Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Bests Q2 Estimates, Delivers 90K Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla delivered 90,650 vehicles during the second quarter, a triumph during the pandemic that bested Wall Street estimates.

Analysts predicted deliveries of about 74,000 vehicles, significantly less than what Tesla managed to achieve. The strong performance in Q2 was related to demand for Tesla’s more affordable vehicles. The company said it shipped 80,050 units of its new Model Y sport utility vehicle and Model 3 sedan. Model S and Model X accounted for 10,600 deliveries.

Tesla shut down its Fremont, Calif. factory for about six weeks of the quarter to comply with rules set to stop the spread of COVID-19. That impacted production by nearly 20%, but vehicle deliveries increased 2.5% on a quarterly basis.

“While our main factory in Fremont was shut down for much of the quarter, we have successfully ramped production back to prior levels,” Tesla said in a release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla delivered 90,650 vehicles during the second quarter, a triumph during the pandemic that bested Wall Street estimates. Analysts predicted deliveries of about 74,000 vehicles, significantly less than what Tesla managed to achieve. The strong performance in Q2 was related to demand for Tesla’s more affordable vehicles. The company said it shipped 80,050 units of...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/07/02/tesla-bests-q2-estimates-delivers-90k-cars/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Well, as I have just returned from defying the "stay at home" order and am waiting for the room to stop spinning, let me interject.
This is a dubious milestone. If you read the delivery horror stories about QC it becomes clear that there may have been a compromise between quantity and quality.

If I take a laxative, I can deliver a much greater volume but things might get out of control.. From what I read, the Service Centers are having to do the "clean up on Isle 2".

I want to upgrade the range on my '17 MS but I am literally paranoid to exchange or a new one based on all the negative comments about problems you wouldn't find on a Soviet era Lada.

• Funny
Reactions: daviddfann
If I take a laxative, I can deliver a much greater volume but things might get out of control.. From what I read, the Service Centers are having to do the "clean up on Isle 2".

I do like your analogy :)

But Tesla and the rush-to-beat-end-of-quarter is a familiar, if somewhat annoying thing. Maybe one day they'll get over the need to do it. In the meantime, I wonder if you are going to buy a Tesla, that you should aim to have it delivered during the 2nd month of each quarter.

I do like your analogy :)

But Tesla and the rush-to-beat-end-of-quarter is a familiar, if somewhat annoying thing. Maybe one day they'll get over the need to do it. In the meantime, I wonder if you are going to buy a Tesla, that you should aim to have it delivered during the 2nd month of each quarter.
I agree. I got caught up in it not realizing until too late. That part of the process needs to be improved greatly! I picked up a Model Y on June 27 and it felt like cattle at an auction the way they tried to rush me. Yet, I could not drive the car before accepting. He told me that within the first 100 miles to log any problems in the app. They did not get the app working until that night and it took several texts from me to get them moving. And it was 162 miles home!
It certainly took the fun out of the purchase and made me wish I had waited. It also soured my thoughts about Tesla significantly.

Well, as I have just returned from defying the "stay at home" order and am waiting for the room to stop spinning, let me interject.
This is a dubious milestone. If you read the delivery horror stories about QC it becomes clear that there may have been a compromise between quantity and quality.

I want to upgrade the range on my '17 MS but I am literally paranoid to exchange or a new one based on all the negative comments about problems you wouldn't find on a Soviet era Lada.

Weren't those same comments made about the 2017/2018 Model S? I seem to remember a number regarding door handles, door alignment, paint quality, etc.

Tesla delivered 90,650 vehicles during the second quarter, a triumph during the pandemic that bested Wall Street estimates. Analysts predicted deliveries of about 74,000 vehicles, significantly less than what Tesla managed to achieve. The strong performance in Q2 was related to demand for Tesla’s more affordable vehicles. The company said it shipped 80,050 units of...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/07/02/tesla-bests-q2-estimates-delivers-90k-cars/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
CONGRATULATIONS!
Meanwhile, my 2013 MS with only 44,00 miles has been grounded in my garage for 5 weeks waiting for a new/remanufactured MCU1 infoscreen!

In my opinion, Tesla, while doing it's end-of-quarter push, caused a lot of inconvenience to customers.
#1. I was given an appointment for Model Y on 30th June at Marina Del Ray, Los Angeles area. The car arrived at the receiving facility at around 3 p.m. The delivery center had overbooked deliveries. There was a long line to check in,and the line was as if someone was trying to enter a grocery store. The parking lot was a fish market. Appointment times were not kept. Several people have to wait long hours to get delivery. I was not happy with the treatment and left the facility, did not contribute to end of quarter figures. Definitely not a way to treat customers. Called my contact at the delivery center on 1st July and insisted on taking delivery. The delivery center was a ghost town with bare minimal skeleton staff. Contactless delivery performed. I am unsure why we were taken for a ride just because Tesla and its delivery center had "end-of-quarter" push. Not a good treatment to several customers. I bought a Camry 10 years ago from a dealership in PA state, the whole process was smooth, I was even in touch with my sales agent for years after the sale, used to drop him an email saying hello.
#2. Also Tesla referral code did not work on Model Y at time of booking, and the code could be retrospectively applied to booking. It's about $80 value so okay to let go
#3. QC was horrible. I had a bad scratch on left rear window, Tesla repair shop has said they will replace the window. However, I was very upset as the door will have to be taken apart and work quality in factory can never be same as that in a repair shop. Also, the left front and rear door is mis-aligned at several places, the left side of rear bumper is mis-aligned, right small window and its trim is mis-aligned, trim is mis-aligned at the back, rear lights are mis-aligned, trunk does not always close automatically. I was told they can re-align some of parts (not all, as some fall under "specifications") and the rear trunk can be adjusted but it will have more "gap" near its hinge at the top where it meets the rear glass. So in short, you can choose what area you want to see aligned, and the other end will get out of alignment. Also, they cannot give a loaner car while in garage, only Uber credits, which will not be enough for me for my daily running. This is extremely sad, I did ponder several times to return the car as today is 5th day of ownership. Never has my car buying experience so bad. In case other brands catch up, I will most probably never buy a Tesla again.