Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how that choice will affect front impact safety. The frunk has multiple functions, chief amongst them in my mind is the extra crumple area.

The Leaf has plenty of air-gaps in the motor bay. More than enough to support a significant crumple area. For a FWD vehicle (which is much easier for novice drivers to handle in the wet and snow), keeping everything under the hood increases your trunk space significantly. Besides, integrating the motor, HVAC, and inverter into your crumple zone (as mass decelerators) is a nice side benefit.

This is all just an engineering decision to favor understeer versus oversteer, nothing more.

Reactions: MXLRplus
The Leaf has plenty of air-gaps in the motor bay. More than enough to support a significant crumple area. For a FWD vehicle (which is much easier for novice drivers to handle in the wet and snow), keeping everything under the hood increases your trunk space significantly. Besides, integrating the motor, HVAC, and inverter into your crumple zone (as mass decelerators) is a nice side benefit.

This is all just an engineering decision to favor understeer versus oversteer, nothing more.

As the previous owner of a 2016 LEAF I don't recall the motor bay being particularly airy, though there was certainly less mass than an engine block.

As the previous owner of a 2016 LEAF I don't recall the motor bay being particularly airy, though there was certainly less mass than an engine block.

As a former do-all-my-own-maintenance guy, the engine bay is noticeably sparse: Nissan Leaf Guide NZ

Anyway, the point isn't about the actual amount of space there, only that there's enough to achieve good crumple zone results. So the design choice is really about FWD vs RWD, and their associated trade-offs. Of course, if you cared about servicing the HVAC system, then I would prefer FWD.

upload_2020-7-16_3-44-34.png

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

I feel like the numbers are disconnected from reality.

There's the Model 3 Performance, for which I see 4072 lbs, 450 HP, 472 lb-ft, 3.2 second 0-60.

Or this E-tron S Sportback, 3 motors, 496bhp and 718 lb-ft, yet 4.5 second 0-62. Extra motor, extra battery, extra horsepower and torque, but 40% less acceleration 0-60(ish).

Oh, wait. Does that seriously say 5770 lbs? It's a sedan that weighs 42% more than the heaviest Model 3? What the...?

So this is Audi's grand plan. Announce a performance model, first production car with three electric motors... and then load it down with so much weight that it "competes" with a non-performance Tesla?

I feel like the numbers are disconnected from reality.

There's the Model 3 Performance, for which I see 4072 lbs, 450 HP, 472 lb-ft, 3.2 second 0-60.

Or this E-tron S Sportback, 3 motors, 496bhp and 718 lb-ft, yet 4.5 second 0-62. Extra motor, extra battery, extra horsepower and torque, but 40% less acceleration 0-60(ish).

Oh, wait. Does that seriously say 5770 lbs? It's a sedan that weighs 42% more than the heaviest Model 3? What the...?

So this is Audi's grand plan. Announce a performance model, first production car with three electric motors... and then load it down with so much weight that it "competes" with a non-performance Tesla?
Yabbit, German engineering.

Jalopnik review of 2021 Prius Prime.

Parental Warning: The following review contains much obscene language. Many of the Prius Prime features described may cause Tesla drivers to lose sleep and possibly require psychiatric intervention or immediate medical help. You have been warned!

Jalopnik: The 2021 Prius Prime Is The Driving Equivalent Of Some Kid Kicking Your Seat At The Movies.
The 2021 Prius Prime Is The Driving Equivalent Of Some Kid Kicking Your Seat At The Movies

Jalopnik review of 2021 Prius Prime.

Parental Warning: The following review contains much obscene language. Many of the Prius Prime features described may cause Tesla drivers to lose sleep and possibly require psychiatric intervention or immediate medical help. You have been warned!

Jalopnik: The 2021 Prius Prime Is The Driving Equivalent Of Some Kid Kicking Your Seat At The Movies.
The 2021 Prius Prime Is The Driving Equivalent Of Some Kid Kicking Your Seat At The Movies

The same writer reviewing the Fisker Karma

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and Brando
Nissan spent effort to engineer out the frunk, (due to styling message)
I disagree. I'd say they spent no effort to change the design to create a frunk and just used existing ICE engineering concepts to create an EV drive unit that looks essentially like an ICE unit instead of something more compact. That's what they did with the LEAF.
f59a9208485a23.jpg

thats the difference between creativity and effort. Nissan spent the effort to make the Ariya not look like a Maxima, part of that effort was to cut out the space for the frunk.
upload_2020-7-21_23-27-8.png

JRP3, if you don't think the Ariya is based on the Maxima, then what Nissan is it based upon?

Nissan spent the effort to make the Ariya not look like a Maxima, part of that effort was to cut out the space for the frunk.
The Maxima doesn't have a frunk, it has an ICE that fills the space. The Ariya has an electric motor/inverter that fills the space. What effort was put into eliminating the frunk other than failing to optimize the motor/inverter format? That's a lack of effort.

Reactions: navguy12