Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla broke my Autopilot -> Don't UPDATE!

Will Tesla fix this issue?

• Yes

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 57.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None chance of them changing this...liability is too great and now that 2 or 3 poor souls have lost their lives Tesla cannot ignore the heavy press coverage of "deadly autopilot" sensationalist news stories.

I just got a call from Palo Alto and they guy told me they've gotten lots of calls/messages about this and they are looking into it. So let's see.

So the "neutral" press won once again? Where are the articles about kids crashing their Lamborghinis? Should Lamborghini now stop selling to people under 30? Come one... it's getting ridiculous. How few accidents have happened over the past few years with AP. Elon knows this, you know this.

Reactions: Altes
I like the Cadillac system is more demanding, not less. If I glance at the radio and click the screen to change the channel, while I keep at least one hand on the wheel, the Tesla is happy, but the Cadillac will not be. Seems more likely that drivers look at their side mirrors, rear view mirror, center screen, passenger, any number of other places besides straight ahead through the windshield.
How long do you look at your radio/rear view mirror/etc? The Cadillac system doesn't appear to nag instantly from the videos I've seen online (I might go test drive it one of these weekends). Plus the seat vibration is a much better warning than having the top part of the screen flash to nag you.

Reactions: GSP
I did a 200km drive today and as always kept my hands on the steering wheel.

The car still didn't think it was enough and kept nagging me, forcing me to apply more pressure to the steering wheel.

SO annoying! Tesla, please fix this!

It isn’t pressure, it’s torque. Holding the wheel tighter does nothing, slightly shift your wheel clockwise or counter clockwise. It takes barely any effort.

• Helpful
Reactions: johnr
i dont get what the big deal is with all these posts.

i use autopilot daily and keep at least one hand on the wheel, it wont nag you. this isnt hands free driving, get over it. lol
Here is "the big deal" explanation from my point of view:

I use AP on freeways only. My driving style is to hold the wheel lightly with small but smooth corrections if needed /this is for straight road, turns are turns/. Using the same grip and torque with AP I still get nags so for me it takes more effort than driving muself. In other words AP is not assisting me in anything but the oposite - requires more effort.

For the record with my driving style I don't have any accidents caused by me but have avoided many so it is effective and save way to drive

Reactions: kgroschi
Prediction: We will have countless threads with titles like 'TESLA IS INVADING MY PRIVACY!!!' and 'How to Defeat the in Cabin Camera!' and 'I'm Not Buying a Tesla Because of THIS'.

I'm fairly sure that's the way we're going & I'm REALLY sure that there will be more people complaining about that than the nags. :)

Agreed, fortunately in most of the world Tesla owners won't have tracking stickers on their windshields....if it ever occurs in the U.S., I'll stop driving.

@kgroschi - you can thank the people who've been in accidents using AP for the more frequent nags. (I'd be willing to bet that a certain gov't agency required a more frequent check in.)...

In this case, Tesla isn't to blame for what we're dealing with right now. It's all our fellow drivers who decided they knew better than Tesla engineering regarding reliability and predictability of AP. It's why we cannot have nice things.
Really? You're blaming the victims who died because Autopilot steered them into stationary objects for us not having nice things??? Yours is the most insensitive posting of the day, I'm sorry to say.

please, let us know what your "fix" is!
I was thinking of asking the same question but I am pretty sure @kgroschi believes in "hands off" driving. So the only solution he has is to use something to "trick" the system. This would be something like "AutoPilot Buddy" or a "orange" or a "water bottle" etc. While testing this weekend I did use "hands off" to see how often the warning came up. I was somewhat comfortable and I liked the option and if I felt extremely comfortable with it I might consider one of these options. However, I do not feel AP is solid and neither does Tesla for that matter. Also, I wonder what would happen if I got into an accident and they found "AutoPilot Buddy" attach to the steering wheel. Would my insurance reject my claim because I was bypassing a safety "feature" of the car? I think I will still keep (rest) 1 hand on the wheel for now.

