Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same GM that just abandoned their EV buyers even under warranty?

From your link

"Recent reports speculating that GM will no longer provide battery pack replacements for the Spark EV are incorrect. While we are currently experiencing a temporary disruption in the supply of new Spark EV packs, GM remains committed to providing replacement packs to Spark EV owners who need them in the future and will work with owners until we get the supply issues resolved."

So their plan is to be up to 50% EV sales in 8 years? 8 years is a long time. 8 years ago Tesla announced the GigaFactory 1, AP1, and dual motor drive. Since then they have put three cars into production, announced quite a few innovations, completed a second car factory, and have 2 more under construction.

8 years is kind of a long time to get to 50% EVs when the leader is moving on ahead.

Their plan is to from a rounding error in EV sales to ~4M units in 8 years.

I know, Tesla plans 20M units in 8 years.

No, GM is not as aggressive as Tesla.

From your link

"Recent reports speculating that GM will no longer provide battery pack replacements for the Spark EV are incorrect. While we are currently experiencing a temporary disruption in the supply of new Spark EV packs, GM remains committed to providing replacement packs to Spark EV owners who need them in the future and will work with owners until we get the supply issues resolved."

Given the headline in my original post says the opposite of that, and clicking on the link now has a big UPDATED at the top with what you quoted, it's pretty obvious that was added after my original post :)

Given the headline in my original post says the opposite of that, and clicking on the link now has a big UPDATED at the top with what you quoted, it's pretty obvious that was added after my original post :)
The facts did not change between when ev-resource spread the FUD and now.

The facts did not change between when you posted and when GM made a statement. :)

Extraordinary assertions require extraordinary evidence.

An OEM unwilling to offer parts/repairs to in warranty vehicles is extraordinary.

The facts did not change between when ev-resource spread the FUD and now.

The facts did not change between when you posted and when GM made a statement. :)

Extraordinary assertions require extraordinary evidence.

An OEM unwilling to offer parts/repairs to in warranty vehicles is extraordinary.

The facts were prior to the statement multiple sources had stated what the original story reported- from the link again under the update section

It is also unclear why multiple people within the company would have so clearly stated that battery packs were no longer being supported for the Spark EV.

So it's entirely possible the original story was 100% accurate and in light of the bad press GM decided to reverse course and is now scrambling to find a way to source new warranty batteries at least (which even the spokesperson quote admits they DO NOT have right now)

Watch out for this revived niche automaker and their teaser videos!

I’m personally going to follow and cheer on Delorean! Obviously they will have zero effect on Tesla like this article mentions, but hopefully they can make something compelling.

"...Build a new EV component hub from scratch: Indonesia has made battery manufacturing the core of its EV strategy given its vast resources of nickel ore. It banned exports of the metal in 2020 to protect the local industry and encourage value addition.

The Chinese battery giant CATL has committed to a $5-billion investment, while LG Chem of South Korea will enter into an alliance with Indonesia Battery Corporation (IBC), a holding company that includes state-owned energy, electricity and mining firms. Taiwan-based Foxconn, meanwhile, aims to start making electric vehicles and batteries in Central Java later this year.

The government is granting both fiscal and non-fiscal incentives, targeting 400,000 electric cars and 1.76 million electric motorcycles by 2025. But a major effort is needed to build out the infrastructure. Hyundai Motors, which is setting up a battery plant in West Java with LG Energy Solution, has promised support for developing charging stations as well as recycling used batteries..."

Job 1 in 2025 33 GWh/year

1653439442747.png

Last edited:
Job 1 in 2025 33 GWh/year

View attachment 808388
Meanwhile, Tavares came out urging global regulators to pump the brakes on the EV transition due to his belief batteries and raw materials will be in short supply starting in 3 years. The current auto manufacturer production numbers versus Tesla coupled with rising gas prices is really shaping up to be a winner (or winners) take all environment.

Reactions: GSP
Sandy beats up the Rivian off road and it performs well

I hope Rivian gets its production problems sorted out. I don't really like the look of their headlights, but other than that I think they have a very good product. I don't have time to watch the video at the moment, but I've heard Sandy before sing Rivian's praises.