Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla blue star

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is where the U.S. tax system is kinda silly. If the Federal rebate stays at $7,500 then it makes marketing sense to price at $37,499; if the rebate goes to $10,000 then Bluestar can be priced at $39,900. It actually makes no difference to the end consumer.

It's not silly for the lobbyists and big corporations that wrote it :smile:.

I think 37,499 before rebate..
That is the price of Leaf SL. If you want something closer to BMW 3 series, it would cost more to build.

I think BlueStar will be priced to compete with couple of direct competitors who would be already on the market
- Infiniti EV
- BMW i3

Both these are likely priced to be around $45k pre tax credit. That is likely the price of base BlueStar as well.

Ofcourse, that is not a price that gets anyone to 200k volume. For that matter neither is $30k after tax credit. EVs have to hit $25k after credit and about 200 miles of range - with a well developed fast charging network to hit that kind of volumes.

But so much of the LEAF price is based on battery costs.
By the time GENIII/BlueStar is ready, I would assume pack prices will have come down some.
True - but there is also the expectation that the BlueStar range will be much better than Leaf's.

Just to reiterate, 200k volume is "blockbuster" volume. Lots of things have to go right to get to that volume. I can only assume talk of 200k or half a million by 2016 is just bluster from Elon - not a serious business plan.

But so much of the LEAF price is based on battery costs.
By the time GENIII/BlueStar is ready, I would assume pack prices will have come down some.

I agree. I'm assuming that the smallest battery Tesla will make for the Gen III is a 35-40 kWh battery. Tesla making a 35-40 kWh battery in 2015 will certainly be cheaper than Nissan making a 24 kWh battery in 2010.

Originally the statement was third " $30,00 car". That makes it more hopeful that "$30,000 range" is lower rather than higher. The leaf shocked everyone with it's pricing. The Mitsubishi I had to match. More units will also bring the price down and the batteries will get cheaper. $32,995.

This is where the U.S. tax system is kinda silly. If the Federal rebate stays at $7,500 then it makes marketing sense to price at $37,499; if the rebate goes to $10,000 then Bluestar can be priced at $39,900. It actually makes no difference to the end consumer.

I don't think it is supposed to necessarily make a difference for the consumer. It's meant to offset battery cost.

Yes, the quote may have included the rebate, but he has previously said he wanted bluetar to be a car for the masses and pricing between "$20k-30k. I really doubt he will be able to sell the volume required if it's above 30k

i still think it's about educating the masses about what that 30k really means. Heck, just do the exercise of taking a 30k car with monthly payments over 5 years, and ZERO gas bill, and compare it to a 20k car with 2k a year of gas... seems pretty straightforward to me. And you could do that at any price point.

Then cut out all the bureaucracy and give the money straight to the company that makes the EV....

Sounds much more practical to me... I don't know why the Bush administration made it a tax credit for the buyer. But the amount is more or less proportional to battery size, it just has a ceiling at $7.5k for 16 kWh. If they increase it to $10k, I'd say that should be for batteries > 16 kWh only.

Last edited:
Originally the statement was third " $30,00 car". That makes it more hopeful that "$30,000 range" is lower rather than higher. The leaf shocked everyone with it's pricing. The Mitsubishi I had to match. More units will also bring the price down and the batteries will get cheaper. $32,995.

Don't forget that the Leaf doesn't make profit (yet)(as far as we know).

Just to reiterate, 200k volume is "blockbuster" volume. Lots of things have to go right to get to that volume. I can only assume talk of 200k or half a million by 2016 is just bluster from Elon - not a serious business plan.

I'd agree with this. 200K, while possible, is overextending a lot for a new car company. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the target number for the Bluestar was 80-120K. Which is quadrupling the scale/sales for the Model S.