Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of January 1 there were 364 Supercharger locations in the US. There are now 415. There have only been 36 new permits this year. There is no way that Tesla is going to double their superchargers this year. They would need to add 313 more supercharger locations this year. I am especially disapointed that they still have not completed I-10 which is the best route between East West for the majority of Tesla owners. I have driven to Texas twice since purchasing my car in December 2014. I opted to take our Expedition on the first trip because of the lack of superchargers. Took the Tesla the second trip. It was better by this time but still required taking much longer alternates to I-10..
One thing your numbers don't show are the expansions at many of the existing locations.

Reactions: nikeykid
They have c
I'm interested to see the execution here. We have a several year history of the process of site selection, permitting, and construction which typically takes several months and on occasion years...
They have changed this year, allegedly by moving the permitted process from Tesla legal to contractors, among other things. There have been ~100 Supercharger locations opened so far this year, with four months to go. I'm not making excuses because there are still many that were expected long ago but haven't happened yet. This time I favor understanding that the network is expanding at nearly breakneck speed. There remain some major bottlenecks and a few locations that have been in permitting for more than a year. Others have appeared suddenly and have opened just about when we first heard of them.
Indeed they have sped the process. We ought to admit that.

Reactions: Acps110 and KJD
As of January 1 there were 364 Supercharger locations in the US. There are now 415. There have only been 36 new permits this year. There is no way that Tesla is going to double their superchargers this year. They would need to add 313 more supercharger locations this year. I am especially disappointed that they still have not completed I-10 which is the best route between East West for the majority of Tesla owners.

You seem to be confused by the terminology of "superchargers" vs "supercharger locations".

Tesla said they would double the superchargers not double the locations. The exact wording was

We started 2017 with over 5,000 Superchargers globally and by the end of this year, Tesla will double that number to total more than 10,000 Superchargers

Some people use the term "stalls" or "pedestals" to indicate this distinction. Tesla doesn't they just say "superchargers"

There are about 40 sites in permit or in construction in the US right now. The key factor is some of these sites will have 40 superchargers at 1 location. That can easily be over 1,000 new superchargers even though it's only 40 new locations.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and kort677
Very true. 100% true. But I don't see the problem here.

There are a lot of things, lot of folks cannot do. I for instance cannot take a train to get to my work, but New Yorkers can do.
Actually not true. Many Tesla buyers in Hong Kong don't have home charging. In Florida I did not have home charging for several months after I bought my Tesla. It is certainly desirable to have home charging, and inconvenient to not have home charging. One can survive nicely without it if one must.

Actually not true. Many Tesla buyers in Hong Kong don't have home charging. In Florida I did not have home charging for several months after I bought my Tesla. It is certainly desirable to have home charging, and inconvenient to not have home charging. One can survive nicely without it if one must.
agreed, I spent 2 months on the road last year and never had an issue. I used the 110 outlets the units I rented had available and I always had L2 chargers available nearby and once I hit the roads there are the SpCs.