Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Branded Music Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a negotiating tactic -- telling Spotify to lower their licensing fees or Tesla will drop the service? Or, Spotify is trying to increase their licensing fee for the M3?... M3 may not be covered under the same agreement as the MS & MX.

A shame for those buying in at this bubble valuation.

Does it matter when the board is being rewarded for gross margin performance not profit?

The one last milestone is 30% gross margins.

(Development of music service wouldn't add to marginal costs, but the shaving off the licence from the vehicle cost would).

The cheaping out on the NVidia system is another example. Sure they might have to upgrade it FOC down the line to meet promised FSD ability, but for now it's more marginal cost saved. Even silly things like not having rain or light sensors.

At least to me there seems to be a chunk of decisions being made favouring gross margins, which are counterproductive to Tesla's longer term prosperity.

So it looks like TTunes (tesla tunes?) is included as the streaming option in Model 3 and also current S/X (no login information populated so you don't see it yet, but the code is all there already waiting to be enabled).

First appeared as part of 17.18.xx, same release that Model3 AP bits with HW2.5 info came with.

• Informative
Reactions: RayW and thegruf
Tesla does not really have "TTunes"

As ever with Elon's tweets. Read with care.
Factually correct, but a long way short of a flat dismissal of the concept.

couple that with @verygreen 's findings and you have the potential for a new Tesla music service but no guarantee of a release (perhaps in the event that commercial negotiations are unsuccessful).

Whatever, I just really wish that the streaming SQ would improve.

Is does further suggest that it is unlikely that we will ever see Carplay/Android Auto though if Tesla are continuing to tread their own path with Media.

Vertical integration gone wrong.

I highly doubt that "Tesla Music" will be as good as the current plethora of options available for your music streaming needs. Many doubts exist about this potential service

- wide variety of music selections (there are numerous different record labels to go through; Apple Music was okay because Apple already had relationships with all the major labels through iTunes)
- ability to use Tesla music outside the car through my phone / computer / connected home entertainment system
- global availability: can Tesla even approach the availability of Apple Music (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Availability_of_Apple_Music_in_the_World.svg) or even just Spotify (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Availability_of_Spotify_in_the_World.svg)
- discovery / recommendation / smart generated playlist features (Spotify shines here)

If you can take it out of the car, there may be those who will adopt it, valuing the integration into the car more than integration into the OS if they had Apple Music for example. If not, I and many others will see it as a non-attractive option and will opt to just pair our phones to the car via BT.

Allowing third party apps onto the Tesla environment, Apple Carplay / Android Auto, or screen mirroring, or even just fixing the infotainment going off of the countless complaints on this forum would suffice for virtually all Tesla owners, current and future. But I guess that's too much for Musk and his companies who are obsessed with vertical integration to a fault.

Reactions: smac