Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's map keeps crashing. Here is the list of 24 added sites they had on the map for Texas:
  • Grapevine
  • Wichita Falls
  • Plano
  • Dallas
  • Ft. Worth
  • Lubbock
  • Pecos
  • San Angelo
  • Italy
  • Nacogdoches
  • College Station
  • Fort Stockton
  • Austin N. Loop
  • Austin
  • Fredericksburg
  • Brenham
  • Flatonia
  • Houston downtown
  • Beaumont
  • San Antonio
  • Dilley
  • Laredo
  • Falfurrias
  • McAllen

Nice, so the whole "supercharging isn't for local use" thing just went out the window. Now they are saying that new centers will be built specifically designed to accommodate local supercharging. Interesting development.

Charging Is Our Priority

Honestly Tesla would be screwing itself if it actively avoided local charging. A lot of prospective owners don't have a place they can park overnight and charge, especially in urban locations. It made way too much sense for Tesla to just charge for supercharging (and they did), and just let people charge how and where they please. Why not!?

Charging should be like laundry/laundromat.

I should be able to use a laundromat if I need to, but it is hugely convenient to have your own washer/dryer at home.

Apartment dwellers: Some people who don't have space for a washer/dryer will always prefer to use the laundromat.
Home owners who have just moved, or haven't figured out getting the charger installed: Some people whose washer breaks down may want to use the laundromat.
Temporarily assigned somewhere for work: And others who are away from home, or moving, can use the laundromat until they figure out the laundry situation at home.
100D: Some will carry a large suitcase when travelling
110v: Or you can handwash
Go to Nissan dealer and use chademo: Some will wear their underwears inside out.

I think it's great and almost required that we will have loads of superchargers, and just charge people a fee slightly higher than charging at home. I feel that's totally acceptable as long as it's cheaper than the price of gas to offset the "quick charging of an ICE" convenience.

Last edited:
Honestly Tesla would be screwing itself if it actively avoided local charging. A lot of prospective owners don't have a place they can park overnight and charge, especially in urban locations. It made way too much sense for Tesla to just charge for supercharging (and they did), and just let people charge how and where they please. Why not!?

Just looking in California, there are going to be so many superchargers that I can't even imagine queues really being a "thing" anymore. I am super surprised at the quantity of superchargers coming. Good job Tesla

Some of the "Coming Soon" sites have been open for a while now.

And the "Target opening by end of 2017, Exact timing and specific location may vary" statement means Tesla has no idea where it will be nor when it will open.

There are a few current ones that are totally missing (like Woodbridge, Virginia). I bet no one had a chance to go over this with a fine-toothed comb before release. It will be cleaned up shortly, methinks, as people complain. And, as was stated upthread, we assume the 'current' ones with gray pins means adding more stalls as in the article.

Some of the "Coming Soon" sites have been open for a while now.

And the "Target opening by end of 2017, Exact timing and specific location may vary" statement means Tesla has no idea where it will be nor when it will open.
As some have noted, most of those are probably either additional Supercharger locations near exiting ones or substantial expansions. Fremont, CA is a notable example.
The most interesting part of this to me is the substantial expansion in Southeastern Europe, plus Australia, New Zealand and Korea. Those are closely followed by the near complete coat to coast US coverage. While Canada has some planned, I keep expecting a cross-Canada coverage, now that they've posted I-90 in the US as well as most significant North-South routes.

Interesting too, that M3 reservations have been taken since the beginning for some countries that ahem no Supercharger plans, notably Brazil.

This looks extremely aggressive. There's something like 10 more Superchargers planned for the Bay Area, including a lot on the peninsula. There was some speculation the existing ones were so abused it soured the concept of a "local" Supercharger, but that seems to have been proven false. This is a substantial expansion of the local Supercharger concept.

Pretty exciting.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones