Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla body classic car conversion kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading about all the electric conversions out there in the wild I started dreaming about a different type of conversion. A conversion where only the external look of a Tesla vehicle would be changed. Maybe the body panels could be replaced instead of replacing the guts of the vehicle. The sort of Bugatti body kit conversion that years ago was popular for VW bugs.

Anyway, maybe start with a Model 3 (or the S or Roadster) and strip it down to the chassis. Then replace the body panels with fiberglass panels fashioned to look like the exterior of some classic car. Think a 1962 Chevy Corvette or something similar, whatever. There would of course be millions of issues to overcome, not the least among them the fact that the dimensions would not directly map, but never the less it might be possible to maintain the overall look of the classic.

So,....I know, I know, just a fun dream, but thoughts?

I was interested in doing this and actually talked to a guy in Florida that was into it. He was gonna take the panels off I believe a 63 Vette and then make molds of everything and was planning to make his own chassis. This was a year and a half ago and I would be very interested in actually giving this a go.

I have a 1934 Ford pickup that i've owned for ages, I'm really tempted to put a Model 3 drivetrain in it when they hack them, really makes sense to convert "sunday" drivers to electric. Also contemplating converting my 65 Mustang to electric too for the same reason

After reading about all the electric conversions out there in the wild I started dreaming about a different type of conversion. A conversion where only the external look of a Tesla vehicle would be changed. Maybe the body panels could be replaced instead of replacing the guts of the vehicle. The sort of Bugatti body kit conversion that years ago was popular for VW bugs.
Anyway, maybe start with a Model 3 (or the S or Roadster) and strip it down to the chassis. Then replace the body panels with fiberglass panels fashioned to look like the exterior of some classic car. Think a 1962 Chevy Corvette or something similar, whatever. There would of course be millions of issues to overcome, not the least among them the fact that the dimensions would not directly map, but never the less it might be possible to maintain the overall look of the classic.
So,....I know, I know, just a fun dream, but thoughts?

Yes there would be a lot of issues to overcome, but it might still work in the end.

One thing that would help is starting with a body that has the same wheelbase as the chassis you are using. Model S wheelbase is 116 inches. At first I looked at a 32 Ford, but the wheelbase on that is only 106 inches. Not a good match.

A 48 Chev pickup has a 116 inch wheelbase, so that would match up pretty well. The body mounts I could build those. It would be a lot of work but it could be done.

Now the thing that worries me is how many error codes would the Tesla computer throw when the 4 doors and the hood and the deck lid are gone along with the bumpers and the air bags are also gone from the original car. That brings up problems I have no idea how to solve.

I was interested in doing this and actually talked to a guy in Florida that was into it. He was gonna take the panels off I believe a 63 Vette and then make molds of everything and was planning to make his own chassis. This was a year and a half ago and I would be very interested in actually giving this a go.
Interesting, but I was hoping there would be a way with some sort of mounting adapters to get around a full custom chassis. I guess that idea might not be realistic.