Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bolding added by me. Right now the circumstances where L4 can be done is fairly limited. Waymo is doing some L4 in Arizona. I doubt those cars are out on the road during monsoon season.

I'm not aware of there BEING a monsoon season in Chandler AZ.

But they're also doing L4 in California...they've been testing there (and having accidents there!) for many years.

Right now they're DEPLOYED in San Francisco, to the public, without a human driver, for taxi rides (though limited hours... at night in fact)

I read that the Waymo cars within their geofenced network in good weather are driving without drivers. We'll see what happens when one of those vehicles get into an accident. The company that developed the equipment are going to get sued because there is no human driver to sue.

They've already been in dozens of accidents, as they've been operating for many years that way

That's a story from -2016- about Waymos first at-fault car accident while doing autonomous driving.

I'd strongly advise you to do a significant amount more research than you appear to have done on this topic before commenting further.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
LOL - Arizona certainly does have what the locals refer to as "monsoon season".

Arizona is a big state. Waymo only operates in a tiny section of it.

They only get rain at all about 35 days a year on average.

Though I'm unsure how this even impacts the actual discussion- which was around the mistaken concept L4 requires humans, or that the only reason there's no driverless taxis was liability (despite the fact there ARE driverless taxis in multiple cities from multiple companies)

Cadillac’s luxury electric vehicle will cost $300,000​

Cadillac thinks they're Ferrari?

It’s official, the 2023 Cadillac Lyric is now sold out. If you want to get your hands on the first EV from the American luxury brand then you’re out of luck. Well, unless you can wait for the 2024 model.

According to Automotive News, Cadillac has closed the order book for the 2023 Lyriq, with every example of the Debut Edition of the upcoming electric car now spoken for. For anyone in the market for its first EV, Cadillac is now accepting pre-orders for the 2024 model. These can be secured with a $100 deposit.
The company has not revealed how many pre-orders it received for the Lyriq, but Automotive News reports that “about 250,000 people have expressed interest, with 21,000 so-called hot leads.”
And are sold out of an unknown number of Lyrics for the '23 model.

Reminds me of a SAAB...not in a good way.

Like the back and the interior.

Don't like the front or side view.

Not as cool as the Prophecy Concept. Way better than Ioniq 6.0 that Hyundai CEO made them restyle after he saw reactions from the public to the leaked photos.

Edited to add

BTW There will be enough people that love it, Ioniq 6 will be sold out for 2+ years.

Better to have 10% of people love it and 90% hate it than have 50% like it and 50% be indifferent. Hyundai doesn't have the cell supply to sell half a million of these in North America per year anyways.

Last edited:
Like the back and the interior.

Don't like the front or side view.

Not as cool as the Prophecy Concept. Way better than Ioniq 6.0 that Hyundai CEO made them restyle after he saw reactions from the public to the leaked photos.
I'm happy to have more EVs on the road though. Hoping it turns out better than the 5

NIO is doing better, I'm interested to see how they do in Norway with the ES8. I think this is the first non-China vehicle?

Sales by model:

• ES6 (5-seat SUV): 5,100 (up 36% year-over-year)
  • EC6 (coupe version of the ES6): 1,828 (down 35%)
  • ES8 (7- or 6-seat SUV): 1,684 (up 12%)
  • ET7: 4,349 (new)
  • Total: 12,961 (up 60% year-over-year)

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
  • Informative
Reactions: Discoducky
Not sure where you live but for our next car a gasoline backup is mandatory. I was just on a trip to New Mexico and drove 860 miles before we came close to a J1772 plug. There were 2 campgrounds with a NEMA 14-50 but both were located out of town with NOTHING in walking distance. Even though I live just off I81 and I 26 Tesla has no plans for super chargers to allow me to get to DC, Pittsburgh or Tylertown MS, our three most common trips.

I drive an EV and even built two and have invested in Tesla, but I am afraid we are a long way off from kicking gas.
"WE" may be a long way from kicking gas, but where I live, it's easy. Maybe Tesla will give you another supercharger, and maybe you'll buy an EV with more range, but it's very possible that gas can be kicked in many places. Your drive through New Mexico might have been different if you'd followed different roads, as there are eleven superchargers in the state with another one being built, plus almost any RV park has 220-volt outlets one can rent for a few hours -- which I've done. Anyone can take different roads and find fewer superchargers, but I understand you can write to Tesla and suggest places you think superchargers would be helpful to the general public, ie: not in your own garage. And of course, we ARE a long way from kicking gas, but we are nibbling at the fringes.

As to your comment that there were places to charge but with "NOTHING in walking distance", I've been there, too. I had plugged in at an RV park and "town" was an hour's walk away, but it WAS within walking distance. Back then, it took four hours to charge up, so it was a useful exercise.

"WE" may be a long way from kicking gas, but where I live, it's easy. Maybe Tesla will give you another supercharger, and maybe you'll buy an EV with more range, but it's very possible that gas can be kicked in many places. Your drive through New Mexico might have been different if you'd followed different roads, as there are eleven superchargers in the state with another one being built, plus almost any RV park has 220-volt outlets one can rent for a few hours -- which I've done. Anyone can take different roads and find fewer superchargers, but I understand you can write to Tesla and suggest places you think superchargers would be helpful to the general public, ie: not in your own garage. And of course, we ARE a long way from kicking gas, but we are nibbling at the fringes.

As to your comment that there were places to charge but with "NOTHING in walking distance", I've been there, too. I had plugged in at an RV park and "town" was an hour's walk away, but it WAS within walking distance. Back then, it took four hours to charge up, so it was a useful exercise.
You are quoting a very old post from what I assume is about 8 years old. Things have changed for the better as I would likely now take that trip in my Model 3.

1657048986878.png