TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Broken into - twice in two weeks, weak spot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DJ999, Mar 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DJ999

DJ999 Member

#1 DJ999, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
    Last night my Tesla got broken in for the second time in Oakland, in less than two weeks. I had just gotten my car fixed the day before... The thieves followed the exact same pattern both times.

1) break rear quarter window from the passenger side (small one)
    2) stick hand and unlatch single rear seat
    3) check what's inside the trunk
    4) if there are valuables, break rear window
    5) get in the car through the window and steal everything

The alarm was not triggered as the doors were not opened. Replacing the small quarter window is $1100 as they have to replace the whole frame for both doors, big window is about $400. The first time a couple of guys "found" some of the belongings that were exchanged for money, very shady dudes; both homeless and one of them had a linkedin! that looked like a real scam (don't trust linkedin :D)

The dealer told that there has been a spike in break ins in San Francisco and that every weekend they get a car or two with broken windows. I am going to install the BlackVue cameras but I still think that the biggest problem here is that the thieves found a weak spot in the Teslas that makes it very vulnerable. I've even started to think how to reinforce the quarter window, if you look at it it's right by the seat latch. Have you guys seen this problem? Any ideas what to do?

I am now leaving no cover in the trunk but not sure how much it's going to help.

IMG_0610.JPG

• Informative x 7
    • Helpful x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. demundus

demundus Member

This is going to seem like an asshole question but... Why are you leaving your 6 figure car parked outside in Oakland?

• Like x 19
    • Disagree x 7
    • Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

That must be awful, I am shocked that Tesla's as advance that they are lack glass shatter or proximity alarm. In fact, it is difficult just to trigger the regular alarm.

I had my Acura RDX broken into (before I got my X) two years ago. Some guy name Max stole my laptop (that's what showed on Find my Mac but couldn't get a location). It happened right outside of Ghirardelli Squares in San Francisco. I live in SoCal so I was on vacation and the break in occurred on Christmas Eve so nobody was open next day to fix my windshield so I had to drive back home with a missing window.

Now I am very careful with my X, on my last trip to SF I parked in the hotel garage and Ubered around. I also have a blackvue but you should also get the just released tamper proof case for it.

I am curious if installing any film on the window would protect break ins.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I am as well.

5. Tam

Tam Active Member

How about a $20 Auto Glass Break Sensor/Alarm?

Auto glass is designed to break in emergency so it's hard to go against that.

However, if you want to defeat that, you can armor your car (bulletproofing) which costs about few hundreds of thousands of dollars.

• Funny x 1
  6. richrootes

richrootes Member

Perhaps it'd be prudent of Tesla to offer the ultrasonic detectors, as fitted to European models - as an option?

• Like x 3
  7. K-MTG

But this requires you to have a Viper system that would not even be feasible to install in a Tesla

• Informative x 2
  8. Tam

Tam Active Member

Thanks for the clarification as I am new at this.

Since Tesla has a constant 12V source, I expect a car alarm shop should be able to install an alarm system with glass breakage detection.

I imagine it would cost less than $500 for parts and of course you have to add on labor too.

9. K-MTG

But that would make the system to be external and carry an extra fob.

10. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Unfortunately the quarter window is the weak spot in most vehicle made in the last 10 years or so. The only thing you could do would be to put an aftermarket alarm in with a glass breakage sensor system. But seriously who pays attention to alarms these days? Might scare off a thieves. Might not.

Actually its the reverse, the window tint film helps retain the broken glass. Shatter the glass with blunt object/ automatic pin punch, push in the middle and pry from the top. The entire glass pane will easly come out.

• Informative x 1
  11. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Sigh...

Sounds like the 70s & 80s all over again. We used to make sure there was obviously nothing in the car (and drove a crappy station wagon). Others would just leave the windows open and have stock AM/FM radios. Cheaper to let the crooks root through your car than replace broken windows.

But I guess with a Tesla the 17" screen may become a target?

To OP, welcome to TMC. Sorry it is an unfortunate event post...

12. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

You can get systems that intergrate in the factory smart fob, I'm sure it wouldnt be too hard to intercept the lock/ unlock signal in the door harness. Look for one thats advertised as an alarm upgrade for factory keyless entry.

13. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

I do wonder how an aftermarket system may handle lock on walk away feature. But i do think its posible

14. PatrickCH4313

PatrickCH4313 Member

By that, you mean the 2 level of protection we got in Europe (Security Pack option):
    1. for doors and trunk
    2. for movement detection inside and moving the car (tow) including breaking a window

Looking at the manual (US), I don't find any reference to the Level 2 (Movement detection inside and moving the car).

• Informative x 2
  15. cynix

cynix Member

You can't order the optional security package outside Europe.

• Informative x 1
  16. PatrickCH4313

PatrickCH4313 Member

Reason why !

• Like x 2
  17. kort677

kort677 Active Member

2 points, the breaking of a window to gain entry is problematic for any vehicle, and why are you parking the car in such a place?

• Like x 2
  18. kort677

kort677 Active Member

#18 kort677, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    way back when I owned a porsche I avoided leaving it in unsecured locations and I never locked it, I felt as you that I rather let some thief have easy access than suffer the damages of their breaking something to gain entry. I never had an problem

• Informative x 1
  19. kort677

kort677 Active Member

why is anyone leaving anything of value in their car?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

terrible, I busted the guy who broke into my car twice, he's paying me $40 month for a long time now....