Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blaming aftermarket audio for charging faults and 12v failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, need some advice. I took delivery of a 2021 Model 3SR+ in June 2021. About a month after making sure the car is fine I decided to get the HANSSHOW SR Premium Audio Upgrade (Version A). In retrospect I probably should've waited longer before I got the audio upgrade done especially because I was waiting to get a Level 2 EV Charging spot in my building.

Long story short, a few weeks after I got the audio upgrade (and subsequently a level 2 EV stall) I had a problem where my car was charging overnight and the next day it just completely died, boosting the 12v didn't fix it, eventually it got towed to the service centre and they replaced "ASY. FRONT CONTROLLER GEN 3", at the time I was told it was just a faulty part and everything else about the car is fine.

About 4 months later I received a bunch of errors (only when charging) about electrical system being unable to support all features, and all my accessories wouldn't work properly, eventually I got an error about the 12v battery needing to be replaced, at this time is when Tesla saw I had an aftermarket stereo installed and they blamed the 12v failure entirely on the aftermarket audio (it was installed professionally and connected to penthouse power under the rear passenger seat).

Under their advisement, I was to pay for the 12v replacement and disconnecting from power this additional accessory which I agreed to do. Fast forward another month I am now having issues AGAIN with the 12v which they only replaced a month ago, after some extensive diagnostics they are finding the High Voltage Contactor to be at fault, but they are once again blaming the aftermarket audio upgrade even though it has already been disconnected by their own techs.

This is where I start being suspicious of what the ACTUAL problem is, because when they replaced the 12v the first time, they claimed everything worked properly after installing the new 12v and disconnecting the aftermarket audio, I thought my problems were finally over. But now to have them turn around and continue to blame the aftermarket audio makes no sense to me, especially when the issue has to do with the HV Contactor. If these all failed at the same time after I installed the audio I'd be more inclined to believe the cause is related to the aftermarket audio, but for these things to happen more than 4 months after everything working perfectly and them still continuing to blame the audio upgrade even after they've disconnected it smells fishy to me.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with this? Am I basically screwed out of all future electrical problems because of an aftermarket audio upgrade? I've owned multiple ICE cars before and have always done either a aftermarket audio or remote starter and have NEVER had issues with warranty being denied before so this is rather disappointing and frustrating.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
...Am I basically screwed out of all future electrical problems because of an aftermarket audio upgrade?...
That sounds like it!

...the HV Contactor. If these all failed at the same time after I installed the audio I'd be more inclined to believe the cause is related to the aftermarket audio, but for these things to happen more than 4 months after everything working perfectly and them still continuing to blame the audio upgrade even after they've disconnected it smells fishy to me...
I am not an expert but the damage could be delayed.
...I've owned multiple ICE cars before and have always done either a aftermarket audio or remote starter and have NEVER had issues with warranty being denied before so this is rather disappointing and frustrating...
This is not a generic automobile company. Tesla might have ways to discourage third-party add-ons by damaging its system so you are pretty much out-of-luck.

If you want to do an add-on, don't choose Tesla!

I been dealing with the same BS for my 2016 MX. I got two low power 8” aftermarket subs professionally installed. I even got them installed at a very reputable installer who work on Teslas regularly.

About a year after I got it installed I started to get a “replace 12v battery soon” message. I was still under warranty so I scheduled a mobile appointment to have it replaced. When the tech came out he said the battery is no longer covered under warranty because I had an aftermarket device tapped to the 12v battery which was likely the cause of an early 12v battery failure. I had to pay out of pocket for a new battery.

1.5 years later, same story and same outcome. This time the mobile tech said they disconnected the power to my aftermarket devices because it was causing the car not to sleep properly.

I took the car back to my installer and they said they will reconnect it but they’ve been having other customers come in with similar issues. They recommended just leaving it disconnected not to have to deal with these issues. I had them reconnect it anyways.

