Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, first time I think I've seen in writing that 'cleared for urban/local action' was stated so clearly. I think with all the 3 rezs with urban addresses, they knew they had to do something.

Looks like Tesla will soon change its name again and become Exxon Tesla whose purpose will be to sell fuel to electric cars. Providing superchargers will no longer become a cash drain but a profit center. Stocks going higher.

Site not loading on phone, can you post screenshot of California? Too impatient to wait until I am home. Thanks

Uhh sure!

upload_2017-4-24_15-42-18.png

Every time I come across this kind of Tesla news it reminds me of the guys/gals in the poker tournaments whose strategy is to go "all in" so often that it throws everyone else off their game. If Elon played poker like he runs Tesla, he would go "all in" every hand. Not only that, but he would do it before the cards were even dealt. He has basically won the WSOP before the other players even realized the tournament has started.

RT

A few comments based on my review of the map (btw I am on the east coast so I focused only near me):
1. Some of the sites are not right off a highway. This makes me think that now Tesla will be acting like a gas station. Now that new cars do not have free supercharging this could actually work. Superchargers are no longer just for long distance travel.
2. Some of the sites seem to be very close to existing sites. I wonder if they will be redundant or if the old locations will actually close.
3. They finally lined up I-80 so that people can go from NY to Chicago without having to travel south
4. My Newark Delaware site is gone. That's a key location, hopefully this is just a glitch

Has anyone actually seen what the pricing would be for pay as you go supercharging?

Is there any way to count the number of new locations planned? Just eyeballing, it looks like there are more "coming soon" than currently active. Tesla is known for making bold predictions that they don't always meet, but to say they are going to more than double the supercharger stations in 8 months might be the boldest yet!

This is great, but I'll be interested to see how Tesla can expand existing sites without encroaching on ICE parking spaces. I'm thinking of Harris Ranch, Gustine, Buttonwillow, and Tejón to name a few. They could commandeer the entire parking lot and fill it with chargers, but I bet the retail operators would balk.

I picked up on this part of the new Tesla blogpost "convenient, abundant, and reliable for all owners, current and future" and had some thoughts in an article I wrote on my blog.

Basically, I prefer to supercharge when I'm taking a trip, but some Tesla brethren still prefer to travel with their Roadsters, and some have Model S 40s which don't have supercharging capability, but have at least the relatively speedy 10kWh single charger or the 20kWh double charger options enabled (to charge at a relatively quick 58 miles per hour.)...

So, why not have a couple of stalls of HPWCs available for these owners to use. More detail here.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and Maaz
New And obviously this is not in any way a response to the charger installations that have been announced by VW as part of their "fine".

And not a response to Audi taking reservations for their announced e-tron BEV.

I think it very obviously _is_ a response. It's nice to have more info on locations but there's a bunch of long-open Superchargers that are listed as coming soon and some other errors (e.g. Fredericksburg, TX says Fredericksburg, VA in the popup). Looks like another Tesla rush job. Hopefully they'll get the data fixed quickly because it's just an embarrassment right now.
To me it is obvious that today's announcement by Tesla is not a "response" to what any other company is doing, it simply builds on what Elon said last year about expanding the charging network.

Yes, there are some errors in the new map.

And the Supercharger locations that are shown in gray but already exist at that location are probably going to be significant expansions of existing sites.

Holly molly, this is awesome!
And they are basically saying that local supercharging will be ok.
Well, now that all Teslas come with 400kWh free Supercharging/year and after that it is pay-per-kW there is no longer "free unlimited Supercharging" (local or otherwise) so as the network is expanded the issue of locals hogging urban Superchargers will fade.

For example, on the new map look at how many new Superchargers are being built on the SF Peninsula and in the LA area and in Hong Kong. Those areas have some of the highest densities of Teslas on the planet and the new map shows multiple additional Superchargers in those areas.

I will now await the "glass half empty" brigade to post about how the "Model 3 tsunami" is going to overwhelm Tesla's Supercharger expansion plans...

Reactions: e-FTW and KJD
I picked up on this part of the new Tesla blogpost "convenient, abundant, and reliable for all owners, current and future" and had some thoughts in an article I wrote on my blog.

Basically, I prefer to supercharge when I'm taking a trip, but some Tesla brethren still prefer to travel with their Roadsters, and some have Model S 40s which don't have supercharging capability, but have at least the relatively speedy 10kWh single charger or the 20kWh double charger options enabled (to charge at a relatively quick 58 miles per hour.)...

So, why not have a couple of stalls of HPWCs available for these owners to use. More detail here.
Because the number of 40 kWh cars are no more than a rounding error in Tesla's fleet and Tesla would prefer they get unlocked to 60s, if anyone even remembers they exist. It's not worth the effort to accommodate them- of all of Tesla's priorities that wouldn't make the top 1000.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler