Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog yesterday repeats 215 mile range estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no one point where all people get range anxiety. If the base battery size doesn't work for you personally, (at the final released spec, and your personal driving habits). Get the upgraded battery. Simple.

Thank you kindly.

The problem is that range is overinflated and a) EPA cycles overreward electric cars and b) Even if they wouldnt do that real world range is completly different.

In real life noone cares that their Sedan has 650km range instead of 870km. With electric cars the 25% range loss has a much bigger effect. And people already calculate range and fuel consumption in a way in their head.

Because electric cars are so new they can't do that (yet).

The problem is that range is overinflated

As you say EPA is different from real world. Everyone should know how their driving compares to their own particular driving. I, for example, get about 110% of EPA in summer and 94% in winter.

EPA cycles overreward electric cars

How?

With electric cars the 25% range loss has a much bigger effect.

Math disagrees.

because electric cars are so new they can't do that (yet).

The math is the same.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: KJD and melindav
In real life noone cares that their Sedan has 650km range instead of 870km. With electric cars the 25% range loss has a much bigger effect. And people already calculate range and fuel consumption in a way in their head.

Math disagrees.

The math is the same.

@Candleflame has a point. The math is apples and oranges: EV consumption is more prone to normal weather and speed changes than ICE is. Charging network is sparser and charging takes longer, making replenishment a much more pressing issue. And most importantly, EVs currently have much less mileage to begin with than ICEs - going from 870 km to 650 km is one thing (not such a big deal), quite another to go from 400 km to 180 km, for example, because there was that much less buffer in the first place...

If m3 only comes with 215 range I am cannceling and not buying ms.
Just sayin' ...

The likelihood of that is very low. A smaller battery option might, but even there I think they have squeezed some more than 215 (or simply made the smaller battery larger than planned). A larger battery option I would expect to clearly beat the Bolt at the very least.

Dream on ... Tesla has repeatedly stated that the base Model 3 will have 215 miles of range :cool:

Dream on ... Tesla has repeatedly stated that the base Model 3 will have 215 miles of range :cool:

Actually not really. Tesla has consistently said "at least" 215 miles of range including this weeks email. Most have interpreted that to mean range will be somewhat higher but we won't know actual range for awhile.

Actually not really. Tesla has consistently said "at least" 215 miles of range including this weeks email. Most have interpreted that to mean range will be somewhat higher but we won't know actual range for awhile.

Good luck with that line of thinking :cool:

58dcedb8dd089539258b466d-873

One thing we can be sure of is that the lowest range 3 will be rated less than the lowest range S as that time, and the highest range will be less than the highest range S.
That's probably the biggest reason they dropped the MS60, so they could beat the Bolt's range, but not exceed the lowest S's range. I think they should switch the S and X to just two battery sizes, 80 and 100 and let the 3 be 55/75 or 60/75 or 55/70.

Reactions: sigmo32