Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^
Great posts and analysis @petit_bateau !

See this video for Tesla battery growth in 2021, I like this guy, and the numbers are aggressive IMHO, but it's something:

Thank you. That video seems like a maiden's rather optimistic dream. It is even bigger than my upside case, and imho not based on any greater knowledge. I guess we'll find out.

Reactions: SmartElectric
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV $33,995 including destination charge

Chevy estimates 250 mile EPA range.

2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-interior.jpg

Regular Bolt also got a facelift and starts at 31,995. Both still only charge at 50 kW. I have no idea what they're thinking

They asked their current customers what they wanted.

More rear legroom. More comfortable seats. Conventional CUV styling.

Current customers almost never road trip and don't want to pay extra for 150 kWh fast charging.

Sometimes when you do customer clinics/surveys to design your product road map you end up a hostage of your current customers.

Regular Bolt also got a facelift and starts at 31,995. Both still only charge at 50 kW. I have no idea what they're thinking

That the extra 20-30 mins charge time on a road trip during a meal break won't be a big deal? Many consumers are willing to make "minor" concessions to save a few thousand dollars. Hatchbacks appeal to the frugal crowd who value function over form. In which case, they'd be shopping the bolt against the Y. There are many happy leaf owners who bought the short-range frog-like leaf, because it was cheap!

Reactions: Off Shore
Studies have show fleet PHEVs rarely get plugged in, especially when drivers are reimbursed for gasoline they buy with a receipt but not the electricity they charge into the car from home.

In countries where PHEVs are significantly cheaper than ICEv because of government incentives many private buyers will buy the PHEV but rarely plug in. In effect the PHEV becomes a very heavy HEV.
BEV fans gush about the wonderful convenience of plugging in each night and waking up to a "full tank" of dirt-cheap electricity each morning, along with the pure joy of never having to visit another dirty, smelly gas station again in their life. Then they turn 180 degrees and accuse PHEV owners of never plugging them in! Why do dirty, smelly gas stations suddenly become so appealing when driving a PHEV? Ha.

GM's Volt fleet stats showed >60% EV miles even for the less capable Gen 1 car. I've seen guesstimates of 75-80% for Gen2.

It's true, though -- company gas cards give European "employee car" drivers a dis-incentive to plug in. That's easily fixed. Forcing consumer change with government policy ALWAYS has unintended consequences and loopholes, and it always takes a few rounds of policy tweaks to reach the desired outcome. This side issue has nothing to do with the long term BEV/PHEV calculation.

The bigger flaw in Europe's 95g CO2 regulation is that it only considers tailpipe CO2. You can design a BEV SUV with double the life-cycle CO2 impact of a HEV minivan, yet the BEV counted as two 0g cars (1.67 this year) while the HEV exceeded your 95g quota. By 2023 they are supposed to consider life-cycle CO2. This will tilt the field in favor of domestic production vs. China due to Europe's more favorable grid mix, so there's strong incentive behind it besides just fixing the broken CO2 calculation. But LCA helps HEVs and PHEVs relative to BEVs, so it's a risk factor for BEV-only Tesla.

This isn't a "BEVs Rule, PHEVs Suck" religious war. Investing is about identifying risks, then watching them carefully. 95g already creates headwinds for Tesla in Europe, LCA is simply another risk factor TSLA-heavy investors should watch. The risk factor to watch in China would be a policy shift to favor mini-EVs over long range BEVs and/or a move toward a 95g approach vs. the current credit-based system.

Reactions: petit_bateau
BEV fans gush about the wonderful convenience of plugging in each night and waking up to a "full tank" of dirt-cheap electricity each morning, along with the pure joy of never having to visit another dirty, smelly gas station again in their life. Then they turn 180 degrees and accuse PHEV owners of never plugging them in! Why do dirty, smelly gas stations suddenly become so appealing when driving a PHEV? Ha.

GM's Volt fleet stats showed >60% EV miles even for the less capable Gen 1 car. I've seen guesstimates of 75-80% for Gen2.

It's true, though -- company gas cards give European "employee car" drivers a dis-incentive to plug in. That's easily fixed. Forcing consumer change with government policy ALWAYS has unintended consequences and loopholes, and it always takes a few rounds of policy tweaks to reach the desired outcome. This side issue has nothing to do with the long term BEV/PHEV calculation.

