Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This time may be different because of Dieselgate and the 2021 EU emission targets.

While true there is pressure there, they might not be able to land the battery chemistry, production volume, or battery prices in order to make good on their promised specs. And therefore, they may ship without meeting those specs or push off yet again into the future.

Paris motor show put to bed every argument about competition. No sign of Audi Q6 eTron or Porsche mIssion E. Only EV from VW was a Golf successor which is expected to compete with Leaf/Bolt in/after 2020. Mercedes showed a concept for the next decade. BMW was absent. The only close to production EVs were the improved range Zoe (European Leaf, still under 200 mile range) and the European Opel version of the Bolt. Even if the Model 3 gets delayed to 2019, there is no competition at all.

But you don't understand, to be a serious person skeptic around here you have to lap up all the vaporware and distant concept EV cars - 'tesla killers' - big autos are talking about and then shrug off questions about where these other gigafactories are being built right now and if they are serious why aren't they being building them right now at the same speed and urgency as tesla/panasonic? all while being extremely skeptical of model 3 execution.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BornToFly
I am going to state the obvious here. There are a lot of drivers to put behind the wheel of a BEV, many more than Tesla can produce for. My hope is the likes of Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Faraday Futures, etc turn out many compelling electric vehicles. Full disclosure, I am long Tesla.

Unfortunately imho it will take a few bankruptcies before that happens.

• Informative
Reactions: winfield100
People tend to lump Tesla as only competing with battery electric vehicles. The true competitor set is all vehicles (fossil fuel, hybrids, BEV). This is counter-intuitive to how many people think about competition. Introductions of new electric vehicles by other auto manufactures is no different to the business of Tesla as if they introduced a new fossil fuel car.

People tend to lump Tesla as only competing with battery electric vehicles. The true competitor set is all vehicles (fossil fuel, hybrids, BEV). This is counter-intuitive to how many people think about competition. Introductions of new electric vehicles by other auto manufactures is no different to the business of Tesla as if they introduced a new fossil fuel car.

In my case when I was looking at cars, I didn't consider any other EV. The only other considerations were ICE cars and IMO Tesla's cars are the only EVs out there that can compete head to head with ICE. In most areas Tesla's blow the competition out of the water which is why I bought one.

LG Chem Starts Construction Its Largest EV Battery Plant in Poland

“LG Chem has officially begun construction of its European battery factory in Poland, and will invest some $360 million into the facility by the end of 2018.”

“LG Chem will have established a global production…of more than 280,000 batteries for pure high-performance EVs.”

LG Chem the main cell supplier for all major OEMs out of China, BMW, and Tesla will have global capacity for 280k 200+ mile BEVs by the end of 2018.

That gives Tesla roughly 60% battery pack market share.

LG Chem Starts Construction Its Largest EV Battery Plant in Poland

“LG Chem has officially begun construction of its European battery factory in Poland, and will invest some $360 million into the facility by the end of 2018.”

“LG Chem will have established a global production…of more than 280,000 batteries for pure high-performance EVs.”

LG Chem the main cell supplier for all major OEMs out of China, BMW, and Tesla will have global capacity for 280k 200+ mile BEVs by the end of 2018.

That gives Tesla roughly 60% battery pack market share.

How do you deduce the 60% market share from those statements? Yes, LG will have a part of the market (sized 280k "batteries" whatever that unit is) but from that, and the obvious fact that if LG has 280k "batteries" in 2018 that the total market must be anything above 280k "batteries" (duh), how do you conclude that Tesla ends up with 60% of that market?

How do you deduce the 60% market share from those statements? Yes, LG will have a part of the market (sized 280k "batteries" whatever that unit is) but from that, and the obvious fact that if LG has 280k "batteries" in 2018 that the total market must be anything above 280k "batteries" (duh), how do you conclude that Tesla ends up with 60% of that market?

That Tesla will have 500k and BMW-Samsung less than 50k.

This year, there should be about 600,000 plug-ins sold, right?

The average plug in battery is only about 20 kWh, not the 50 required for 200 mile range. There are a LOT of sub 20kWh plugins especially in China.

280k worth of 200 mile batteries is all that will be needed to fill demand for 2016 plug ins.

2017 is anybodies guess. Can Tesla grow it's higher priced Model S and X models at a geometric rate?
Will GM sell a significant number of 60kWh battery cars?
Will an unknown 3rd player in the Big Battery game step up?