Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Body Shop Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My family and I were involved in the weirdest event today, a very high (...and not on life) driver rolled back into our 3 at a stop sign, got out with his passenger and inspected the damage, and then started yelling that I hit them. He and the passenger decided it was a good idea to get back in the car prior to providing a license or insurance and flee the scene.

I setup an appointment in the app for the Marietta service center in a couple of weeks and provided pictures and a description. I am expecting at the appointment to have an inspection of the front end for any additional damage and likely just a replacement of the front bumper. Can anyone comment on their repair experience for something minor like this? Will they use the information to pre-order expected parts (IE - the bumper) so it can be a simple and quick repair? Or will I likely be leaving the car with the service center and enter into the unknown and complicated world of Tesla body work?

image0.jpeg

I appreciate any insight.

Best,
Rory

All Service Centers can do is a simple swap of parts. Damage looks pretty minor but the SC will probably just want to replace the whole bumper. If you want to try to get it repaired somehow you’ll need to go to a real body shop, preferably a Tesla Certified one.

I just had my front bumper replaced. They bumped my first repair date by over a week, most likely until they had the parts in. Took Tesla about a 8 days to replace and repaint.
Two of those days they were delayed was due to power outages in the area (sure seems like they could have used some power walls)

They used a brand new unpainted bumper and then painted to match and did pretty well.

Total was around $1.7K.

Sounds to me like it was an attempted insurance scam that they bailed on after they realized it was a Tesla and the whole thing was recorded

I just had my front bumper replaced. They bumped my first repair date by over a week, most likely until they had the parts in. Took Tesla about a 8 days to replace and repaint.
Two of those days they were delayed was due to power outages in the area (sure seems like they could have used some power walls)

They used a brand new unpainted bumper and then painted to match and did pretty well.

Total was around $1.7K.

Sounds to me like it was an attempted insurance scam that they bailed on after they realized it was a Tesla and the whole thing was recorded
Interesting scam comment, I doubt it as they had an expired Carmax tag out of NC. I’m in healthcare and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a human as baked as this guy driving. Marijuana is not legal for recreational use in Georgia (yet). I’m choosing to see the glass half full and they are just misguided people continually making poor choices in life. I’m expecting the police/insurance to come back that the plate and/or Benz are stolen.

Thanks all for the insight, sounds like we will flip a coin if it’s going to be quick and smooth repair or a train wreck experience.

Total was around $1.7K.

Are you sure bumper wasn't painted from factory? You should have email from tesla with ordered parts by paint shop for your car. In my case part (fender) was already e-coated

Are you sure bumper wasn't painted from factory? You should have email from tesla with ordered parts by paint shop for your car. In my case part (fender) was already e-coated
On the invoice I had 2 items an M3 FR Fascia SVC PRL WHITE MULTICOAT for ~$950 and Front Fascia UNPAINTED for $495. The service advisor told me it was in paint for a few days, but I'm not 100% certain how much was painted or if the time in the paint shop was to blend an already painted bumper to match the car.