Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: kenliles
...which means its electric vehicles will be modified ICE vehicles instead of designed as electric vehicles.

Maybe. The Ioniq looks to be well designed yet it is one of these multi-platform designs. Basically that car sacrifices the frunk to be a multi-platform design. A significant but not critical feature.

The positive aspect of Hyundai and BMW taking this approach is that they are thinking about high volume BEV production. BMW's carbon fiber "i" factory is a low volume side show.

I would be surprised if the BMW 3 series BEV is not a desirable car.

Ford will ease into EVs

Ford plans to introduce 13 electrified models by 2021, 7 of which it has identified.
• Police Responder Hybrid Sedan, 2018*
• Ford Escape plug-in hybrid, 2019
• Lincoln MKC plug-in hybrid, 2019
• Ford Expedition hybrid, 2019
• Lincoln Navigator hybrid, 2019
• Transit Custom plug-in hybrid, 
 2019* (Europe)
Electric small SUV with 300-mile range (expected to be called
 Model E), 2020*
• Ford Mustang Hybrid, 2020*
• Ford F-150 Hybrid, 2020*
• Autonomous hybrid for commercial mobility services, 2021*
• Another hybrid police vehicle, timing unknown*
• 2 more electrified vehicles, timing unknown
*Announced by Ford

So, in Japan today.

LEAF_13-750x452.jpg

Nissan revealed LEAF 2.0

On sale in Japan next month, in the USA early next year.

150 miles EPA range for $29.9k 40 kWh pack.
60 kWh pack available in a year or so for ~220 miles of EPA range.
Pro-Pilot available in the top two trim's tech packages, not available on base model.

I don't usually have strong opinions about car appearance, but dear god, how did they make the new Leaf look so bad?

Well, the consensus seems to be that it is much more attractive and conventional than LEAF 1.0 . Not that hard to accomplish in either case. And that it will appeal to a much larger percentage of new car buyers. Those that don't want a " Hey,look at me. I am driving an electric vehicle. Ergo, I am morally superior to you ICEv drivers" styling.

Overall, LEAF 2.0 has gotten moderately positive reviews in North America and very positive reviews in Europe and Japan.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm currently on my second leaf. The new one looks as good or bad as the old one in its own way IMHO. It's a fine car but why cant they figure out how to not have that stupid subwoofer occupy trunk floor space? Also looks like they still didnt get rid of that mound on the floor in front of the back seats leaving the third person in the back row uncomfortable. For an established car company they can't think of solutions to these things?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm sure the marketing folks way back when decided that EV owners were "quirky" iconoclasts, who wanted to change the world and wanted everyone to know about it. Hence the "quirky" design language of a lot of introductory EV/hybrid cars.

Only later when there became mass acceptance of hybrids did the design language for hybrids follow conventional cars. To me the Leaf v2 reflects an understanding by the designers that BEVs are becoming a (the?) norm, and the more conventional car design reflects it (especially the front end--no more bug eyes!).

Frankly it was interesting to me that the Bolt looked so "conventional"--to a certain extent likely out of pragmatism (using same ICE platform), but subconsciously maybe a realization that these types of cars are what people do want.

I'm sure the marketing folks way back when decided that EV owners were "quirky" iconoclasts, who wanted to change the world and wanted everyone to know about it. Hence the "quirky" design language of a lot of introductory EV/hybrid cars.

Gen 1 Prius was a Tercel with hybrid drivetrain. Like Ford Fusion Energi.

Gen 2 Prius started the iconic "cheese wedge" design.

Gen 2 outsold Gen 1. By a WHOLE LOT.

Lesson learned by designers at legacy automakers.

Reactions: GoTslaGo