Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla block supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a salvage Tesla model 3 long range 2021 had some side damage. Been repaired now with the hv inspection passed. Been driving for about a year with supercharger working. Just last month got blocked. Any know if this can be reactivated or know someone that can do it.

A basic risk assessment suggests why the policy is there. With enough salvage cars out there then one will eventually fail. Likelihood of a car fire is high. Impact possible fire, explosion, death.

Why risk the brand for work carried out (or not) by others = random stuff outside of Tesla’s control. How long before a salvage pack does have a fault + fire whilst supercharging. Twitter & the mainstream news will be all over it.

Thing is, even with a HV inspection everything looks & tests ok today, but what structural/mechanical damage has been done - you could be one pothole away from catastrophic failure. Even if Tesla inspect the car, they have no idea what damage was done or how it has been repaired. From a Tesla perspective it’s not worth the risk.

The only angles I can think of might be ask 1. Tesla (open a service ticket?); 2. see a lawyer. 3. Find someone who can spoof or change the VIN (effectively pretend your car is a non- Tesla). I don’t fancy your chances with any option. Option 3 might be ‘interesting’ to explore. Could someone split add charging kit from another manufacturer?

Would be interesting to read the terms of service for Supercharging for salvage cars if other car makes.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and Rqcg
By that same approach, the more EVs are out there, the more chance one will fail even with ‘official’ repair. Unless you’re going to write off every car that has more than a supermarket trolley bump into it, you’re going to have structurally repaired cars on the road.

Whats the difference between Tesla and a reputable, EV experienced repair place? Would you think its ok for BMW to not allow you to put petrol in your car because the local garage repaired it?

EVs are different, but they shouldn’t be considered special. Yes there needs to be safeguards but within reason.

I wonder if regular CCS chargers work? And by extension, if Tesla unlock the superchargers to non-Tesla owners, could you rock up and charge using the app? Wonder if anyone in Europe has tried that yet

Inspected by whom? If Tesla then I think they'd struggle to explain why they judge it safe for you to drive, but not safe to charge.

If a third party then I think you're out of luck.

Upgraded makes a very good point above. Would be interesting to see if cars are actively blacklisted from chargers as opposed to just not being on the approved list.

Reactions: MrBadger
I bought a salvage Tesla model 3 long range 2021 had some side damage. Been repaired now with the hv inspection passed. Been driving for about a year with supercharger working. Just last month got blocked. Any know if this can be reactivated or know someone that can do it.
I had heard these blocks were actually an update to the car. If so does this block it from the SuC or from all DC fast charging?
If the latter they are on very dodgy legal ground

Are people jumping to conclusions here? Have you asked Tesla, I suggest through a service request why it's not working. While there is a much commented on policy I've no idea if it applies to the UK.

Reactions: Jason71
Yes it’s been working for almost a year. I had it advertised for sale with supercharger working. I think maybe a interested buyer may have raised attention to Tesla. This is my only explanation as it been in Tesla many times and I never mentioned anything about supercharging to them.

Yes it’s been working for almost a year. I had it advertised for sale with supercharger working. I think maybe a interested buyer may have raised attention to Tesla. This is my only explanation as it been in Tesla many times and I never mentioned anything about supercharging to them.
Tesla have no magic way to know if a car was written off. I assume they must go over the register of written off vehicles and check for Teslas on there then strike them off the superchargers. Maybe they only do this periodically which would explain the delay. What category was it?

Tesla have no magic way to know if a car was written off. I assume they must go over the register of written off vehicles and check for Teslas on there then strike them off the superchargers. Maybe they only do this periodically which would explain the delay. What category was it?
They know when the pyro fuse blows and the airbags deploy, both good signs of significant impact.

I wonder if regular CCS chargers work? And by extension, if Tesla unlock the superchargers to non-Tesla owners, could you rock up and charge using the app? Wonder if anyone in Europe has tried that yet
This is an interesting point... In The Netherlands, for example, it's allowed for non-Tesla's to charge at Superchargers. Tesla doesnt know if those cars are salvage cars at all. Which could be potentially dangerous, assuming it's the charging that Tesla wants to avoid. Of course having a Tesla 'catch fire' would be worse then a non-Tesla.

This is an interesting point... In The Netherlands, for example, it's allowed for non-Tesla's to charge at Superchargers. Tesla doesnt know if those cars are salvage cars at all. Which could be potentially dangerous, assuming it's the charging that Tesla wants to avoid. Of course having a Tesla 'catch fire' would be worse then a non-Tesla.
Well, from a liability perspective, Tesla is obviously liable for their cars and not other brands. I find it quite reasonable that they block supercharging on salvaged cars as these are likely to have had an impact that caused some damage to the battery pack. That is likely the top reason why an EV is considered not cost-effectively repairable. It would be interesting to hear of anyone who have replaced the battery pack through Tesla (by Tesla) on a salvaged car and whether that made it eligible for supercharging.

Reactions: Beast_Mode and Rqcg

In your opening post you said the car was repaired and passed an HV inspection. Was this not done by/at Tesla?