Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hoped that would be true before I saw the design.

It is just too weird IMO for the bulk of F Series, Silverado and Ram owners to switch.

I think a lot of current BEV owners, especially Tesla owners, that currently own an ICE pickup because they actually need the utility will switch.

A lot of people that currently own small vehicles because they couldn't stomach the inefficacy of an ICE pickup but liked the space and utility will buy a Cybertruck.

Once the economics of BEV pickups is established there will be electric Silverados,F Series, Lordstown pickups for fleet managers to buy.

And as previously noted many of the people that like obnoxious in your face aggressive design will also switch. Some of those will also buy Hummer but that starts at twice the price of Cybertuck.

BTW I said the conventional wisdom here is the Cybertruck will be one truck to rule them all(pickups) Obviously Cybertruck isn't going to rule the global vehicle market.
Almost everyone thought the CT was weird and ugly when they first saw it. Some people got past that in the first minutes or hours and ordered one. I think more people will accept the appearance after seeing many on the road.

I also suspect some people will move from SUV to CT. Spacious, lots of room in the back. To me the vehicle that's ugly is the X. The CT is more appealing and big and practical for hauling people and stuff. It will replace my medium-size gas SUV.

Ford and GM have the advantage of dealers that pickup buyers are accustomed to dealing with for sales and service, sometimes over many vehicles as pickup owners tend to be brand loyal. And they have salesmen ready to tell whatever lies about the CT and Tesla that are needed to move buyers past thinking about that alternative. OTH there will be comparisons showing the advantages of CT by the numbers and happy owners spreading the news. When someone shows up at a job site with a CT, I expect it will be discussed.

As part of the neutron star strategy, Tech Day 2021 also saw the unveiling of GAC’s sponge silicon electrode technology. After years of research, GAC has overcome problems associated with silicon in larger batteries, using independently developed and patented “sponge silicon negative plate battery technology”: this makes the silicon negative sheet inside the battery as soft and elastic as sponge, strengthening it against wear and tear from charging and giving it a larger storage capacity. The volume and weight of a single battery can be reduced by 20% and 14% respectively.

Will be great if they can out it into production while hitting all other competitive #'s.

My anecdotal evidence (rural eastern Ontario): I have a friend that was going to spend $90k + on a new Dodge p/u but was waiting for the Cybertruck reveal. He hated the look of the Cybertruck when it was revealed...but is now waiting to see one in real life as he has gotten used to the look (still hasn't bought any replacement new truck yet). There is a farmer on my friends road who has a reservation for the Cybertruck. There are two other local farmers holding off on new purchases until they can try out the Cybertruck that the aforementioned farmer near my friend's house has ordered.

Every fall I buy a few boxes of apples from an organic orchard over near Mt Hood. The owner is very pro-electric. He went nuts the first time the local Tesla club showed up at his place. He's told me one of his biggest frustration is that there are no electric farm tractors. He'd also love to replace his ancient Chevy S-10 with an electric truck, though a Cybertruck is not in his budget.

um, 1947 Allis Chalmers G model converted and there are conversion kits
people like hacking stuff
1618823706492.jpeg

um, 1947 Allis Chalmers G model converted and there are conversion kits
people like hacking stuff
View attachment 654992

Hopefully the Solectrac will actually become a reality, but right now it appears to be vaporware. This thread has many examples of announced EVs that never saw production (or the manufacturers are still making promises as the odds of production in quantity dwindle). A conversion is interesting, but I don't think the guy who runs the orchard has the time to do it, even if he did have the skill.

They also have a wedding venue thing which is their main profit center. They have a building they use for receptions that has been under construction for as long as I've been going there (about 15 years).

Solectrac is worth keeping track of as is the conversion market.

Farming is one area that I think would have a big impact if we electrified it as much as possible. I've looked and can't find it now, but a few years ago I saw how fossil fuel use had exploded in the food industry. In 1940 the amount of fossil fuel per bushel of food averaged about 1 gallon per 20 bushels, by 1970 it was 1:1 and by the time of the article (sometime this century), it was 20 gallons per bushel. This was due to an increase in the use of fertilizers made from fossil fuels (which consume a lot of energy to make), much longer distance transported to market, and much more processing between the field and store as well as farming methods that is more reliant on fossil fuel driven farm machinery.

In 1940 there were a lot more family farms and a decently large percentage were still relying on animal labor. As factory farms have become the norm, machinery has replaced animals for labor and most of that machinery runs on fossil fuels.

I did find a study from the University of Iowa that Iowa has about 31 million acres in corn and soybean production. They consume just shy of 35 gallon of diesel equivalent per acre of corn and about 7 per acre for soybeans. Corn is very fossil fuel intensive, which makes ethanol fuel a feel good alternative that may not really be reducing fossil fuel use at all. Though the ethanol is made from what would mostly be a waste product. When they make corn animal feed, they only feed the animals part of the corn and the rest used to be waste, they now ferment that and make ethanol with it. Though I would bet that most distillation is not done with renewable electricity right now.

I recently replaced my 1980s era Yanmar diesel tractor. As I live very close to the Solectrac people, I contacted them repeatedly to see if I could get in line for one. Recognizing that nothing is very normal during COVID, I gave up after 2 weeks and reluctantly ordered a new John Deere diesel. The day after I'd placed the order, they emailed me a bunch of information including their international deployments of working tractors. I was disappointed, but at the same time, I wondered how quickly they'd be willing to respond to service requests, if sales requests get lost for weeks.

Thankfully I don't burn more than 5-10 gallons of diesel a year, but I still see myself in an electric tractor at some point.

The appearance/styling of Toyota's upcoming EV SUV is appealing. No specs. Supposedly on sale worldwide in 2022. I read elsewhere it will be sold as a Lexus in the US.

Last edited:
Ohio-based EV startup Lordstown Motors made its way to Baja California over the weekend to take place in the brutal desert race known as the San Felipe 250. After completing the first 40-mile leg of the race, Matthew Blanchard, Lordstown Motors' director of security and the vehicle's driver, stopped to top off the Endurance's charge. The team also took this time to review telematics data regarding the vehicle's off-road performance and soon determined that it wasn't aligned with what was expected from the race. Lordstown Motors then announced that it would stop at this point and officially withdrew from the remaining 80+ percent of the race.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
And a roundup of the Mach-E, Volvo XC40 Recharge, and ID.4 for US customers. If you ignore the Tesla-killer slant in the title and preface, it’s a good high-level comparison: