Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is not true. Look at San Francisco. There are three gray pins. Each one is in a location in the city that corresponds with the name of the Supercharger: Financial District, SOMA, Mission. To the locals those three names are understood to be very specific areas of the city, and Tesla is using the names correctly to describe the locations of those "Coming soon" Superchargers.

I could give you more examples of gray pins in the SF Bay Area that are clearly placed in specific areas, not just on the name of a locality/city/town.

What is not true? The pins on the map always point to the name of a locality/city/town/district, not to the exact location. They go down to the district level when there are multiple new sites in the same city, but the pins still just point to a name on the map (is a district really different from a locality?)

That is not true. Look at San Francisco. There are three gray pins. Each one is in a location in the city that corresponds with the name of the Supercharger: Financial District, SOMA, Mission. To the locals those three names are understood to be very specific areas of the city, and Tesla is using the names correctly to describe the locations of those "Coming soon" Superchargers.

I could give you more examples of gray pins in the SF Bay Area that are clearly placed in specific areas, not just on the name of a locality/city/town.
Well, perhaps not a legal locality, but the point is/was that the location means nothing except 'an approximate area' and maybe also so people could discuss that 'Mission' is getting one, etc.. People were originally thinking the actual pin drop was a precise location. And I would call 'Mission' a locality in San Francisco. You can call it an area, neighborhood, whatever. I'm not sure what we're arguing about. ;)

maybe what you claim is true, for SF.
if you look at the NYC area the pins are quite ambiguous. some of the pins in FLA are vague as well.
Do you mean Manhattan? If you zoom in, it's Midtown, Lower Manhattan, the main Manhattan, and also Williamburg across the bridge:
Precisely on the names. :) Which means nothing except 'in that area'.

upload_2017-4-25_11-17-36.png

Looks like @boaterva beat me to it, but since I put the time in...

This is the only one I could see in those areas that isn't located directly over a name on the map.
upload_2017-4-25_11-2-56.png

All the others are located exactly where a name is on the map and they all say "...specific location may vary.". Whether the name is a city, town, village or district doesn't matter.

Midtown, Lower Manhattan, Williamsburg
upload_2017-4-25_10-57-12.png

Financial District, South of Market, Mission District
upload_2017-4-25_10-58-20.png

Alttamonte Springs, Orlando
upload_2017-4-25_11-11-28.png

Plantation
upload_2017-4-25_10-59-43.png

two questions arise:
• Guess they already have another car company as partner to share costs. Jaguar anyone?

Not unless Tesla is planning on manufacturing Jaguars:

"Tesla will continue to lead the industry with the fastest, most advanced charging technology in the world and continue to build the only cars capable of leveraging that power."

Supercharger network is a moat. No way Tesla is going to (voluntarily) share it with any other cars.

I think that all of the coming soon pins that I've looked at are located above the name of the city in which they will be built, not the actual address.

Yep, every pin is right on a name if you zoom way in. All it tells you is the locality for the permit, perhaps.

Yes guys I definitely noticed that in terms of the Athens (Greece) supercharger. I always got such a kick out of the placement of the Athens pin when google maps first scrolls over to the Athens "metro" area. that said, it is very, very near to one of the main squares of the city, so that's probably why Google chose it.

This is the only one I could see in those areas that isn't located directly over a name on the map.
View attachment 224386

All the others are located exactly where a name is on the map and they all say "...specific location may vary.". Whether the name is a city, town, village or district doesn't matter.

View attachment 224381

View attachment 224384

View attachment 224389

Plantation
View attachment 224385
That's interesting... I wonder if it's a minor typo in the coordinates? Seriously, every other one is on a label so you/we/they can talk about it.

Not unless Tesla is planning on manufacturing Jaguars:

"Tesla will continue to lead the industry with the fastest, most advanced charging technology in the world and continue to build the only cars capable of leveraging that power."

Supercharger network is a moat. No way Tesla is going to (voluntarily) share it with any other cars.
Uh, Elon/Tesla has offered to share it... But no one has taken him/them up on it. Most think 'gas' is someone else's problem.

Reactions: cizUK and KJD
Uh, Elon/Tesla has offered to share it... But no one has taken him/them up on it. Most think 'gas' is someone else's problem.

This blog post was yesterday. It says only Tesla cars will be able to use superchargers. Has Elon or Tesla made a statement after that one that contradicts that? If not, then this is their new stance, regardless of what Elon has said in the past.

Interesting. Yesterday I looked at that new San Mateo location gray pin closely and it was at the Hillsdale Shopping Mall location. Which made since because Tesla labeled the pin as "Hillsdale". But today that pin is a long block southwest of that mall.

This blog post was yesterday. It says only Tesla cars will be able to use superchargers. Has Elon or Tesla made a statement after that one that contradicts that? If not, then this is their new stance, regardless of what Elon has said in the past.
Currently, that's the case but if other manufacturers wanted to join the Supercharger network, I believe that option is still on the table. Perhaps they mention "only Teslas" can use the Supercharger network because this is big news and many blogs and news sites will be discussing it in the coming weeks and currently no other cars support the Supercharger network. This announcement will get the attention of non-Tesla EV owners and hopefully they'll understand that they won't be able to use Superchargers with their current cars. I'm sure we've all seen the pictures of the Leaf, Volvo PHEV, etc. owners attempting to plug in at Superchargers only to find the plug doesn't fit or when it does, they can't charge.

Reactions: KJD

Not to hijack this thread but it does make you wonder if the whole "we will not go after people who use our patents reasonably was spin on EMs part only valid while there was no one other competitor who could use these patents and now that things have progressed to a point where someone might use them they will be put on lockdown.

View attachment 224386

View attachment 224381

View attachment 224384

View attachment 224389

Plantation
View attachment 224385
obviously you think a vague pin on a map relates to a specific location. take the pin in midtown manhattan. it correlates to 42 and 6th there is no place there for a super charger, and the costs of real estate/lack thereof there would make placement of one even a couple of blocks away cast this to be consigned to the dust bin . I stand by my claim that many of these pins are vague and represent only a wish list for SpC installations

obviously you think a vague pin on a map relates to a specific location. take the pin in midtown manhattan. it correlates to 42 and 6th there is no place there for a super charger, and the costs of real estate/lack thereof there would make placement of one even a couple of blocks away cast this to be consigned to the dust bin . I stand by my claim that many of these pins are vague and represent only a wish list for SpC installations
We agree that the location of the of the marker is vague as it relates to the eventual location of the Supercharger. However, I don't believe that it was placed at 42nd and 6th intentionally, it was placed where the word Midtown is.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdorn and boaterva