Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously you aren't familiar with his posting history.

Yup, air bags, gas tanks, unintended acceleration, rear engine, ignitions, tires, all are driving the cost of driving up and up. For a company with the cash reserves of Tesla Motors, they are one aggressive Class Action suit away from insolvency today. Why didn't they put on run flats? 2 deaths would be curtains, because I guarantee they considered it.

Science, statistics, reason, and fault are no longer that important in the process. GM has bore the brunt of the cases it seems, but all mfr's get affected. Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine to assume that folk who work in manufacturing are assumed to be perfect and can see into the future. I wish lawyers I hire were just 1/2 competent, if you held them absolute perfection, none would exist.

There has NEVER been a safe car ever built by today's tort standards. If there were any design changes, or sort component changes, there will be a level of poor outcome, even when the improvement in outcome is larger. But most the money in these cases feeds the law corporations that specialize in large dollar class action suits. Sometimes over 80% of the total dollars involved go to the legal firm.

And it could kill the EV industry. Engineers at EV companies have done fire studies. And they do what is REASONABLE to mitigate the fire potential, but, they do not do what is unreasonable, which means they deliberately went the cheaper route. Everybody does this.

At fatality levels of under 1 per million vehicles, there have been massive class action suits. Most are a few hundred thousand to 1. There are not a lot of EVs yet. When there are 5 million in the US, suddenly there will be big bucks on the table.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Yup, air bags, gas tanks, unintended acceleration, rear engine, ignitions, tires, all are driving the cost of driving up and up. For a company with the cash reserves of Tesla Motors, they are one aggressive Class Action suit away from insolvency today. Why didn't they put on run flats? 2 deaths would be curtains, because I guarantee they considered it.

Science, statistics, reason, and fault are no longer that important in the process. GM has bore the brunt of the cases it seems, but all mfr's get affected. Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine to assume that folk who work in manufacturing are assumed to be perfect and can see into the future. I wish lawyers I hire were just 1/2 competent, if you held them absolute perfection, none would exist.

There has NEVER been a safe car ever built by today's tort standards. If there were any design changes, or sort component changes, there will be a level of poor outcome, even when the improvement in outcome is larger. But most the money in these cases feeds the law corporations that specialize in large dollar class action suits. Sometimes over 80% of the total dollars involved go to the legal firm.

And it could kill the EV industry. Engineers at EV companies have done fire studies. And they do what is REASONABLE to mitigate the fire potential, but, they do not do what is unreasonable, which means they deliberately went the cheaper route. Everybody does this.

At fatality levels of under 1 per million vehicles, there have been massive class action suits. Most are a few hundred thousand to 1. There are not a lot of EVs yet. When there are 5 million in the US, suddenly there will be big bucks on the table.

Funny how Tesla's managed just fine. They've been sued by how many people now for sudden acceleration?! It's called good instrumentation. Just, because GM doesn't know how to do things in the digital age, doesn't mean others don't either.

Reactions: callmesam and JRP3
Workhorse-Group-W-15-Plug-In-Electric-Pickup-rendering.jpg

1,000 Workhorse Group W-15 Plug-In Electric Pickups on Preorder - Motor Trend

Reactions: Saghost
As I said, "just because GM doesn't know how to do things in the digital age" ...

Having the tech and applying it correctly are two different things. The LG refrigerators with a built-in web browser exemplifies this mistake perfectly.

There was a felony conviction in court based mainly on GM EDR information before Tesla Motors existed at all. It was everywhere in the news at the time. Can your car convict you in court? Yes it can now.

This only sort of interesting: http://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1306&context=lawreview

GM started with black boxes in 1974, and today's systems are perhaps the best in the auto industry. Is a Tesla even 3D aware? Does it know it's airborne and react accordingly by controlling wheelspeed?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: callmesam
What is a BMW i3? How about a Mirai?

The i3 is available as both a BEV or optionally a PHEV with a really weak gas backup generator.

The Mirai is a hybrid. Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle (FCHV). It has a high voltage battery to capture regen and meet peak power demands, just like gas hybrids do. All fuel cell vehicles are designed like this, except for some early prototypes.

GSP

PS. Except for the non-Rex i3, none of this belongs in the "BEV" thread.

Reactions: callmesam and JRP3