OMG... ANOTHER THREAD???

LOL... This has gotten comical at this point... There's like what? 10 threads about this now???

As I keep saying, I'm on 2018.21.9 and have used AP1 on roughly 500-1000 miles so far and not ONE nag... Zero... Zilch...

Come on people...

Jeff
AP1 for the win!!!. Hopefully Tesla will fix this in AP2 as well. At least for those of us that actually do keep our hands on the steering wheel with nags.

Last edited:
Really? You're blaming the victims who died because Autopilot steered them into stationary objects for us not having nice things??? Yours is the most insensitive posting of the day, I'm sorry to say.
I'm sorry you see it that way.

If you believe videos of drivers climbing into the backseat, or posts bragging about having shoved an orange in the steering wheel to fool the system to be 'blaming the victim, we are really on a different page.

If they were anything like the lady with the broken ankle from her car hitting the fire engine, then yes, they deserve blame. AP requires the driver stay alert and ready to take over, not for people to use their phones while driving. It also isn’t meant for use on local roads. If I relied on my TACC (I won’t mention the lane assist, since it’s a joke on the Volt) on my Volt to the point where I put my feet up on my dash like a jackass or I was busy texting on my phone so I couldn’t react in time to the TACC missing a stationary vehicle and running into it or it blew through a red light or stop sign, that would be my fault, not the system’s. AP is essentially a more advanced TACC with lane keeping and the driver is responsible for the vehicle at all times.

So the only solution he has is to use something to "trick" the system. This would be something like "AutoPilot Buddy" or a "orange" or a "water bottle" etc.

You are most probably right. Also, IMHO, using a "one hand on the wheel" is a trick in the same league as Buddy, Orange, Bottle (let's call it the BOB trick, for quickness!). Trying to perform a last second avoidance turn with only one hand is a sure fail with unpredictable consequences.

Here is "the big deal" explanation from my point of view:

I use AP on freeways only. My driving style is to hold the wheel lightly with small but smooth corrections if needed /this is for straight road, turns are turns/. Using the same grip and torque with AP I still get nags so for me it takes more effort than driving muself. In other words AP is not assisting me in anything but the oposite - requires more effort.

For the record with my driving style I don't have any accidents caused by me but have avoided many so it is effective and save way to drive

This x 100.

I usually drive with one hand on the wheel with autopilot and have started to drive with two hands on the wheel. But this new update doesn't recognize when I'm holding on with both hands. It seriously requires more effort now, which I believe is more dangerous.

Reactions: alcibiades
You are most probably right. Also, IMHO, using a "one hand on the wheel" is a trick in the same league as Buddy, Orange, Bottle (let's call it the BOB trick, for quickness!). Trying to perform a last second avoidance turn with only one hand is a sure fail with unpredictable consequences.
But it keeps me engaged and I can feel any unexpected wheel twitching very quickly.

With practice, I can get out of AP very easily without overreacting.

There is no way this is similar to a weight on the wheel.

Look at other drivers on the road. It appears to me that the majority are one hand cruisers.

Reactions: mblakele
Yes, many drivers, especially on freeways are "one handed".
But that is considered a NO NO by any experienced driver; I have been in at least 3 different "safety driving camps" which are a 3-4 days of full imersion driving with rally / track / endurance drivers as teachers, held on common everyday cars in closed track. They prepare the track in such a way to simulate everydays hazards, from the most common (and easy to avoid) to the most dangerous at high speed.
Every lesson starts with the very basics: how to correctly adjust the seat position, the rearmirrors, the whell high and depth, and how to keep a perfect control of the wheel with BOTH hands on it.
They are very demanding camps and you get at the end of the day exausted, but at the end you get an extremely accurate feeling of what a car can or can't do, and especially what YOU can or can't do. And you also learn how to "look forward for troubles" and basically the safest way out of any hazard is not to get in the hazardous situation!
So, the real safe way to drive a car is with both hands on the wheel: that's why I'm of the opinion the "one hand driving" is a trick as BOB is.