TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla-box: Anyone else receiving these spams?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chickenlittle, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

spammer got my e mail address

They sell after market products. I am concerned that my email address can only be linked to my having a tesla by either tesla itself or TMC. Does anyone know which? Will need to do some detective work

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

There's a lot of Black Friday emails circulating now. I got a few from Tesla related aftermarket companies this morning. My guess is the same as yours.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I received one of those emails too. Actually, it wouldn't be hard for a marketing company to get a list of Tesla owners from the DMV and then find the email addresses. Tesla, TMC, or other vendors needn't be involved.

4. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I got it to.

I've also taken a few EV feedback surveys, so that could be the infection vector...

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I received this last night at 9:50pm Eastern/ 6:50 Pacific Coast time.

Moderators are standing by....

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Doesn't this fall afoul of some form of legalities in the, almost too aptly named, "can-spam" act? is there a reporting mechanism there, would be great if this sort of behaviour was appropriately punished.

7. jerry33

Unfortunately, the can-spam act mostly means "can spam". And looking up the IP address shows that it's rated "good" so it won't be caught by most public RBLs.

8. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I got the email too. Trying to figure out how they got my email address.

9. FolsomMike

FolsomMike Member

Has anyone else read the full text on the 'Tesla box' email? It was obviously written by someone with a poor grasp of English. You'd have to be crazy to give them your credit card information.

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I know it's not from the TMC database as it came to a different email address. It came to the one I have on file with Tesla and I rarely give that one out other than for personal use. I hope that's just a coincidence, but I'm concerned as I rarely get spam at this email address.

11. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#11 SW2Fiddler, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    They couldn't have made it any more "Engrish Funny" if they tried.
    My email was received about three weeks ago...

12. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

That concerns me. Hopefully there isn't someone selling a list

13. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I am sure no one sold them a list - unless it was hackers. Hell if they can hack the OPM database, hacking a couple of forums would be relatively easy. Just saying - if you aren't following the rules a lot is possible.

14. Caligula

Caligula Member

What?!? I got a spam email???

THAT'S IT...

4CNjzIw.gif

15. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I know that the email used is one that can be gleaned relatively easily from my profile. It is not, however, there directly; one or two steps need be performed. I am the last person to be knowledgeable in how crawler-bots function.

More to the email: has anyone looked at the currency shown in the photos? Are those Thai? Chinese/Taiwanese?

16. msnow

msnow Active Member

I checked both this site (TMC) and Tesla's privacy policy and they both say they do not share email addresses other than a few obvious exceptions (e.g. law enforcement). However I also received an email a little while ago from T-Sportline and it occurred to me that Evannex is a reseller of their products. Evannex's privacy statement is a little different and I'm wondering if this could be one source of email addresses. Here's the pertinent language on the Evannex site (note the last sentence):
    "We may send personally identifiable information about you to other organizations when:

(i) We have your consent to share the information (you will be provided the opportunity to opt-out if you desire). For example, if you opt-in for emails we will share this information with our marketing provider."

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Just as an FYI, TMC is very protective of member data and would never sell the email list.

18. jerry33

Thanks Doug. I was sure that was the case.

19. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Again to emphasize my email came to an account that is not the one I registered with TMC. It is however the email I have on file with Tesla. And I have never ordered anything from Evannex or T sportline.

20. jerry33

I still believe the simplest answer is: get the names from the DMVs and then find the corresponding email addresses. It's usually not that hard. Especially when you are like me and have used the same email address for over twenty years.

Note that tesla-box wouldn't have had to do it themselves, there are many companies that provide mailing lists.