Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla belatedly tries to make their connector a North American standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did notice that claim of a megawatt. Possibly more with cooling in the inlet (I presume the plug is cooled in SCv3 and not the cable, or it could be.)

While planes and semi-trucks may want the 3mW of the MCS, the reality is that a megawatt is too much for cars, and smacks of gasoline thinking and recreating the 3 minute "fill-up" of gasoline. Sure, if you're in a crazy hurry and don't even have time to pee, you might want that, but I think you usually don't
Megawatt charging makes sense for a lot of use cases, and to future proof the standard, but certainly isn't necessary for every case. Take that the current Model X/S are supposed to be capable of ~300kW charging once Tesla updates the Superchargers, then look at the long range Cybertruck which will likely have double the battery capacity. That means it will be capable of at least 600kW, and at 600kW the charging time would be the same as the charging time for the Model X/S. (And things like towing make it so you would need to charge just as often as an X/S, even with double the battery capacity.)

I did notice that claim of a megawatt. Possibly more with cooling in the inlet (I presume the plug is cooled in SCv3 and not the cable, or it could be.)

While planes and semi-trucks may want the 3mW of the MCS, the reality is that a megawatt is too much for cars, and smacks of gasoline thinking and recreating the 3 minute "fill-up" of gasoline. Sure, if you're in a crazy hurry and don't even have time to pee, you might want that, but I think you usually don't
  • With a megawatt charger, you really don't want to leave it while charging because you need to unplug and move as soon as it's done. These units will be expensive and scarce, and I expect very fat idle fees at them. They are much more expensive than gas pumps
  • Apropos of that, the cost of the power circuits and megawatt device are going to be a lot more, so expect megawatt charging to cost quite a bit more than 150kW charging.
  • In addition, expect a car able to take 1mW to also cost more, though once you have bought it it won't cost more to use it, except...
  • It seems unlikely that mW charging won't degrade your battery more than 150kW charging
  • mW charging will probably max out at some lower SoC, to the point that by the time you get to 70% SoC, you will be down under 150kW and encouraged/required to unplug and charged more if you don't. If you want more, you will need to move over to a slower charger to pick up those last few kW. Maybe even at 60% though I have not seen final results on that.
  • In the end, I would rather use a cheaper 500kW charger which takes 10 minutes but lets me go pee and shop while charging, then a 5 minute recharge where I must stay with my vehicle, move it and then spend 5 minutes peeing/shopping. (At a station with lots of empty mW stalls I could presumably pee while it charges, but not a busy one.)
So if, when buying a car, I can get 400kW for the base price and I have to pay a surcharge to get 1mW, and another surcharge when I use it, I might not bother buying it. Depends on the surcharges, of course. Right now more kW have a diminishing return because charging slows as you get over 50% SoC. Your charge time to 80% or 90% is only modestly different on a 250kW station than a 150kW station. You only see a big difference when charging from 10% to 50% on the two different stations.
Just looking at the watts (note MW should be capitalized to mean Megawatt, mW means milliwatt) can be misleading.

A lot of CCS cars need to be at 800V to reach 350 kW, so they need the 1000V version to reach that power. The 500V version would lower their power to more like 150kW-200kW.

That is likely the primary reason to create the 1000V version, not necessarily to support 1MW in power.

Nope, 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, 6-20, 6-50, 10-30, etc. All three prong, all inside.

Correct, but you have zippo clue which outlets have different amperage unless you take everyone out of the wall. 99.9% of consumers just want to plug in the home appliance or car to a level 2 or 3 and just work. So let’s go to just a three pong in the USA - similar to EV charging stations and vehicles with 400 or 800 architecture can charge on the systems without any changes by the end user.

No. The NACS standard is just the connector, not the protocol. (All of those adapters would be passthrough, with the car/Supercharger having no way to know any adapters were in use.) So you can charge using the Tesla or CCS protocol over the NACS connector.

For example EA could add the NACS connector to their stalls and not have to change any software, at which point any CCS compatible Tesla could use the stall without the adapter. And assuming Tesla adds the CCS protocol to Superchargers, like they have done in Europe, other OEMs could add a NACS port to their vehicles with CCS capabilities and they could start using the Supercharger network without any adapter or software changes.
So to be clear re salvage vehicles that have been cut for SC you’re saying that a SC station with a CCS1 connector plugged in to Tesla’s CCS1-Tesla adapter that’s then plugged into a shame branded vehicle the car will still recognize it as a SC station and yell “Nein!”

So to be clear re salvage vehicles that have been cut for SC you’re saying that a SC station with a CCS1 connector plugged in to Tesla’s CCS1-Tesla adapter that’s then plugged into a shame branded vehicle the car will still recognize it as a SC station and yell “Nein!”
Yep, the adapter is passive so neither end would likely see it any different than directly plugged in.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Game Changer?

Tesla Opens up Its EV Charging Connector to the World

November 12, 2022

A new post on the Tesla website reiterates Musk's words from eight years ago. "In pursuit of our mission to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy, today we are opening our EV connector design to the world," states the company. "We invite charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers to put the Tesla charging connector and charge port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS), on their equipment and vehicles."....

....It's ingenious to drop the Tesla brand off and name it the North American Charging Standard. It will make it much easier for competing brands to swallow their pride and use superior technology. The system is the most tested EV charger in the world, and the company reports it has "20 billion EV charging miles to its name." It is also far better than the Combined Charging System (CCS 1), offering twice the power in half the size.

Full Story Here: Tesla Opens up Its EV Charging Connector to the World

Reactions: mspohr
This NACS vs CCS discussion reminds me the JVC vs Betamax, or Thunderbolt vs USB-C standard fights.

It occured that the key deciding was not the best technological system but the most common one.
Almost always the case. And it's really politics/corporate decision/alignment that makes these decisions, not best technology.

I remember being stunned when Betamax was left in the dustbowl of history. Clearly superior.

1668353501890.png

Vehicle to X in DC mode is a slam dunk for the NACS.

How about AC? Is it even relevant?
Here is why I think it is:

With the latest price/performance improvements in power electronics, it seems to be cost effective to rectify and voltage convert in the same step. See IEEE article regarding this trend.
This means that an on board vehicle bidirectional charger should approach cost parity with a uni directional charger.
If that is true, Vehicle to X would naturally be more cost effective in AC mode, since the house inverter could be omitted.

How would the NACS support residential split phase AC then, with NACS having only three pins for power and ground?

My thought is that the whole package, including the vehicle via the NACS through its connection with the panelboard, is listed as an appliance, the inside of which doesn't need to follow code. System specific GFI. Additional L1 L2 auto fuse based on Amps through gnd/neutral, for the case that the load is unbalanced and overtaxes that thinner connector. Alternatively de rate the whole system to the ampacity of the ground connection. One drawback is it could only be installed at the main service panel since that is the only place where ground and neutral are allowed to meet.
Would be interested to hear what people experienced with code and UL listings say about this idea.

Last edited:
View attachment 874134

With the latest price/performance improvements in power electronics, it seems to be cost effective to rectify and voltage convert in the same step. See IEEE article regarding this trend.
This means that an on board vehicle bidirectional charger should approach cost parity with a uni directional charger.
If that is true, Vehicle to X would naturally be more cost effective in AC mode, since the house inverter could be omitted.

How would the NACS support residential split phase AC then, with NACS having only three pins for power and ground?

My thought is that the whole package, including the vehicle via the NACS through its connection with the panelboard, is listed as an appliance, the inside of which doesn't need to follow code. System specific GFI. Additional L1 L2 auto fuse based on Amps through gnd/neutral, for the case that the load is unbalanced and overtaxes that thinner connector. Alternatively de rate the whole system to the ampacity of the ground connection. One drawback is it could only be installed at the main service panel since that is the only place where ground and neutral are allowed to meet.
Would be interested to hear what people experienced with code and UL listings say about this idea.
While you could have an AC "inverter" in your car (and there is one in the F150 -- Tesla considered and rejected putting one in its cars) But it's another story to do V2G with it. Grid intertie requires phase synchronization, pure sine wave but most of all a cutoff switch so it doesn't feed power to the grid during a grid outage. If you had a suitable transfer switch in your house, you could power your home from your car with the right circuit, but it can't just be circuits in the car. The F150 just has sockets you can plug devices into, I think, not the house.

Now, if you want a two-way converter, you could propose a switch. Today all cars come with an AC charger so they can plug into level 1 and 2. But there are far more cars than public chargers, so it would be more economical, total-fleet-wise, to put AC chargers only in the homes and public chargers, and leave them out of the car. However, since we started with AC (which was necessary) it's hard to switch!

