Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Broken into - twice in two weeks, weak spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car on October and it was a "mandatory" package. I have followed the design studio for longer and i never saw it as an option. It always said "included"
I must've remembered the year wrong then. It was definitely optional at one stage. When I ordered my car at the end of 2014 I even called them to ask if I can add that option, and they said no, it was an EU-only option.

Just scrolled this post and only found references to 2 items (see below). Has anyone installed a 3rd party alarm system on their tesla? My window just got broken into and trying to find a way to protect against a repeat breakin... Thanks in advance... Im going to go visit a car alarm installation shop in L.A. this week....

DEI 506T Audio Sensor - Glass Breakage Detector - for car alarms
BlackVue DR650/DR550 Tamperproof Case for Front Camera

found this on another post
Directed 506T
just out of curiosity what do you think an alarm will do to prevent a smash and grab attack on your car?

• Helpful
Reactions: dow
Could we not add a simple broken glass alarm? I found several add on units that are cheap.
DEI 506T Audio Sensor - Glass Breakage Detector - for car alarms

Would need to tie into the alarm, or just tap into the open door circuit, so the alarm triggers an open door state.

Still its likely it will do no good, and your stuff will be gone and glass all over the seats, still I would like my phone telling me what to expect.

J

Glass breakage sensors, proximity sensors or shock sensors should be easy to install in any vehicle with a factory alarm, including Teslas.

Just connect the trigger wire to the door, frunk or trunk light switch.
You will also need to find a power source that turns on when the car is awake, like the cigarette lighter.

When the cigarette lighter has power, it switches a relay that disconnects power to the sensors. You do that so the car doesn't think the door, frunk or trunk are opening while you're driving.

just out of curiosity what do you think an alarm will do to prevent a smash and grab attack on your car?

It won't prevent it, but when the alarm goes off, hopefully the thief will not stick around.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dow
Last night my Tesla got broken in for the second time in Oakland, in less than two weeks. I had just gotten my car fixed the day before... The thieves followed the exact same pattern both times.

1) break rear quarter window from the passenger side (small one)
2) stick hand and unlatch single rear seat
3) check what's inside the trunk
4) if there are valuables, break rear window
5) get in the car through the window and steal everything

The alarm was not triggered as the doors were not opened. Replacing the small quarter window is $1100 as they have to replace the whole frame for both doors, big window is about $400. The first time a couple of guys "found" some of the belongings that were exchanged for money, very shady dudes; both homeless and one of them had a linkedin! that looked like a real scam (don't trust linkedin :D)

The dealer told that there has been a spike in break ins in San Francisco and that every weekend they get a car or two with broken windows. I am going to install the BlackVue cameras but I still think that the biggest problem here is that the thieves found a weak spot in the Teslas that makes it very vulnerable. I've even started to think how to reinforce the quarter window, if you look at it it's right by the seat latch. Have you guys seen this problem? Any ideas what to do?

I am now leaving no cover in the trunk but not sure how much it's going to help.

View attachment 217399

Sorry to hear about this man! Did I see your Tesla parked at the Berkeley Bowl yesterday? It had a plastic cover for that portion of the window!

Last night my Tesla got broken in for the second time in Oakland, in less than two weeks. I had just gotten my car fixed the day before... The thieves followed the exact same pattern both times.

The alarm was not triggered as the doors were not opened. Replacing the small quarter window is $1100 as they have to replace the whole frame for both doors, big window is about $400. The first time a couple of guys "found" some of the belongings that were exchanged for money, very shady dudes; both homeless and one of them had a linkedin! that looked like a real scam (don't trust linkedin :D)

The dealer told that there has been a spike in break ins in San Francisco and that every weekend they get a car or two with broken windows. I am going to install the BlackVue cameras but I still think that the biggest problem here is that the thieves found a weak spot in the Teslas that makes it very vulnerable. I've even started to think how to reinforce the quarter window, if you look at it it's right by the seat latch. Have you guys seen this problem? Any ideas what to do?

I am now leaving no cover in the trunk but not sure how much it's going to help.

