Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Bot Prototype Coming in 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla announced Thursday at its “AI Day” that it will build a “Tesla Bot” as soon as 2022.

Chief Executive Elon Musk said the human-like robot will be able to complete tasks that are “boring, dangerous, repetitive jobs that people don’t want to do.”

A Tesla Bot was on display at the event, but as a joke the company put a person in a suit designed to look like Tesla Bot to dance on stage. “Tesla Bot will be real,” Musk said.

Musk said the top goal of Tesla Bot was to make it safe.

“It’s intended to be a friend, of course,” Musk said.

The robot will be 5 feet 8 inches tall and 125 pounds. The head of the robot will include a screen to display useful information. Tesla says the robot will have “human-level hands.” The robot’s top speed will be about 5 MPH.

“At a physical level you can run away from it and most likely overpower it,” Musk said.

The robot leverages the technology developed for its Autopilot feature in its vehicles. The system includes eight cameras and the same computer found in Tesla cars.

The company did not offer any details on pricing for the robot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Why would Tesla suddenly dive into consumer, humanoid bots? At least I assume it's aimed at the consumer market, since it's "intended to be a friend."

I imagine that this will follow the same path as FSD:

1. Make grandiose claims: robot will be able to unload and put away groceries from your car, as well as play grandmaster-level chess. And babysit.
2. Take deposits for robot.
3. Several years late, initial robots are delivered. The "human level" hands have a thumb and two fingers; Elon explains that "hands are harder than we thought. Just look at how hard they are to draw!" They can't walk up or down stairs, but do routinely walk into walls. That's OK, though, because they receive software updates automatically, over the air. First update improves the robot's capability of picking up an egg, which it can now do without breaking the egg more than 80% of the time.
4. Updates add bizarre features that nobody wanted, but get a lot of YouTube time: robot makes loud farting noise when sitting down. "Chill mode" makes robot glance at you, then ignore you, when you give it a command. Robot can play Netflix and Hulu content on its facial screen.
5. A special, limited cadre of influencers gets the "robot can babysit" update. Putting the robot in babysitting mode displays a warning that you're responsible for the baby AT ALL TIMES. Nonetheless many users simply leave the baby alone with the robot, and record what happens with a nanny cam. The resulting YouTube videos range from hilarious to horrifying. There are fatalities.
6. Elon promises general availability of babysitting functions "In a couple of weeks". Months later, Elon says that this will actually come in new, completely re-written from the group up babysitting code V10. Or maybe V11.
7. And that's as far as I can take this, feature parity with FSD!

Please read this TMC post, the Tesla Bot is not at all a toy/ gadget, it is capitalizing on Tesla enormous advances in AI/ FSD Quick summary showing significant implementations in a couple years

not talking about other car makers. the new breed are ALL different. the old ford/gm/etc are the old breed. they have a lot in common, but the new guys are all unique.

we're talking about tesla. and I care about how well supported and well designed this set of cars is.

I'm not here for rockets or pipe dreams or tunnels. I'm here for cars.

and he's neglecting a LOT of his car business.

he's spreading himself and his money too thin. do just one or two things WELL. is that asking too much?
Tesla is currently limited by the lack of batteries and talent only - money is no longer a problem. Tesla is certainly NOT neglecting its car business - it is ramping up TWO huge new Gigafactories, with new major tech (battery, casting) that will reduce manufacturing costs. Tesla is also ramping up as fast as possible new charging stations.. what else do you want? He's not overspending on services, so far it is working fine.

"its working fine"

isn't there a cartoon about dogs in a room of fire?

keep saying that to yourself. eventually you'll believe it. up until you have to wait for parts or service or just can't contact anyone (and no one there cares).

lots of us know how we should be treated as customers.

uhmm. this isn't it.

we know that. even a dealership model, as bad as it is, you can still walk in there and at least talk to someone. phones are answered. no apps are needed.

tesla has the worst service in the business. if you dont see that, you are blind or a hopeless fanboy.

Reactions: Hank42
Why would Tesla suddenly dive into consumer, humanoid bots? At least I assume it's aimed at the consumer market, since it's "intended to be a friend."

