to NHTSA complaint though, which was my understanding of what you were speaking of.

I think one needs to enter a VIN to begin the complaint process.
Which are easy to get (use recall search to validate) and still don't validate ownership.
NHTSA does CONFIRM the complaint before the recall process. They don’t go off of just the word of a couple of rando’s and instantly issue a recall
Sure, due diligence. That doesn't change the history of non-owners submitting conplaints.

More than 30 complaints were indeed posted with federal authorities by one man, Keith Leech of New South Wales, Australia.
Contrary To Musk's Suggestion, NHTSA Did Not Call...

All speed-limit signs are suggestions 🤣
This and they are often the safe speeds at which you can make those curves, at least where I live. We encounter curve after curve when driving canyons with speed limits (white sign) of 55. Those curves marked 35 mph with a yellow sign are serious, and those who ignore them end up in the river.

Why shouldn't FSB and AP be capable of following safety recommendations?

(not asking Gus, just a rhetorical question)

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
This and they are often the safe speeds at which you can make those curves, at least where I live. We encounter curve after curve when driving canyons with speed limits (white sign) of 55. Those curves marked 35 mph with a yellow sign are serious, and those who ignore them end up in the river.

Why shouldn't FSB and AP be capable of following safety recommendations?

(not asking Gus, just a rhetorical question)
Because at this time it ONLY identifies/reads standard Stop signs and Speed Limit signs. It doesn't "see" any other signs.