View attachment 874134

The Tesla connector is the equivalent to the J1772 connector. I don't see why it would be an issue if V2X works in J1772. In a V2L application (120V), it'll just output directly like the Hyundai adapter.
screen-shot-2021-09-29-at-1-20-18-pm-png.22035

For 240V, for the Ford Lightning it just is installed like a solar inverter (the car outputs DC to a grid-tie inverter):
Grid Transfer Switch and Critical Loads Panel For...

There is no way it is allowed in code just plug it in like an appliance and then feed power into your home or the grid! At minimum there is need for a transfer switch (like a plug for a generator) to ensure the two sources are never on at the same time. I know some people use "suicide cords" to backfeed their home with a generator, but that is a big no-no under code.

I haven't seen any V2H implementations however that propose to connect to a transfer switch for a generator. That would be the simplest and least expensive to implement, but doesn't seem like there is interest.

Reactions: voxel
The Tesla connector is the equivalent to the J1772 connector. I don't see why it would be an issue if V2X works in J1772. In a V2L application (120V), it'll just output directly like the Hyundai adapter.

For 240V, for the Ford Lightning it just is installed like a solar inverter (the car outputs DC to a grid-tie inverter):
Grid Transfer Switch and Critical Loads Panel For...

There is no way it is allowed in code just plug it in like an appliance and then feed power into your home or the grid! At minimum there is need for a transfer switch (like a plug for a generator) to ensure the two sources are never on at the same time. I know some people use "suicide cords" to backfeed their home with a generator, but that is a big no-no under code.

I haven't seen any V2H implementations however that propose to connect to a transfer switch for a generator. That would be the simplest and least expensive to implement, but doesn't seem like there is interest.
I actually think there would be strong interest, but the problem is so few cars will output high current AC to feed into the transfer switch. If more cars had a port to do that, there would be transfer switches designed for that and cables on the market.

However, it depends how frequent outages are at your home. It's a lot of cost if they are very rare as they are for most people in cities. For those who have rare outages, it would be easier just to get a long cord to a power distro box into which you can plug your essentials -- fridge, plug-in lamps, computer or TV (if on antenna) and others. Sure, it might take you 20 minutes to plug everything in and out and put it back, but you are doing it once every few years. Once with a planned 5 hour outage I set up to draw 140w from my cig lighter to run my computer so I could work.

In the old days of POTS and DSL, your internet would stay up during a long outage. Today, typical fiber and cable internet service will shut down after about an hour's power outage, sadly. Your mobile phone as a hotspot will stay up, though, unless it's really bad. And so would Starlink or wireless ISPs.

You have to ask the question, will you have frequent outages and do you want your home to run everything like normal? Then you would buy a fancy system. If instead you have rare outages and can survive only running the essentials, it is easier and cheaper to keep it simple.

Perhaps some of them know how to write this stuff up so the NON experienced can understand what they're saying
Excellent idea. I apologize if I didn't.
While you could have an AC "inverter" in your car (and there is one in the F150 -
The F150 has separate inverter from the charger for V2L. What I am referring to is a bi directional charging, using the charge connector.
- Tesla considered and rejected putting one in its cars)
Indeed, for good reason. Tesla wouldn't exist if they would have dabbled in V2X and other "nice to have" stuff in the early days.
But it's another story to do V2G with it.
Exactly! That's what's opening up with a beefy bidirectional charger, or more correctly, converter.
Grid intertie requires phase synchronization, pure sine wave but most of all a cutoff switch so it doesn't feed power to the grid during a grid outage. If you had a suitable transfer switch in your house, you could power your home from your car with the right circuit.
Phase sync and transfer switches are 100 year old tech. Trivial for Tesla, and many others. the've been producing similar functionality for a long time in their energy division.
However, since we started with AC (which was necessary) it's hard to switch!
Exactly my point.
Yes J1772 has the same problem as NACS, there is no provision for center tap.
There is no way it is allowed in code just plug it in like an appliance and then feed power into your home or the grid!
You didn't read this part: "the whole package, including the vehicle via the NACS through its connection with the panelboard, is listed as an appliance"
At minimum there is need for a transfer switch (like a plug for a generator) to ensure the two sources are never on at the same time.
Yes of course. I am talking a serious set up, not suicide cords and stuff.
Yes, but like I wrote, if you don't have ground and neutral separated, your are not allowed to connect in anywhere else than the service panel, which excludes generator inlets.

I actually think there would be strong interest
I think so too, maybe. At least there is a lot of noise about V2X.