Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla branded tire repair kit?

woopenghua

Member
Mar 9, 2021
7
3
Vancouver
Just got the model 3 SR+ about three weeks ago and still learning things everyday. This is the first car I own that come with tubeless setup so I I wonder if anyone have experience with the Tesla branded tire repair kit? Do you think its necessary to have it in the car? Are there any alternative options I should be looking at instead? Thanks in advance.
 

alexgr

Member
Aug 13, 2019
498
398
Tulsa
Just got the model 3 SR+ about three weeks ago and still learning things everyday. This is the first car I own that come with tubeless setup so I I wonder if anyone have experience with the Tesla branded tire repair kit? Do you think its necessary to have it in the car? Are there any alternative options I should be looking at instead? Thanks in advance.
I always have a little pump and a sealant kit in my car, but it's not a Tesla branded one. I'd give about 80% chance that the tire repair kit won't work, and I carry it for another 20%. If you go to remote places where Tesla service won't serve and you worry about flat tires then I suggest you get a small wheel that you keep with you. Remember to get car jack adapters for your Tesla (can be useful anyway).

Congratulations on your new car.
I also wonder, when was your last car made that it still had tires with tubes?
 

tivoboy

Active Member
Jun 12, 2018
1,549
3,360
palo alto, ca
Tesla rebranded a European kit, which one can buy on Amazon, but it doesn’t ship to all states.. it’s odd that the Tesla one will ship to all states.. for 50-80$ It’s good piece of mind to have something in the car with you on road trips, otherwise a rover will come and swap out the tire.
 

stopcrazypp

Well-Known Member
Dec 8, 2007
9,939
4,850
Just got the model 3 SR+ about three weeks ago and still learning things everyday. This is the first car I own that come with tubeless setup so I I wonder if anyone have experience with the Tesla branded tire repair kit? Do you think its necessary to have it in the car? Are there any alternative options I should be looking at instead? Thanks in advance.
I don't have experience with the Tesla branded kit, but personally for the money I would rather get a scissor jack rated for the car (you may be able to repurpose one from a previous car, may also need a lug wrench), jack adapters (which you may need anyways as some tire shops don't have them), a 12V air compressor, and a tire plug kit. Some have suggested to also carry a block of wood (or those plastic camper levelers) to drive over and raise the car for better clearance (as not all jacks will otherwise fit).

That seems like it'll handle more situations and wouldn't make a mess inside the tires (which whoever is repairing the tire would have to clean up).
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Phlier

woopenghua

Member
Mar 9, 2021
7
3
Vancouver
I don't have experience with the Tesla branded kit, but personally for the money I would rather get a scissor jack rated for the car (you may be able to repurpose one from a previous car), jack adapters (which you may need anyways as some tire shops don't have them), a 12V tire pump, a tire plug kit. Some have suggested to also carry a block of wood (or those camper leveler) to drive over and raise the car for better clearance (as not all jacks will otherwise fit).

That seems like it'll handle more situations and wouldn't make a mess inside the tires (which whoever is repairing the tire would have to clean up).
Thanks for sharing your experience with me. This seems to be a better idea than dealing with sealant. Cheers.
 

woopenghua

Member
Mar 9, 2021
7
3
Vancouver
Tesla rebranded a European kit, which one can buy on Amazon, but it doesn’t ship to all states.. it’s odd that the Tesla one will ship to all states.. for 50-80$ It’s good piece of mind to have something in the car with you on road trips, otherwise a rover will come and swap out the tire.
Agreed, its more of a peace of mind than hoping I will actually need to use it (knock on the wood). Thanks for your reply!
 

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
1,427
1,774
Utah
I don't have experience with the Tesla branded kit, but personally for the money I would rather get a scissor jack rated for the car (you may be able to repurpose one from a previous car, may also need a lug wrench), jack adapters (which you may need anyways as some tire shops don't have them), a 12V air compressor, and a tire plug kit. Some have suggested to also carry a block of wood (or those plastic camper levelers) to drive over and raise the car for better clearance (as not all jacks will otherwise fit).

That seems like it'll handle more situations and wouldn't make a mess inside the tires (which whoever is repairing the tire would have to clean up).
This is what I do... no complaints.

The problem with goo type sealants is that our cars come with a sound deadening foam liner on the backside of the tread. More often than not, goo type sealants won't make it to where the puncture is, but will rather pool in one area of the foam. This leaves you with not just a flat tire, but a flat out-of-balance tire.

The advantage to a plug kit is that they are dead simple to use, and a plug is considered a permanent repair.

Living out here in the desert comes with a lot of good things, but one bad thing is the number of flat tires. We average three flats per year here. I've been using plug kits for nearly 35 years now, and never had a problem.

Just watch a couple of YouTube videos on how to use a plug kit. And one more tip: carry some rubber cement in your tire plug kit. Use it to lubricate the plug for easier insertion and easier plug tool removal. Using rubber cement drastically reduces the amount of force needed to properly place a plug and remove the tool. It makes it so easy that my wife actually did the last tire plug on her Sequoia by herself.

In addition to the stuff in the quoted post above, I also carry side cutters, standard pliers, a needle nose pliers, and a couple of pairs of rubber/vinyl gloves.

Make sure you test your 12v air compressor before tossing it in the car and forgetting about it.
 

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top