Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UBS Tears Down VW ID.3: 'Most Credible EV Effort' By Legacy Carmakers

The story is written by Tesla fudster Gustavo Ruffo but he is quoting a UBS report. UBS tore down a VW ID.3 and says it is fully cost competitive with Tesla products and believes it will achieve a 15% profit margin by their metrics. 15% profit is comparable to an ICE Golf.
I find that very hard to believe and I'd like to see the teardown report to believe it. Or maybe Sandy will do a teardown and I can watch it on Youtube! Or we'll see if VW line items their EV PnLs in their next earnings.

I don't know about "cost competitive" but it's not competitive when it comes to range, charging rate, etc.

ID.4 offers 250 miles of EPA range for $40k.
Model Y offers 244 miles of EPA range for $40k

Tesla has twice the charge rate and standard FSD hardware. Far superior software.

VW offers lots of little things like heated steering wheel, hands free open liftgate, premium LED headlights. Better interior materials and build quality.

I find that very hard to believe and I'd like to see the teardown report to believe it. Or maybe Sandy will do a teardown and I can watch it on Youtube! Or we'll see if VW line items their EV PnLs in their next earnings.

Most likely Munro did the teardown, but when they do it for a customer (UBS), they abide by NDA's and don't disclose the details. I think Munro got in trouble when they released some of their findings on the model 3 on an AutolineTV segment.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
upload_2021-3-5_5-3-19.png

upload_2021-3-5_5-4-5.png

upload_2021-3-5_5-4-44.png

Most likely Munro did the teardown, but when they do it for a customer (UBS), they abide by NDA's and don't disclose the details. I think Munro got in trouble when they released some of their findings on the model 3 on an AutolineTV segment.
I doubt Sandy would say those things about VW, but happy to be proven wrong. If VW is competitive then bring on the vehicles and production capacity!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Fred posted Toyota's X Prologue teaser:

I did some basic image manipulation on it to get some more detail (it seems Toyota's marketing team parked it near some bushes):
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.15.14 PM.png

Re. OTA:
I just heard from the main thread that VW is still struggling with software updates.
I wonder about the status of Over-the-air-updates re. competing car companies:

1) Who other than Tesla has OTA?
2) If yes, what level ?
Meaning: Can they access and alter 'deep-stack' things like optimize motor effeciencies, breaks, ride-height, self-driving/DAS, alter voltage for charging, etc ... or is it more surface-level things like updating the car infotainment system?
3) If yes on the deep-stack changing capability: Is the source credible? (Is it an independent review, or another type of review/analysis, where the conclusion is written and agreed to beforehand and prior to the car being torn down or analyzed by an non-independent expert)

Re. OTA:
I just heard from the main thread that VW is still struggling with software updates.
I wonder about the status of Over-the-air-updates re. competing car companies:

1) Who other than Tesla has OTA?
2) If yes, what level ?
Meaning: Can they access and alter 'deep-stack' things like optimize motor effeciencies, breaks, ride-height, self-driving/DAS, alter voltage for charging, etc ... or is it more surface-level things like updating the car infotainment system?
3) If yes on the deep-stack changing capability: Is the source credible? (Is it an independent review, or another type of review/analysis, where the conclusion is written and agreed to beforehand and prior to the car being torn down or analyzed by an non-independent expert)
Not rhetorical, but serious question - I wanna know.

Reactions: navguy12
New report about Lordstown, from the same agency that first alleged fraud at Nikola: The Lordstown Motors Mirage: Fake Orders, Undisclosed Production Hurdles, And A Prototype Inferno

For example, Lordstown recently announced a 14,000-truck deal from E Squared Energy, supposedly representing $735 million in sales. E Squared is based out of a small residential apartment in Texas that doesn’t operate a vehicle fleet.

Another 1,000-truck, $52.5 million order comes from a 2-person startup that operates out of a Regus virtual office with a mailing address at a UPS Store. We spoke with the owner who acknowledged it won’t actually order any vehicles, instead describing the “pre-order” as a mere marketing relationship.

Yet another firm that is supposedly set to buy 500 trucks from Lordstown told us: “…The letters of interest are non-binding. It’s not like you’d obligate yourself to a pre-order or that you would contractually bind yourself to buying this truck. That’s not what they are.”

[...] a small consulting group called Climb2Glory was paid to generate pre-orders. Climb2Glory openly described the purpose behind the pre-order game: “the faster the pre-orders arrived, the greater investors’ confidence would be in the company and the faster funds would flow in.”

New report about Lordstown, from the same agency that first alleged fraud at Nikola: The Lordstown Motors Mirage: Fake Orders, Undisclosed Production Hurdles, And A Prototype Inferno
A focus on demand issues seems like a poor avenue of attack. If Lordstown can build even a reasonably acceptable electric truck they will sell all they can make. there is effectively infinate demand for commercial EV from companies that have pledged to go zero carbon emissions soon.