The bigger flaw in Europe's 95g CO2 regulation is that it only considers tailpipe CO2. You can design a BEV SUV with double the life-cycle CO2 impact of a HEV minivan, yet the BEV counted as two 0g cars (1.67 this year) while the HEV exceeded your 95g quota. By 2023 they are supposed to consider life-cycle CO2. This will tilt the field in favor of domestic production vs. China due to Europe's more favorable grid mix, so there's strong incentive behind it besides just fixing the broken CO2 calculation. But LCA helps HEVs and PHEVs relative to BEVs, so it's a risk factor for BEV-only Tesla.

This isn't a "BEVs Rule, PHEVs Suck" religious war. Investing is about identifying risks, then watching them carefully. 95g already creates headwinds for Tesla in Europe, LCA is simply another risk factor TSLA-heavy investors should watch. The risk factor to watch in China would be a policy shift to favor mini-EVs over long range BEVs and/or a move toward a 95g approach vs. the current credit-based system.

1. Regarding your first point five-seconds in the company of the average gas-guzzling European* PHEV SUV owner will convince you they never intend to plug in. There are a myriad of reasons why they buy PHEV, but the intention of actually using them as EVs and suffering the inconvenience of putting a plug in a socket isn't one of them. (I cannot speak for Asia in this respect). As you will have seen from the 2019 & 2020 BEV + PHEV data the increased PHEV sales effect is a headwind. Personally I expect it to pass in a few years time.

2. Regarding your second point, is it just me or is there a disconnect in some of the intelligence we are seeing ? We are told the Tesla R&D facility is fully operational and working, located at the Shanghai Supercharger manufacturing plant. Yet they say they are working on the first "designed-in-China" Tesla and which is also designed for global use. But we also hear that the model 2 design is completed. We also have a EIA submission to CN-Gov for a new model to be built at Shanghai GF. We also see foundations going in that appear to be heavy enough for stamping machinery, and probably overkill for the pressure-die-casting machinery, and which are adjacent to the model 3 GA area. My personal tentative conclusions are as follows:
a) the model 2 design is finished, probably a US-CN design team effort, and the EIA is for the expansion for that;
b) the model 1 design is underway now, and that is what China-design team is now working on, and it will be a Ford Fiesta-equivalent category vehicle;
c) the Shanghai foundations are for a combination of stamp and die machinery, and will feed (maybe) the existing 3 line to increase it to ?? 500k cars/year, and also to the new 2 line with a startup rate of 250k cars/yr;
d) that 1 design will be introduced into China first where it will be derisked, but will also be the first model to go into production one day in an India-plant**;
e) don't get hung up on a RoboTaxi being any one specific model - in reality it will be all of them.
That is the only way I can solve the contradictions in the data in a manner that is consistent with Tesla's direction-of-travel.

* inc UK.
** on a 100% Tesla-owned basis, and there will be no investment announcement from Tesla until the Indians give in on that, and if the Indians drag their feet the next plant will go to Brazil.

That is a favorite line of PHEV apologist. It doesn't mean anything.

Most PHEVs don't get 37-53 plus miles of EV range like the Chevy Volt.

Most PHEVs today get 13-25 miles AER. Only the just released Toyota RAV4 Prime can match the Chevy Volt with 42 miles of AER.

Most Volt owners were early adopter enthusiast that couldn't afford a Model S and didn't think Gen 1 LEAFs 73 miles of range could meet their needs.

Todays PHEVs buyers are chasing incentives or trying to avoid downtown surchargers.

They asked their current customers what they wanted.

More rear legroom. More comfortable seats. Conventional CUV styling.

Current customers almost never road trip and don't want to pay extra for 150 kWh fast charging.

Sometimes when you do customer clinics/surveys to design your product road map you end up a hostage of your current customers.

Yeah, but that's because their current customers are "B" segment owners ...because the original Bolt is a "B" segment vehicle.

Their current owner pool is 100k over 4 years(many of whom paid $10k+ under MSRP)...might be time to think of branching out.

Reactions: SmartElectric