Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Broken into - twice in two weeks, weak spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. The lock to my trunk was busted during a burglary, so for years I used a screwdriver to open it instead of a key. My brother used to judge me heavily for not fixing it. When I moved away, I donated the car to him. He immediately and proudly fixed the lock. The very next day, someone busted it to get back in....

Years ago I parked at JFK and absentmindedly put my briefcase with car keys on top of the suitcase in the trunk of my Volvo 244. For some reason I closed the lid. Hmm, tickets and Passport and luggage locked up. Went to booth and got attendant to call a tow truck. Driver arrived shortly and said that he would have to bust the lock. I said yes, and within 5 seconds with a large screw driver and hammer blow the trunk was open. Service call charge was $ 14.- He did not ask me for ID or prove that I owned the car. I guess for another $ 14.- he would have opened the trunk of another parked car.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
On the original question about window films, you can get "security film" from most window tint installers. It's quite a bit thicker than normal window tint film. However, it doesn't stop the glass from breaking, it just holds it all together, and only slows down entry, not prevent it. For that, you'd need much thicker film anchored around the edges with adhesive - which means windows that can't be opened anymore.

Here's a demo video from 3M. They claim 55 seconds longer to gain entry, but clearly the guy wasn't trying hard. I'd say more like it adds 20 seconds. This is more relevant for walk-up attacks while the car is occupied than it is when sitting in a parking lot.

Years ago I parked at JFK and absentmindedly put my briefcase with car keys on top of the suitcase in the trunk of my Volvo 244. For some reason I closed the lid. Hmm, tickets and Passport and luggage locked up. Went to booth and got attendant to call a tow truck. Driver arrived shortly and said that he would have to bust the lock. I said yes, and within 5 seconds with a large screw driver and hammer blow the trunk was open. Service call charge was $ 14.- He did not ask me for ID or prove that I owned the car. I guess for another $ 14.- he would have opened the trunk of another parked car.
too bad he had to break things, a good thief would use a slim jim
did you have to leave your car unsecured for the duration of trip?

Cool map! geee it really looks like public parking in Oakland with a Tesla is a big no no. I never had any issues with my BMW M3 though... I guess there is not much space there to load stuff.
BMW M3 Coupe/Convertible or the sedan? If it's the coupe/convertible, I think thieves likely assume there is nothing inside, since as you point out the cargo capacity is low.

Model S, however, has class leading cargo capacity, plus being a hatchback, in general trunk security would be compromised compared to a regular sedan.

too bad he had to break things, a good thief would use a slim jim
did you have to leave your car unsecured for the duration of trip?

films like this work well in applications that they were designed for, security is not one of the applications. a good thief will hardly be slowed by that film so save your money.
a lock only stops honest people

This is not entirely true. Most crimes of this sort are crimes of opportunity - quick smash and grabs. Increase the difficulty or time it takes and it increases the chance of getting caught.

Most perps recognize this and can be deterred with some mitigation above and beyond what they're used to. Same reason why the Club steering wheel locks are so effective. It's not that a Club can't be broken. It's that it's not worth the extra time or risk. Better to move on to an easier mark.

Again, nothing is going to stop a determined thief, but that's just it - most aren't determined.

hahaha you are quite naive, the club? really? how many of those things do you see anymore? they're easily defeated and are useless!
Do you disagree that deterrence has a place to play in crime prevention?

The DOJ, for one, says it does.
Five Things About Deterrence

Again, increase the difficulty and/or time to break in and you deter most (but not all) criminals. The threat of getting caught is a strong demotivator. It's a well studied phenomenon.

We can argue over the relative value of one deterrence mechanism over another, but it's hard to have a reasoned conversation if you flat out disagree with the underlying premise here.

What sick people, over the fall I had someone cut my convertible top open to take $10-20 cdn in change (or aboot $0.25 usd) a few ball caps and my Serengeti sunglasses. First tried to smash the window and failed there, so they cut a gaping 2' long hockey stick shape hole in the top and stuck their arm in. Preferably it would have latched onto the guy and held him for a public shaming...

The Tesla fearing harm, should start up, make noise and drive off haha =)

Do you disagree that deterrence has a place to play in crime prevention?

The DOJ, for one, says it does.
Five Things About Deterrence

Again, increase the difficulty and/or time to break in and you deter most (but not all) criminals. The threat of getting caught is a strong demotivator. It's a well studied phenomenon.

We can argue over the relative value of one deterrence mechanism over another, but it's hard to have a reasoned conversation if you flat out disagree with the underlying premise here.
there is real deterrence and there is feel good nonsense.
real deterrence isn't false actions that make you feel good but do little to protect yourself or property. alarms on cars, silly steering wheels devices make you feel good but do little to deter thieves. the best way to avoid being victimized is to not be in places where there is constant danger.
In this particular case, paying to park in a secure location would be more of a deterrence than any sort of device installed in the car.

Nope, on the older Model S you had to pull the release that was located inside under the glove box. So you would have to break a window to get into the car to get into the Frunk: "Opening with No Power
If Model S has no electrical power, or if you are unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen or key, pull the mechanical release lever located below the glove box. This releases the primary catch."
When you say older, can you define that? Is 2013 older or 2015, 2016?

IMG_3304.JPG
My tesla S got broken into yesterday. Same window, same move of dropping rear seat, but my dog was in the car :D. I am hoping she scared the poo out of them.

I have a dark tint on the rear windows so people that don't know that Tesla's AC can stay on when I leave the dog in there don't break the window.

It was daylight, around 6pm, at dinner in Albany CA (north of oakland and berkeley, east of SF). I guess the word is out to the car thieves. I had 5 of the triangle windows replaced in my 1988 Honda Accord in San Francisco. Finally taped "no radio" on the rear triangles.

Fought with the insurance company morons for over 2 hours today. Even though only glass was broken ($220), per Tesla, we have to replace the whole upper chrome molding ($650) plus labor. This makes it a comprehensive claim, not a "glass only" claim.

This is my current patch. After the window's replaced, I have some "beware of dogs" stickers ordered.

P.S. that is sheet metal gooped onto the edge with 2 layers of cardboard underneath. Maybe I should replace w black polycarbonate or thick acrylic?

Last edited:
Mudfud I was just reading this page and thinking too bad you couldn't have an attack dog inside and then came to your post. Hope your dog had a terrifying growl. Assume he didn't get a piece of them? Notice any "water" on the pavement below your broken window :p. In any event sorry your car got hit. The insurance info was enlightening. Did you win on that issue?

We've owned several Honda Accords with hatchbacks and fortunately the only thing that ever got stolen from them was the logo emblem. This was in the Chicago area years ago and it seemed like everyone's was being stolen. Don't get it but certainly not like having your windows smashed. My ex however had his Accord hatchback window smashed for some gym clothes. I know some sneakers can be expensive but never understood the desire to grab smelly gym clothes. Probably just tossed afterwards after looking through the bag. His experience made me think I'd be better with a locking trunk (not that those can't be popped) but here we are with a MS. We have two cars and we do try to keep in mind where we might be when we leave the house but it can happen even in good areas in shopping malls, etc.

Could they create (and retrofit) a keyed seat lock? Guess without an actual key for the car a special purpose key destined to be lost.

I purchased a replacement tailgate latch for my truck that includes a key to keep the tailgate from walking away.