View attachment 217399

My Tesla got broken into the same way May 30th in Milpitas. I lost laptops and a camera, which is not that big a deal, but lost some personal items in a different backpack that is important only to us.

How did you find the people who 'found' your stuff? Did they contact you?

View attachment 217399
If you're subject to a lot of break-ins maybe you could put a ThinPac® dye-pack in satchel for them to take. Even if they don't get caught it will ruin their day.

Reactions: Weezer Fan
I would like the car to electrocute the bastards. Unfortunately, in Australia, if that could rigged up, you would be open to serious charges like grievous bodily harm or even attempted murder. Even if there was a warning sign!!
From my primary school days, I recall a gag box of playing cards a friend of mine would hold out in front of his buddies and ask them to open it, by sliding out the drawer-like inner box which held the cards, whereupon the opener (with thumb on one side of the inner drawer, and pointer finger on the other) would receive a nasty zap across his hand. It was a homemade affair, with metallic foil contacts glued to the sides of the inner box where the victim's fingers would be placed, and inside the drawer was a battery and some sort of step-up coil and accompanying electrical parts. It would be tempting to rig up something like that, with the foil contacts applied to the Tesla Model S rear seat release lever. The level of surprise this might generate could discourage further activity around the car.

More realistically (and less prone to legal liability ;)), perhaps Tesla should create a mechanical interlock such that the door has to be opened before the seat release switch can be operated. This could also be an opening for a clever after-market product, perhaps?

I've filed a feature request with Tesla via their roadside assist number, pointing out that rear quarterwindow break-ins are becoming frequent in both the Bay Area and LA region, and suggesting three possible enhancements to discourage them: 1) creating a mechanical interlock so that the rear seats can not be lowered unless the adjacent rear door is open; or, 2) use some sort of super-strong or metal-mesh-containing reinforced glass for that panel; or, 3) offer an optional metal panel for that opening in place of the glass.

Why my concern? I've fallen prey to this vandalism. Please refrain from "Oh, you idiot!" replies :p: I parked on a major one-way street in Oakland on Friday early evening; it was busy with pedestrians and still light outside. I returned to my car to find the driver-side quarter panel had been smashed, and the wider half of the split rear seat lowered. The trunk had been empty when I parked, and there was no evidence of further damage or theft. No more street parking in Oakland, I guess, regardless of seemingly hopeful conditions -- attended garages only.

It took quite a while to clean up the mess when I got home, and I remain concerned about tiny glints of light that show up in the perforations of my ventilated leather seats (presumably tiny pieces of glass). After photographing the original state of damage and removing remaining chunks of tempered glass before they fell off, I applied blue tape to the edges of remaining glass to prevent further chunks from falling into the car, and improvised a temporary cover for the hole. I then fabricated a plastic panel to temporarily fill in the opening in a more visually unnoticeable manner, more resistant to wind noise (as a frequent customer, I was given a 47-cent scrap of thin plastic by the kind folks at TAP Plastics). I attach a scan of the piece in case it is of use to someone else. It is very close to a perfect fit for the quarterwindow. I sprayed it semi-mat black and taped it into place using transparent packaging tape (to make it easily removable for the insurance adjustor's visit).

I've filed a police report and insurance claim, and called the local Tesla service center. They have the glass in stock and have placed one window aside for me, pending the visit from an insurance appraiser.

Attachments

• 2017_Tesla_S_Rear_QuarterwIndow_Panel.pdf
    631.7 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: scottm
Thanks berkeley_ecar

The fixed sunroof of the Smart EV is made of some kind of resilient smoke tinted plastic, not glass. I really liked that... after many miles is not showing appreciable scratches. You can push on it and will flex, but would be a bugger to try and smash using common street thief techniques...

I'm pro plastic... that film is too flimsy let's step it up a notch:

Why not just make permanent polycarbonate triangle windows as an extra layer of deterrent placed on the inside of the car, fixed behind the trim pieces using strong adhesive glue it right to the frame of the car? It would probably be enough to cause the perpetrator to move on to the next car..

Reactions: berkeley_ecar