Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BD32F6DF-4F65-48C1-BBC4-52B2A1E87724.jpeg
Thoughts?
Has anyone bought the Tesl Bike Rack and is it any good? I know there are other companies that exclusively make bike racks and are likely better built (Thule, Yakima, etc), but the price is ok and it looks pretty decent. My needs are simple, a couple of road bikes on short trips, so I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback...

View attachment 614003 View attachment 614003 Thoughts?View attachment 614003 View attachment 614003 Has anyone bought the Tesl Bike Rack and is it any good? I know there are other companies that exclusively make bike racks and are likely better built (Thule, Yakima, etc), but the price is ok and it looks pretty decent. My needs are simple, a couple of road bikes on short trips, so I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback...

although I don’t have that specific model it looks very much like my Yakima system. It’s universal for me in that I can easily attach another rack for 4 pairs of skis. For mountain biking I don’t like it as much as the bikes tend to sway back and forth. I think for my MY I will buy the Kuat system. It’s more of a cradle as oppose to the hanging system. As far as cost they can all be expensive. You just need to go riding more to reduce the cost per ride. :)

Reactions: MrWattson
I have a Yakima Ridgeback that you hang the bike on. I've only had my 20 year comotion on it for about 5 years but there's only a small amount of scuffing where the straps hold it down. Can't see any yet on the Bilenky.

I do worry about the trunk whacking the rack if you inadvertently open it with rack up. Mine is sort of a cheaper model than the Tesla but roughly the same. Two handles at the top to respectively lower the arms or the whole vertical beam. No question the trunk will hit the rack if it is in the up position.

My question to the tray fans, especially the 1up that looks nice is whether the trunk clears the rack if you open it. I guess two questions. One with bikes on the rack and whether no bikes clears/doesn't clear.

I’ve got a 1up for my Y and it allows me to open the hatch even when in the up position. No material loss in range either.

Highly recommended.
Interesting. I also have a 1up and the trunk would definitely hit the rack when up. The 2" ball-to-end-of-receiver minimum makes it extremely close to the trunk when up. In fact, I'm positive it would damage the car if I drove it like that. I have to use the "extra space" setting with it angled slightly back.

Which one do you have? This is the Equip-D.

Otherwise I really like it. Very solid.

Interesting. I also have a 1up and the trunk would definitely hit the rack when up. The 2" ball-to-end-of-receiver minimum makes it extremely close to the trunk when up. In fact, I'm positive it would damage the car if I drove it like that. I have to use the "extra space" setting with it angled slightly back.

Which one do you have? This is the Equip-D.

Otherwise I really like it. Very solid.
I also have an Equip-D (single tray).

Try backing the receiver out of the hitch a bit. It does not need to be stuffed all the way in. Then crank it down to engage the ball when you have enough trunk clearance.

• Informative
Reactions: spokey
I also have an Equip-D (single tray).

Try backing the receiver out of the hitch a bit. It does not need to be stuffed all the way in. Then crank it down to engage the ball when you have enough trunk clearance.
No, this was with the rack installed at the minimum recommended depth. The instructions say there must be at least 2" from the start of the ball to the end of the hitch. This brings the rack extremely close to the trunk when in the "storage" position: it's practically touching.

The last time I installed it I went the complete opposite direction: instead of minimum depth I went maximum depth and inserted it absolutely all the way and used the "extra clearance" setting when no bikes were racked. This worked OK, but I still wish we had enough clearance to use the storage position. The folks at 1Up said an extension might help, but that installing any shallower was risky and not recommended.

You might want to measure yours to be sure. Maybe your hitch somehow sits further out than mine, but I'd be surprised. They were pretty unequivocal that I couldn't pull it out any more to get clearance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtK
No, this was with the rack installed at the minimum recommended depth. The instructions say there must be at least 2" from the start of the ball to the end of the hitch. This brings the rack extremely close to the trunk when in the "storage" position: it's practically touching.

The last time I installed it I went the complete opposite direction: instead of minimum depth I went maximum depth and inserted it absolutely all the way and used the "extra clearance" setting when no bikes were racked. This worked OK, but I still wish we had enough clearance to use the storage position. The folks at 1Up said an extension might help, but that installing any shallower was risky and not recommended.

You might want to measure yours to be sure. Maybe your hitch somehow sits further out than mine, but I'd be surprised. They were pretty unequivocal that I couldn't pull it out any more to get clearance.
Mine is also practically touching the trunk/rear bumper. But the angle which the trunk opens still allows it to clear the rack in the storage position.

I’ll measure how deep the ball is inserted next time I’m out.

Reactions: Gizmotoy