A year goes by, the car dies while I’m at Costco. Had to have it towed. Tesla tells me it’s because of the aftermarket equipment which killed the 12v battery. I said I didn’t receive a 12v batter notification, they said it’s likely because the battery died so fast. They charged my battery and told me to come back to get a new battery put in after I have the aftermarket devices removed.

Soon as I got home the replace 12v battery notification came on. I removed the fuses from my subs and disconnected my dash cam. At this point I have no aftermarket power connected to the battery. But I have a feeling if there’s an issue and I go back to Tesla, they are going to point at the wire tap at the 12v battery and say “look at that….the problem!”.

I’ve decided not to do anything like this with my Model 3.

Reactions: ArtK
Hello everyone, need some advice. I took delivery of a 2021 Model 3SR+ in June 2021. About a month after making sure the car is fine I decided to get the HANSSHOW SR Premium Audio Upgrade (Version A). In retrospect I probably should've waited longer before I got the audio upgrade done especially because I was waiting to get a Level 2 EV Charging spot in my building.

Long story short, a few weeks after I got the audio upgrade (and subsequently a level 2 EV stall) I had a problem where my car was charging overnight and the next day it just completely died, boosting the 12v didn't fix it, eventually it got towed to the service centre and they replaced "ASY. FRONT CONTROLLER GEN 3", at the time I was told it was just a faulty part and everything else about the car is fine.

About 4 months later I received a bunch of errors (only when charging) about electrical system being unable to support all features, and all my accessories wouldn't work properly, eventually I got an error about the 12v battery needing to be replaced, at this time is when Tesla saw I had an aftermarket stereo installed and they blamed the 12v failure entirely on the aftermarket audio (it was installed professionally and connected to penthouse power under the rear passenger seat).

Under their advisement, I was to pay for the 12v replacement and disconnecting from power this additional accessory which I agreed to do. Fast forward another month I am now having issues AGAIN with the 12v which they only replaced a month ago, after some extensive diagnostics they are finding the High Voltage Contactor to be at fault, but they are once again blaming the aftermarket audio upgrade even though it has already been disconnected by their own techs.

This is where I start being suspicious of what the ACTUAL problem is, because when they replaced the 12v the first time, they claimed everything worked properly after installing the new 12v and disconnecting the aftermarket audio, I thought my problems were finally over. But now to have them turn around and continue to blame the aftermarket audio makes no sense to me, especially when the issue has to do with the HV Contactor. If these all failed at the same time after I installed the audio I'd be more inclined to believe the cause is related to the aftermarket audio, but for these things to happen more than 4 months after everything working perfectly and them still continuing to blame the audio upgrade even after they've disconnected it smells fishy to me.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with this? Am I basically screwed out of all future electrical problems because of an aftermarket audio upgrade? I've owned multiple ICE cars before and have always done either a aftermarket audio or remote starter and have NEVER had issues with warranty being denied before so this is rather disappointing and frustrating.

Im sure at some point someone is going to mention magnusson moss (which doesnt apply to you in Canada in the first place) and say "Tesla cant do that!", but having issues related to 12V / charging, when you tapped 12V with aftermarket solution is something that they can easily point to and say "thats the problem", cause many times it is (and sometimes it may not be).

If you were in the US, I would say that magnusson Moss( a stipulation that aftermarket parts dont void a warranty, but the fine print on that is that its after market parts made to the exact same specifications as the manufacturers OEM part... like an aftermarket oil filter that is made to the same specs as an OEM one ) doesnt apply here.

No idea what If Canada has an equivalent type warranty stipulation, but its likely it wouldnt apply either. Aftermarket audio that taps electrical / charging, you might be out of luck on those components unless you remove them.

Last edited:
Reading all the information presented so far, it sounds like the OP has accepted that the aftermarket audio caused his 12V battery to fail prematurely. However, where things get a little unclear & suspicious is… after the aftermarket audio is removed and a new 12V battery is installed, the OP experiences another 12V battery problem about 1 month later and this time Tesla traces the problem to the High Voltage Contactor. Tesla advises the OP that even though the aftermarket audio had been removed about a month ago, its initial install and limited use, caused the HV Contactor to fail. So, to give the OP some closure, are there any Electrical Engineers or vehicle electrical system experts out there who can comment on this possibility?

Man, I should be a moderator…. Hell to the no!!! No, way I’m baby-sitting all the crackheads on this forum!! Present company excluded of course!! 🤣 ;)

Last edited:
You need to push this up the chain, similar crap I went through with the fabric tesla calls and underbody tray. They said I hit something when I knew even though my car was lowered, I hit nothing. kept pushing and pushing and showing them people getting it fixed under warranty until they finally credited my account. Not refund, but at least I could use it for something else which I did. Bottom line is Tesla batteries fail, just like the rear glass stress cracks. They know this and don't want to take responsibility. My battery died out of the blue one day on a less than 2 year old car. Are you kidding me? That isn't normal. Now you have the same issues again, but it had nothing to do with the aftermarket audio clearly. They need to refund the money they charged you originally since its very clear it wasn't the issue. People install banging systems in cars and they don't kill the batteries as fast as Tesla eats them. I guarantee back in the day, my systems were drawing way more power. Anyway I just get frustrated seeing this nonsense as no car company is perfect, but if you going to cut major corners, you at least need to own up and fix it.

Reading all the information presented so far, it sounds like the OP has accepted that the aftermarket audio caused his 12V battery to fail prematurely. However, where things get a little unclear & suspicious is… after the aftermarket audio is removed and a new 12V battery is installed, the OP experiences another 12V battery problem about 1 month later and this time Tesla traces the problem to the High Voltage Contactor. Tesla advises the OP that even though the aftermarket audio had been removed about a month ago, its initial install and limited use, caused the HV Contactor to fail. So, to give the OP some closure, are there any Electrical Engineers or vehicle electrical system experts out there who can comment on this possibility?

Man, I should be a moderator…. Hell to the no!!! No, way I’m baby-sitting all the crackheads on this forum!! Present company excluded of course!! 🤣 ;)
You hit this spot on!!!! Haha thanks for the summary.

booruce: Anyway, does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with this?​

My "short story". I installed, 6 speakers, 2amps and a subwoofer:rolleyes: A couple of months later..12v error...Tesla hooked of my sound-system from "Tesla`s 12v". (When I payed for the car, is it my car or Tesla`s?). I than studied this 12v-problem for a couple of months, while driving without sound. No fun, but at least no sound from the autopilot..
Then I found out how to remove the 12v failure-message, and I hooked up the soundsystem again. I called Tesla and asked if my car was ok, and they told me yes. I than visited my lokal Service Centre, 5min away, and canceled my appointment for this 12v-problem. They said, "come in later this week and we will have a look". I did, and than Tesla had hooked of my system again, and wantet 200$ for their time. Would not give me the car back untill I paid. I was shoked.
This led to discussions with Tesla, a little higher up the chain of command.

Now I know tha 12v-problem is a major problem for all EVs. It has to do with security in case of a crash. All electronics is driven from the 12v power-source. Tesla is monitoring, energy put into the 12v-battery..

My sollution is a big lithium-batteri in the frunk. I charge it every 2-3weeks.

I do understand Tesla want to have controll. But Tesla is not beeing serviceminded at all. Loving someone who treat you bad, is tough.

When it comes to TM3+ with a couple of more speakers, and no extra amps........

My wish for this new year: Tesla will take care of their cutomers, who love their cars, and want to make it even better.
If not, maybe Tesla can look in the FSD-mirror🙃

Reactions: DFW_MVP and SWIPE
...My wish for this new year: Tesla will take care of their cutomers, who love their cars, and want to make it even better.
If not, maybe Tesla can look in the FSD-mirror🙃

2 different cultures:

Apple thinks it knows what buyers want so there's no need for buyers to install any additional cards on the motherboard.

PC thinks buyers knows best and allow users to configure additional add on cards on the motherboard for their needs.

If you think you can change Apple then of course you can with Tesla too.