Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post - Charging Is Our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, someone else could build an entire network of stations just like Tesla is. That's not the same thing as Jaguars charging up at Tesla stations like it was suggested here.
Elon offered to allow other manufacturers to join the Supercharger network as well. If Jaguar wanted instant access to the best high speed charging network in the world, they could pay to join and pay a percentage to help expand the network. They wouldn't have to build their own network from scratch.

We agree that the location of the of the marker is vague as it relates to the eventual location of the Supercharger. However, I don't believe that it was placed at 42nd and 6th intentionally, it was placed where the word Midtown is.
midtown is a very large area, commonly known as from 34 st north to 59 st and from 3rd to eight aves. while in more suburban/rural settings that kind of ambiguous dropping of pins might correlate to a reasonably close by location by NY standards it is almost meaningless.
when they acquire a real physical location, get the required permitting in place then and only then would any of this 'hints" could be thought of as being real.

Reactions: Sonny Daze
I'm interested to see the execution here. We have a several year history of the process of site selection, permitting, and construction which typically takes several months and on occasion years. Unless they do something very different, most of these won't be done in 2017. Still it's wonderful to see them commit to them even if they're late. Just surprising to see Tesla repeating the overpromising mistake in terms of delivery time. I suspect that comes from the personality at the very top.

Looks like @boaterva beat me to it, but since I put the time in...

This is the only one I could see in those areas that isn't located directly over a name on the map.
View attachment 224386

I was curious why the pin was showing up there and found that it actually is a named location on the map, the name is just usually hidden because it is too close to some roads that Google thinks are more important to label.

Google Maps

If you zoom in and out, you can see the label pop into view for a fraction of a second before it disappears when the road names are rendered.

Edit: label also sometimes shows up and stays visible if you switch to satellite view...

Last edited:
I was curious why the pin was showing up there and found that it actually is a named location on the map, the name is just usually hidden because it is too close to some roads that Google thinks are more important to label.

Google Maps

If you zoom in and out, you can see the label pop into view for a fraction of a second before it disappears when the road names are rendered.

Edit: label also sometimes shows up and stays visible if you switch to satellite view...
Ahhh, switching to satellite did the trick. I could not replicate in map view (maybe browser difference) despite zooming in and out, in and out, like a trained monkey. :eek: However, I am suddenly hungry now after seeing the Cheesecake Factory label pop up over and over. :) Good sleuthing!

Ahhh, switching to satellite did the trick. I could not replicate in map view (maybe browser difference) despite zooming in and out, in and out, like a trained monkey. :eek: However, I am suddenly hungry now after seeing the Cheesecake Factory label pop up over and over. :) Good sleuthing!

Are you guys (& gals) able to switch to satellite view of the supercharger map on Tesla's site? I do not see an option to switch between map/satellite (using Chrome browser)....

Are you guys (& gals) able to switch to satellite view of the supercharger map on Tesla's site? I do not see an option to switch between map/satellite (using Chrome browser)....
No a satellite view isn't offered on the new map and never has been offered on the Tesla website map of Superchargers as far as I know.

The post exchange just above between @Sonny Daze and @Speight is in reference to Google Maps.

Okay, I give up.,, it doesn't work in Safari... what's the label? One of the Hillsdale variations? From what I can see it's in a residential area at Hacienda and 31st.

Okay, I give up.,, it doesn't work in Safari... what's the label? One of the Hillsdale variations? From what I can see it's in a residential area at Hacienda and 31st.
upload_2017-4-26_18-21-7.png

What is the point? How can one wait 50 minutes to charge within a city? It's a waste of time. People without home charging still cannot buy an EV.
Charging speed should improve to 350kw at least.

Hmm, what can you do for fifty minutes in a city?

Coffee shop? Pub? Diner? Museum? Theater?

If only there were a lot of places around offering all sorts of services and entertainment to fill your time...

In the near future, the cars will probably be able to unplug automatically and go to a nearby holding area, so you won't even have to make your timing match the charge timing.

Hmm, what can you do for fifty minutes in a city?

Coffee shop? Pub? Diner? Museum? Theater?

If only there were a lot of places around offering all sorts of services and entertainment to fill your time...

In the near future, the cars will probably be able to unplug automatically and go to a nearby holding area, so you won't even have to make your timing match the charge timing.
Then the location of the 1 supercharger per city determines where I can go? That is not flexible.
And other than theater I don't go to any other place you mentioned.

Last edited:
Then the location of the 1 supercharger per city determines where I can go? That is not flexible.
And other than theater I don't go to any other place you mentioned.
If it's like other city superchargers already existing, it'll be near shopping. You can easily burn the time shopping. You also don't have to top up on one go, can do a shorter session. And it won't only be 1 per city, esp. the larger ones (San Francisco has 3). The planned ones are just starting out, there's still plenty of room for expansion as demand grows.

Most people will be using home charging though.

Reactions: GSP and kingjamez
What is the point? How can one wait 50 minutes to charge within a city? It's a waste of time. People without home charging still cannot buy an EV.
Charging speed should improve to 350kw at least.

We'll probably get there at some point. In the meantime, don't overlook the potential of making L2 charging available streetside. BlueIndy is an example of where this is already happening; they have charging stations set up throughout Indianapolis that, although they are primarily there for charging the cars for their car-sharing service, are also available for anyone with a membership to use to charge their own vehicle. If you look throughout Europe you will also find cities where L2 charging is widely available streetside. As this trend gathers momentum it will make EV ownership for those in cities much easier.

As of January 1 there were 364 Supercharger locations in the US. There are now 415. There have only been 36 new permits this year. There is no way that Tesla is going to double their superchargers this year. They would need to add 313 more supercharger locations this year. I am especially disapointed that they still have not completed I-10 which is the best route between East West for the majority of Tesla owners. I have driven to Texas twice since purchasing my car in December 2014. I opted to take our Expedition on the first trip because of the lack of superchargers. Took the Tesla the second trip. It was better by this time but still required taking much longer alternates to I-10..