Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla block supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's about reputation.

If a non Tesla car goes up in flames while supercharging (on an open SuC) the media won't be having a field day saying "Tesla car goes up in smoke". The word Tesla would be substituted for another brand. So, they are protecting their brand reputation by blocking salvage cars from SuCs. It's an interesting legal point: does their right to protect their brand supersede the owner's right or expectation to use the car as it was intended to be used (ie, with superchgargers)? Secondly, does the owner have any contractual right to use a supercharger? I'm guessing not, if Tesla says they don't (as is the case for these salvaged cars).

I'm surprised this hasn't been tested in court (at least, in the US).
As I understand it when they do block it it blocks ALL DC fast charging. In the US SuC is generally the only option for DC fast charging so its pretty much one and the same. The fact that they do it by an update to your car does seem dodgy but the net effect is the same either way.
Not sure what the situation is in Europe. If Tesla don't want to let you use their network then that is entirely up to them. Its not public but if they block you from other DC chargers, of which there are many of course, then that seems like legally it would be a bit issue. Also blocking from the ones that have been made public would seem like a bit of a grey area. If they get funding / access etc through providing a "public" network then block some of the public. Is that OK?

As I understand it when they do block it it blocks ALL DC fast charging. In the US SuC is generally the only option for DC fast charging so its pretty much one and the same. The fact that they do it by an update to your car does seem dodgy but the net effect is the same either way.
Not sure what the situation is in Europe. If Tesla don't want to let you use their network then that is entirely up to them. Its not public but if they block you from other DC chargers, of which there are many of course, then that seems like legally it would be a bit issue. Also blocking from the ones that have been made public would seem like a bit of a grey area. If they get funding / access etc through providing a "public" network then block some of the public. Is that OK?
They don’t block 3rd party DC charging. They remove the Vin from the ‘fleet’ so the SuC stalls don’t recognise it and therefore don’t charge.

They would probably argue that the SuC network is a private network you join when you buy a tesla, but it's not in their T&C (Terms | Tesla United Kingdom) - they give the right to terminate access for breach of the FUP but there's nothing about unilateral removal of access for other reasons.. so if someone were to challenge it based on that they may have a case (OTOH if someone had the kind of cash to take on a company the size of tesla they wouldn't be buying cat.d teslas in the first place...).

Reactions: Beast_Mode