Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't Elon's (and Steve Job's) strategy more of a "make what people didn't realize they wanted"?

GM's definitely sticking to the "our customers told us they wanted this ...". It's just a shame that those customers want "a trucky looking truck that can do tough truck stuff" *Tim Allen grunts*.
I would say its really some of both.

My own view on Model S is that its of the "meet people where they are at, rather than tell them what they should want" solution rather than making something people didn't realize they wanted. I say that because there was clearly a group of people that wanted luxury sedans and there was a group of people that wanted electric vehicles. Some of the people in that intersection were frustrated that the available luxury sedan option was a Leaf or a Roadster.

I say that because I also remember so many conversations, here and elsewhere, back in the early Model S days that boiled down to "its a waste of resources because a Leaf will do the same thing" (and takes less resources to make / is more efficient). While that was true, I never heard that from Elon or from Tesla. From Elon / Tesla we were getting that luxury sedan that was also electric that people could actually buy one of, rather than just talk about how nice it'd be if were availablle. Whether that was an optimal resource solution in the micro / individual scale, it was a huge step forward at the macro level (rich people could lower their own personal carbon footprint, and besides - they're fun).

I doubt the electric Hummer will ever sell very many units for many reasons. The primary reason being that (backed up by no research on my part) the regular fossil burner also never sold very many units. Sort of like Model S started off in a niche market (very expensive luxury sedan) that was never very big compared to other segments of the car market. By itself that limited the scale of demand for Model S that could ever exist.

Another reason being that GM still needs batteries to build these things.

Reactions: petit_bateau
I doubt the electric Hummer will ever sell very many units for many reasons.

But, like the Model S, it doesn’t have to sell enough to make GM as a whole profitable. It just has to sell enough to get the Ultium ball rolling and bridge to the Lyriq and whatever else is next.

It does seem a bit crazy to start with such a heavy and inefficient vehicle, but maybe that’s what they came up with when the asked themselves “what GM vehicle is there where a GM customer would pay over $100k for an electric version of it?”

Yeah electricity is cheap, but it's not *that* cheap. At 47 MPGe plus the high initial purchase price there's no way the electric Hummer will be financially appealing. So what's the plan then? Appeal to the Hummer demographic's appreciation for our planet?

Off roading vehicles are one of the hottest market niches right now. Electric off roading vehicles have advantages over ICE, there are not any sensitive things like oil pans or differentials to rip out on rocks.

The Hummer is aimed at the high end of the off roading market. A vehicle that gets 47 mpge vs 12 mpg is an advantage.

There is no news what types of cars this ship is carrying, but it is known to be VW and Porsches made in Emden, Germany.

A cargo ship full of luxury cars is on fire and adrift in the middle of the Atlantic

Porsches Lost Forever As Fire Breaks Out On Cargo Ship

I don't know if there are any EVs r hybrids on board, but the Emden plant was slated to build the ID.4 and other BEVs starting this year.

Volkswagen's Emden Plant To Produce ID.4 And Other BEVs

The fire started in the cargo hold. If it's a battery pack that started the fire, VW might have a battery issue. If it was an ICE that started the fire, then this probably belongs in the ICE Cars are Dangerous thread.

I was surprised to discover that car carrying ships catch fire all the time. And even when the cause is traced back to a battery, it's the 12V lead acid in a fossil car. Apparently those old-timey gas cars are so dangerous to be around that they have to disable all the ship's safety systems just to get the damn things onboard without calamity and then every single car has to be opened up to disconnect all the wiring. Apparently if they forget just one ICE car battery - kablooey - the whole ship explodes.

• Funny
Reactions: adiggs
I was surprised to discover that car carrying ships catch fire all the time. And even when the cause is traced back to a battery, it's the 12V lead acid in a fossil car. Apparently those old-timey gas cars are so dangerous to be around that they have to disable all the ship's safety systems just to get the damn things onboard without calamity and then every single car has to be opened up to disconnect all the wiring. Apparently if they forget just one ICE car battery - kablooey - the whole ship explodes.

Sounds like it.

Was this expected or is this as interesting as it sounds? Anyone use this before? Also, I'd expect that they'll just terminate the endpoint, but it will still appear in the cars UI as they can't update the infotainment OTA.

1646158001238.png

Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares wants to make sure Dodge customers can continue to annoy the **** out of the general public indefinitely into the future.

View attachment 775355

Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares wants to make sure Dodge customers can continue to annoy the **** out of the general public indefinitely into the future.
I figure that as long as competition is bragging about the quality of the output from their audio engineers then Tesla has a long and open roadway in front of them. Especially if they then spend money marketing the quality of the output from their audio engineers!

Reactions: navguy12
I figure that as long as competition is bragging about the quality of the output from their audio engineers then Tesla has a long and open roadway in front of them. Especially if they then spend money marketing the quality of the output from their audio engineers!

I think what Stellantis is talking about is making the reduction gear in the electric drivetrain in such a way that it makes noise. How that translates to durability is anyone's guess. My guess is also that that noise will be pumped into the cabin and may also pumped outward with a speaker.

I think this is not much different than spending money on native game consoles and video games for Tesla cars.

Not every automotive CEO can make babies with celebrities and shoot rockets into space in their spare time. So marketing has to be done by other means.

The base price for the R1T stayed the same. They decontented the vehicle.

You used to get quad motor and 314 miles of range for $67.5k.

Now you get dual motor AWD and 260 miles of range for $67.5k.

A quad motor 314 mile range R1T with no other options is $79.5k. I don't see a destination fee in the configurator.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: replicant
The base price for the R1T stayed the same. They decontented the vehicle.

You used to get quad motor and 314 miles of range for $67.5k.

Now you get dual motor AWD and 260 miles of range for $67.5k.

A quad motor 314 mile range R1T with no other options is $79.5k. I don't see a destination fee in the configurator.
I hope they honor the pricing for reservation holders, a lot of people seem upset with them about this now.

Just spotted on Reddit. Looks like the negative response was so large that Rivian is backtracking and honoring preorder prices:

View attachment 776198
If you’re a Rivian investor…..be prepared to be diluted in a big way over the next year. Rivian’s losses are going to be astronomical until they get through all those preorders. So about 1.5-2 years of huge losses

If you’re a Rivian investor…..be prepared to be diluted in a big way over the next year. Rivian’s losses are going to be astronomical until they get through all those preorders. So about 1.5-2 years of huge losses

I'm also left wondering how many people will now keep their pre-orders, just to turn around and flip them for a profit. You could easily take delivery of a discounted pre-order, price it for $5,000 less than new for a quick sale, and walk away with $15,000 in profit.

I'm also left wondering how many people will now keep their pre-orders, just to turn around and flip them for a profit. You could easily take delivery of a discounted pre-order, price it for $5,000 less than new for a quick sale, and walk away with $15,000 in profit.
They may make people sign an agreement to not sell the vehicle for at least 1 year. (Like Ford is proposing with the F150 Lightning.)

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld