Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Billing nightmare - please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

My first post and, unfortunately, not a happy one - I am in constant conversations with Tesla Billing, Legal, Customer service and it is getting nowhere. Here is the story:

I returned my Model S lease at the beginning of August (lease was up on August 12). Received confirmation that vehicle was returned and I will not be charged any more payments.
Than, August 12th my account gets debited for Model S lease - I call Tesla and they said oh, sorry, account was not closed and I'll receive refund. All good, I realize I returned close to my next payment due.

At the end of August I took over lease for Model X and, with some bumps, took possession of MX on August 27th.

On September 12, I get charged for my Model S again - vehicle was returned over a month ago. Not only I did not receive refund for the first payment, I get charged again.

Emails back and forth, 5 to 7 calls and I finally get confirmation my Model S account was closed and I should receive refund for my 2 extra payments for Model S.

In the meanwhile, on September 26 my account gets debited for amount that is 150$ more than MX payments. I call Tesla billing and was promised a call back after investigation is complete. Never receive the call. Instead, I get statement that my account is passed due for some crazy amount. Call again and after over an hour on the phone was told that I am responsible for lease transfer fees and credit processing fee. Contract clearly stated that other party was covering all these fees and not me (this was lease take-over). I asked for Supervisor, but she left for the day so I left her voicemail. Never received call back so I call back and asked for that supervisor right away. She was nice and said that she will put all payments on hold till this is resolved, but this needs to be escalated to another department.

Last week I finally received refund for my 2 extra Model S payments, great.

Last Monday I started receiving daily automated calls from Tesla billing. Note, not a person but robot calling and telling me to call back. I did not have time and finally called back yesterday. Lady on the phone could not figure out why I was called and said my account is still under investigation and awaiting corporate decision. Well, OK, nothing I cal do and as long as do not get charged extra, I am OK. Well, that is for Model X.

Now, this is what brought me he - last night I receive bill in the mail for Model S notifiying me that payment will be taken on November 12. I call Tesla and lady said my Model S account was reactivated and I owe Tesla "end of lease" payment for Model S. Nowhere I see or heard about it. I got really pissed and asked for Supervisor, she was not available. Asked for lady at legal I dealt with - not available. Finally, some lady took the call saying she is Supervisor, looked into my account and started talking about 2 months refund that I am waiting on. This was after over 1 hour on the phone. I went nuts and hang up. Completely useless and seems like people at Tesla are clueless and I am going in circles.

Please help - any actual senior manager contact at Tesla would help.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Regards,
Igor.

Than, August 12th my account gets debited for Model S lease - I call Tesla and they said oh, sorry, account was not closed and I'll receive refund. All good, I realize I returned close to my next payment due.

Was your lease with US Bank? If so I have seen many people report that with US Bank you have to cancel your re-occurring payment or they will just keep taking it.

Contract clearly stated that other party was covering all these fees and not me (this was lease take-over).

Who was that contract between? If it was between you and the prior owner, that likely doesn't change how Tesla will bill things, what it means is that the prior owner needs to reimburse you for the fees.

I have you submitted an executive escalation case via your MyTesla account?

Was your lease with US Bank? If so I have seen many people report that with US Bank you have to cancel your re-occurring payment or they will just keep taking it.

I lease directly from Tesla so this is between me and Tesla. No banks involved (I am in Canada)

Who was that contract between? If it was between you and the prior owner, that likely doesn't change how Tesla will bill things, what it means is that the prior owner needs to reimburse you for the fees.

Contract is between me and Tesla. When lease is taken over, contract is amended with the new name of the lessor. Lesee and terms remain the same.

I have you submitted an executive escalation case via your MyTesla account?

Sorry, not used to the interface so here are my answers again:

I leased my MS and currently leasing MX directly from Tesla so this is between me and Tesla - no banks involved. As I stated, I was dealing with Tesla billing department.

Both MS and MX contracts are between me and Tesla. When lease is taken over, contract is amended with the new name of the lessor. Lesee and terms remain the same.

Just checked and I do not beleive there is an option for executive escalation via MyTesla. I cannot find it. I wish there was such option, but based on my experience that might not actually work either as seems like Tesla headoffice employees do not really care about customer satisfaction.