Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla bringing back RADAR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently Tesla registered a new high-res radar with the FCC.

Looks like it'll have blind spot and rear cross traffic alerts, too!

Waymo, Cruise, Zoox, Aurora, Motional, Baidu, Mobileye and others have all solved the sensor fusion challenge.

Do we know if the radar used by the listed companies are better (higher resolution) than Tesla's old radar?

Sensor fusion is much easier when the multiple sensors mostly agree. A high definition radar is going to agree with vision a lot more than a low-res radar. I've seen the visualizations of Tesla's old radar bounceback as the car went under an overpass. It is noisy as hell. How do you fuse garbage data? When can you trust it?

Do we know if the radar used by the listed companies are better (higher resolution) than Tesla's old radar?

Yes, they use much higher res than Tesla's old radar.

Sensor fusion is much easier when the multiple sensors mostly agree. A high definition radar is going to agree with vision a lot more than a low-res radar. I've seen the visualizations of Tesla's old radar bounceback as the car went under an overpass. It is noisy as hell. How do you fuse garbage data? When can you trust it?

True. I think a big reason Tesla struggled with sensor fusion is because the sensors were low res. Yes, it will be hard to match camera vision with low res radar. But the companies that use sensor fusion, use high res sensors that do match well. What was odd to me is that instead of simply upgrading the radar, like Tesla appears to be doing now, Elon just threw out radar and claimed that sensor fusion is too hard.

Reactions: QUBO
Given the higher cost for the HD radar compared to the crap one that has been in the existing fleet, it's likely this unit will be dedicated to the robotaxi model at first.

I believe MobilEye has this approach as well. They have a vision-only offering, as well as a decked-out sensor application.
unlikely, will prb go in the next gen AP with Cybertruck/future cars + new cameras. I don't see anything close to Robotaxi until the commercial fleet has demonstrated FSD performance. I also judge performance/capability/Tesla confidence based on the nag frequency - which is very often right now to the point of annoyance but needed for safety. I think robotaxi will be a thing someday, just not with the current cars.

unlikely, will prb go in the next gen AP with Cybertruck/future cars + new cameras. I don't see anything close to Robotaxi until the commercial fleet has demonstrated FSD performance. I also judge performance/capability/Tesla confidence based on the nag frequency - which is very often right now to the point of annoyance but needed for safety. I think robotaxi will be a thing someday, just not with the current cars.

I like that possibility too (better hardware for future consumer cars).

Elon did announce a dedicated robotaxi vehicle, anticipated production in 2024, and separate from consumer cars. Now, that could just be for Boring tunnels, but it seems reasonable that the dedicated robotaxi would have better sensors, because cost is less of a hurdle for non-consumer cars.

Reactions: K1Woods
I like that possibility too (better hardware for future consumer cars).

Elon did announce a dedicated robotaxi vehicle, anticipated production in 2024, and separate from consumer cars. Now, that could just be for Boring tunnels, but it seems reasonable that the dedicated robotaxi would have better sensors, because cost is less of a hurdle for non-consumer cars.
That's right he did. Looking forward to the design - could really be interesting. Different then the original lease collected Model 3, Ys robotaxi approach.