Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't open the zoomable map on my phone. But it looks like Baker, CA might be getting an SC? That would be nice.

Can anyone see what the San Fernando Valley looks like? Just curious if they will add something near Santa Clarita.

Correct - Baker is scheduled. I'm not quite sure how large your definition of the valley is, but it seems to be getting several sites:

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 1.20.58 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
Wow... So that Tesla mega supercharger complex - seems like there's a lounge in the main building and what else? Maybe they'll start having mini shopping malls - what would it be, all Tesla stores maybe? :D Actually they have to start making food. Talk about an ideal captive group in there. I think it should be Tesla Pizza, myself, since that's the ultimate food. Plus they would have promotions like spend more than $20 on pizza and your charge power goes up by 20KW - subject to availability of course.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
So, this certainly seems positive on paper, but how do you think Tesla will be able to pull off this kind of expansion by the end of the year?
We are already 1/4 of the way thought the year, and according to supercharge.info there are 12 site under construction and 11 under permit in the US right now.

With sites as large as the renderings they are going to need entire properties, not just a few stalls in somebody else's parking lot.

I certainly want Tesla to be able to pull this off, but I'm skeptical.
Anybody have any good theories to how they actually get it done?
Perhaps they plan to partner with another national property owner to streamline getting access to a number of sites at once.
Long term I'm thinking some kind of partnership makes sense. Perhaps some forward looking gas station owner that sees the writing on the wall?

Reactions: hpartsch
Looks like the dots are on the exact "name" of the city - not necessarily the planned location.

The concept artwork is SWEET. I can't imagine that many chargers in one spot. It's got the two rows of 24 under the solar panels plus what's around the outside. Obviously the lounge / interior could be similar to the travel plazas such as the FL turnpike. They typically have a coffee place, 3-4 fast foot choices and a convenience store.

Gilroy is listed as coming soon? It's one of the original supercharger sites, been open for years.

There are a number of other existing chargers listed as "coming soon" (Grant's Pass, Springfield, Woodburn, etc on I5 corridor). I wonder if these are listed because they are on the docket for expansion/improvement soon. Grant's Pass, for example, only has 4 stations right now and two of them are frequently malfunctioning.

That picture shows ~100 stalls. Brilliant to consolidate that many in a single location, with captive waiting room in place. Even if all cars entering charged for 50 minutes, a stall would open up every 30 seconds. Waiting in line for a Supercharger stall would nothing more than a fond memory, even on New Years Eve driving to Vegas in Barstow. Way to go Tesla with solving the problem! All the former hand wringing related to "How on Earth will Tesla EVER be able to charge cars when the M3 is released" can now be channeled into "Where on Earth is Tesla going to get the power required to charge 100 cars at once"!

Tesla: Getting it done!

And the best part of the whole enchilada is shown below. I'll be the new Model 3 owner at the front of the line on December 31th sipping Dom Perignon to ring in the New Year! :p

And I promise, in advance, not to be the "bad local" guy clogging up the new 100 stall Pasadena Supercharger location. I'll start rooting around to see if I can locate where this is going to be...

pasadena%20supercharger_zps6kjwewsq.jpg

Reactions: Jeff N
There are a number of other existing chargers listed as "coming soon" (Grant's Pass, Springfield, Woodburn, etc on I5 corridor). I wonder if these are listed because they are on the docket for expansion/improvement soon. Grant's Pass, for example, only has 4 stations right now and two of them are frequently malfunctioning.
That would be my guess. I know the Lone Tree, Colorado location has been "temporary" for years but they will be expanding it later this year. The pin shows as Lone Tree today, but not the actual address where the new stalls will be added.

It's great that they plan to add more than they've officially outlined for CARB, but I was discussing the plan they submitted (and I guess was accepted).
My numbers are drawn from the plans VW submitted to CARB and EPA. Those plans have been unevenly reported. All of the recent writeups that I've read are mostly focused on the newly revealed non-CA plans and don't give a very good nationwide overview that summarizes both the CA and non-CA plans together. They also don't put those plans in context with today's Tesla network.

Oh wait...my report does do that:
VW Reveals Nationwide EV Charging Plans - HybridCars.com

Also see an article I wrote last month that includes a few more CA-specific details:
VW Reveals Tesla-like EV Charging Plans - HybridCars.com

Basically, 50 highway locations in CA with an average of 5 stalls is ~250 stalls by mid-2019. The non-CA plans call for 150 locations with an average of 5 stalls for ~750 stalls. Combined that is ~1,000 stalls nationally by mid-2019.

They also say they will have an additional
90 non-CA locations in development by mid-2019 which implies completion by the end of 2020. If those 90 stations average 5 stalls that is another 450 for a total of 1,450 highway stalls nationwide at ~300 locations (50 in CA and 240 non-CA) by the end of 2020.

Those numbers don't include any metro charging "depots". The plans on those depots are fuzzy but I think a fair implication is that they would have around 10 stalls since they are in urban areas. It also doesn't count parking garages at retail malls etc. Presumably the depots and parking garages would add several hundred more 50 and 150 kw chargers to the ~1,450 highway chargers (150 kW or more). By late 2020 this would largely duplicate today's nationwide Tesla Supercharger network of about 2,200 stalls.

Of course, by then Tesla will have moved the goalposts far beyond today's Supercharger world.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
The existing one in Woodbridge, VA isn't even on the new map. Hopefully just overlooked rather than a planned change.

Wow... So that Tesla mega supercharger complex - seems like there's a lounge in the main building and what else? Maybe they'll start having mini shopping malls - what would it be, all Tesla stores maybe? :D Actually they have to start making food. Talk about an ideal captive group in there. I think it should be Tesla Pizza, myself, since that's the ultimate food. Plus they would have promotions like spend more than $20 on pizza and your charge power goes up by 20KW - subject to availability of course.
Frozen Yogurt anyone?

• Funny
Reactions: rabar10