I imagine that this will follow the same path as FSD:

1. Make grandiose claims: robot will be able to unload and put away groceries from your car, as well as play grandmaster-level chess. And babysit.
2. Take deposits for robot.
3. Several years late, initial robots are delivered. The "human level" hands have a thumb and two fingers; Elon explains that "hands are harder than we thought. Just look at how hard they are to draw!" They can't walk up or down stairs, but do routinely walk into walls. That's OK, though, because they receive software updates automatically, over the air. First update improves the robot's capability of picking up an egg, which it can now do without breaking the egg more than 80% of the time.
4. Updates add bizarre features that nobody wanted, but get a lot of YouTube time: robot makes loud farting noise when sitting down. "Chill mode" makes robot glance at you, then ignore you, when you give it a command. Robot can play Netflix and Hulu content on its facial screen.
5. A special, limited cadre of influencers gets the "robot can babysit" update. Putting the robot in babysitting mode displays a warning that you're responsible for the baby AT ALL TIMES. Nonetheless many users simply leave the baby alone with the robot, and record what happens with a nanny cam. The resulting YouTube videos range from hilarious to horrifying. There are fatalities.
6. Elon promises general availability of babysitting functions "In a couple of weeks". Months later, Elon says that this will actually come in new, completely re-written from the group up babysitting code V10. Or maybe V11.
7. And that's as far as I can take this, feature parity with FSD!
Holy *sugar*! this is about the most hilarious thing I have read in the last couple of years. Bravo my friend. Bravo. 👏 😂😂😂

Tesla is currently limited by the lack of batteries and talent only - money is no longer a problem. Tesla is certainly NOT neglecting its car business - it is ramping up TWO huge new Gigafactories, with new major tech (battery, casting) that will reduce manufacturing costs. Tesla is also ramping up as fast as possible new charging stations.. what else do you want? He's not overspending on services, so far it is working fine.
That would be nice if it were the case. I'd be happy to see them able to deliver cars that don't look as if they were built by drunks and painted with mops.

I agree with most members. Why do we need something new? Why not sit back and stick with what we have. Innovation leads to nothing. Who needs a cellphone to be able to call or be called from everywhere? And internet everywhere? Totally unnecessary. I am happy with my horse (with my son walking in front of it with a bell to warn everyone).

• Funny
Reactions: Hbrink and CLK350
I mostly agree with Don’t overthink it: Elon Musk’s Tesla Bot is a joke. After the headline, it begins with "A distraction and an empty promise".
Above said:
"Even by Musk’s standards, it was a bizarre and brilliant bit of tomfoolery: a multipurpose sideshow that trolled Tesla skeptics, fed the fans, ginned up the share price, and created some eye-catching headlines. The latter being particularly important in a week when most Tesla news has focused on a federal investigation into a tendency of the company’s Autopilot software to crash into parked emergency vehicles. Forget about all that, says Musk, just look at the person in the spandex suit! Next year, it’ll be a real robot, I promise"

And, sure enough, the Tesla fanboy site wrote Tesla (TSLA) rises on market digesting AI Day, primed to 'tackle world’s hardest problems' today.

So this is what Toyota has been up to instead of focusing on EVs, FSD, Energy Storage and Battery production. A basketball throwing bot.
I saw it in action at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 over in the Megaweb area.

FWIW, Honda surprised the world when it first showed Asimo many years ago. I just found Honda Global | robot development history and what I think was shown to the world was P3 or whatever came right after. At that time, they may have been the first or amongst the 1st w/a bi-pedal walking robot.

I'm surprised at all the naysaying in this thread, and the posters who think it's a joke or a distraction or that Elon wasn't serious. When has Elon ever announced something he wanted to do and then not followed through with the ardent pursuit of said objective? What is Elon's track record with achieving goals so far? Sure he is often behind his own optimistic schedules but that's to be expected when doing things no one else has ever done, isn't it?

I for one think the Teslabot is coming, it will work like Elon says it will, and the entire world economy will be forever changed once it does. Maybe I'm an optimist too like Elon but to me it seems like a matter of when, not if, now?