Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By 2022 I think it is quite possible the Model S will transition to large front and rear body casts with battery in chassis of course starting with plaid, but eventually moving to all MS. With this the price of the MS will go down and driving dynamics up. The big question is will the Lucid finally push Tesla to do a serious interior refresh or will they instead focus their resources on other new models like cyber truck. Without a significant interior refresh, the Lucid has a niche to grow into.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
By 2022 I think it is quite possible the Model S will transition to large front and rear body casts with battery in chassis of course starting with plaid, but eventually moving to all MS. With this the price of the MS will go down and driving dynamics up. The big question is will the Lucid finally push Tesla to do a serious interior refresh or will they instead focus their resources on other new models like cyber truck. Without a significant interior refresh, the Lucid has a niche to grow into.

I don't think it's that important for Tesla to compete in the $70-140k market anymore. Or, I should say, it certainly seems like Tesla is focusing on segments with larger sales volume.

That does not mean they shouldn't refresh the S/X, just that it's more important to put resources where the sales are. I do think Lucid will be a good test of how big the market for higher-cost BEVs is in light of the fact that there are A LOT of capable and less expensive BEVs on (or soon to be on) the market.

Certainly we have no problem moving down from the S/X tier, and I don't think we're alone.

I don't think it's that important for Tesla to compete in the $70-140k market anymore. Or, I should say, it certainly seems like Tesla is focusing on segments with larger sales volume.

That does not mean they shouldn't refresh the S/X, just that it's more important to put resources where the sales are. I do think Lucid will be a good test of how big the market for higher-cost BEVs is in light of the fact that there are A LOT of capable and less expensive BEVs on (or soon to be on) the market.

Certainly we have no problem moving down from the S/X tier, and I don't think we're alone.

I think Tesla still gets substantial value from the halo effects and the news stories about the performance of the upcoming upgraded S/X.

I do agree that I’d rather see them spending engineering hours getting Cybertruck and Semi out sooner instead of making a modernized S/X.

Once they have all the market segments covered my opinion might change.

For a company that doesn't do paid advertisements and doesn't have PR departments in the English speaking world it is very important to have class leading vehicles in the $70k-$150k class,

Tesla now has over 50k employees with a market cap over $400B.

It can walk and chew gum at the same time. Every other large company can.

Make great Model S and Model 3. And Model 2 and FSD. Crank out Semi and Cybertruck too.

Rather than $70k in a few years, you can get Model S for less now. (not sure if joking)

"The gauntlet has been thrown down! The prophecy will be fulfilled. Model S price changes to $69,420 tonight!"

Elon isn't paying attention to what Lucid is doing.

Tesla is competing with legacy ICEv OEMs not startup BEV companies.

Tesla is going to be class leading in all segments because what will matter most to people is FSD type of tech and less about cabin noise and how comfortable your posterior is.

There are lots of people in this price class that love to drive and don't care very much about FSD, particularly at the price Tesla will offer it at. In China it will probably be cheaper to hire a human. In India FSD will be banned for the foreseeable future as a job killer.

I care much more about cabin materials and how comfortable my posterior is.

And I am not spending $70k Plus to robotaxi my car to strangers for pence per mile.

There are lots of people in this price class that love to drive and don't care very much about FSD, particularly at the price Tesla will offer it at. In China it will probably be cheaper to hire a human. In India FSD will be banned for the foreseeable future as a job killer.

I care much more about cabin materials and how comfortable my posterior is.

And I am not spending $70k Plus to robotaxi my car to strangers for pence per mile.

Yeah, but if you look at the best selling vehicles cabin materials and lux seating/upholstery does not seem to be what moves vehicles.

I'm not sold on robotaxis, myself, but I'm also 38 and young whippersnappers don't seem to necessarily have the same concerns/values as I do. I can certainly see the appeal of a large monetary investment that typically depreciates, while sitting idle for 23 hrs of the day, making money instead, however.

Yeah, but if you look at the best selling vehicles cabin materials and lux seating/upholstery does not seem to be what moves vehicles.

I'm not sold on robotaxis, myself, but I'm also 38 and young whippersnappers don't seem to necessarily have the same concerns/values as I do. I can certainly see the appeal of a large monetary investment that typically depreciates, while sitting idle for 23 hrs of the day, making money instead, however.

In the $70k-$150k class they do.

Tesla dominated that class for a couple of years in US and Norway. Many of those years Tesla offered genuine Leather seating surfaces and Alcantara headliners and trim.

Since Y and 3 introduction much less domination in this class. Many less people stretching for S/X because they can buy a Tesla for less.

I can see investing in a base Model 3 for Robotaxi revenue.

Not $70k-$150k. I see less than a dozen people buying S Max Plaid per year and robotaxing it.

Old farts needing trips to supermarket and to the mall for exercise doubtful will spend more than base Model Y + FSD.

Last edited:
In case anyone was wondering if Elon was competitive.

Base Lucid Air MSRP of $77,400 - $7,500 Federal Credit = $69,900

69420.png

• Funny
Reactions: Off Shore
I wish Elon would throw down the gauntlet by matching the quality of the Lucid interior instead of beating the base price.
The interior that is currently... air?
:D
Guess we'll have to wait and see what the S interior is at the time Lucid delivers cars of equal cost/ performance. (The lowest cost S need not align with the highest cost Lucid)

There is enough of a market for both VW and Tesla in Europe. It's actually a nice hit on ICE vehicles probably if they can really ramp it up. I wonder if VW is able to do this at a profit? It will also be interesting to see what the numbers look like when Giga Berlin comes online and ramps.

There is an interesting conversation about ID3 not making a profit on a teslaqq twitter thread:

vwLoss.png

The interior that is currently... air?
:D
Guess we'll have to wait and see what the S interior is at the time Lucid delivers cars of equal cost/ performance. (The lowest cost S need not align with the highest cost Lucid)

I guess we can't speculate.

Only discuss the past. Where facts are established.

Elon will all of a sudden change philosophy in six months- 1 year and make actual luxury interiors. Because Elon is not stubborn and changes philosophy all the time.

Sometimes TMC is the bizarro of the ICE forums.

Tesla isn't a real company because it has less than 2% US market share. Less than 1% global market share.

Tesla isn't a real company because it doesn't make millions of cars.

I guess we can't speculate.

Only discuss the past. Where facts are established.

Elon will all of a sudden change philosophy in six months- 1 year and make actual luxury interiors. Because Elon is not stubborn and changes philosophy all the time.

Sometimes TMC is the bizarro of the ICE forums.

Tesla isn't a real company because it has less than 2% US market share. Less than 1% global market share.

Tesla isn't a real company because it doesn't make millions of cars.
I'm fine with speculation, it just seemed off that you seemed to indicate Tesla should change its interior 'now' to match a car that may exist 'then'. Especially when the low end Air has not been shown, unless I missed that. Will the low end Air have the same interior as the high end? Will the low end Air launch at the projected price point? Will plaid have 'improved' interior finishes?

Besides, we all know the reason Tesla isn't a real company is because I don't have my Cybertruck. :)

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3