Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Broken into - twice in two weeks, weak spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night my Tesla got broken in for the second time in Oakland, in less than two weeks. I had just gotten my car fixed the day before... The thieves followed the exact same pattern both times.

1) break rear quarter window from the passenger side (small one)
2) stick hand and unlatch single rear seat
3) check what's inside the trunk
4) if there are valuables, break rear window
5) get in the car through the window and steal everything

The alarm was not triggered as the doors were not opened. Replacing the small quarter window is $1100 as they have to replace the whole frame for both doors, big window is about $400. The first time a couple of guys "found" some of the belongings that were exchanged for money, very shady dudes; both homeless and one of them had a linkedin! that looked like a real scam (don't trust linkedin :D)

The dealer told that there has been a spike in break ins in San Francisco and that every weekend they get a car or two with broken windows. I am going to install the BlackVue cameras but I still think that the biggest problem here is that the thieves found a weak spot in the Teslas that makes it very vulnerable. I've even started to think how to reinforce the quarter window, if you look at it it's right by the seat latch. Have you guys seen this problem? Any ideas what to do?

I am now leaving no cover in the trunk but not sure how much it's going to help.

IMG_0610.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That must be awful, I am shocked that Tesla's as advance that they are lack glass shatter or proximity alarm. In fact, it is difficult just to trigger the regular alarm.

I had my Acura RDX broken into (before I got my X) two years ago. Some guy name Max stole my laptop (that's what showed on Find my Mac but couldn't get a location). It happened right outside of Ghirardelli Squares in San Francisco. I live in SoCal so I was on vacation and the break in occurred on Christmas Eve so nobody was open next day to fix my windshield so I had to drive back home with a missing window.

Now I am very careful with my X, on my last trip to SF I parked in the hotel garage and Ubered around. I also have a blackvue but you should also get the just released tamper proof case for it.

I am curious if installing any film on the window would protect break ins.

How about a $20 Auto Glass Break Sensor/Alarm?

Auto glass is designed to break in emergency so it's hard to go against that.

However, if you want to defeat that, you can armor your car (bulletproofing) which costs about few hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But this requires you to have a Viper system that would not even be feasible to install in a Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG and Tam
But this requires you to have a Viper system that would not even be feasible to install in a Tesla

Thanks for the clarification as I am new at this.

Since Tesla has a constant 12V source, I expect a car alarm shop should be able to install an alarm system with glass breakage detection.

I imagine it would cost less than $500 for parts and of course you have to add on labor too.

Thanks for the clarification as I am new at this.

Since Tesla has a constant 12V source, I expect a car alarm shop should be able to install an alarm system with glass breakage detection.

I imagine it would cost less than $500 for parts and of course you have to add on labor too.

But that would make the system to be external and carry an extra fob.

Have you guys seen this problem? Any ideas what to do?
Unfortunately the quarter window is the weak spot in most vehicle made in the last 10 years or so. The only thing you could do would be to put an aftermarket alarm in with a glass breakage sensor system. But seriously who pays attention to alarms these days? Might scare off a thieves. Might not.

I am as well.
Actually its the reverse, the window tint film helps retain the broken glass. Shatter the glass with blunt object/ automatic pin punch, push in the middle and pry from the top. The entire glass pane will easly come out.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Sigh...

Sounds like the 70s & 80s all over again. We used to make sure there was obviously nothing in the car (and drove a crappy station wagon). Others would just leave the windows open and have stock AM/FM radios. Cheaper to let the crooks root through your car than replace broken windows.

But I guess with a Tesla the 17" screen may become a target?

To OP, welcome to TMC. Sorry it is an unfortunate event post...

Perhaps it'd be prudent of Tesla to offer the ultrasonic detectors, as fitted to European models - as an option?

By that, you mean the 2 level of protection we got in Europe (Security Pack option):
1. for doors and trunk
2. for movement detection inside and moving the car (tow) including breaking a window

Looking at the manual (US), I don't find any reference to the Level 2 (Movement detection inside and moving the car).

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG and Chaz
Last night my Tesla got broken in for the second time in Oakland, in less than two weeks. I had just gotten my car fixed the day before... The thieves followed the exact same pattern both times.

The alarm was not triggered as the doors were not opened. Replacing the small quarter window is $1100 as they have to replace the whole frame for both doors, big window is about $400. The first time a couple of guys "found" some of the belongings that were exchanged for money, very shady dudes; both homeless and one of them had a linkedin! that looked like a real scam (don't trust linkedin :D)

The dealer told that there has been a spike in break ins in San Francisco and that every weekend they get a car or two with broken windows. I am going to install the BlackVue cameras but I still think that the biggest problem here is that the thieves found a weak spot in the Teslas that makes it very vulnerable. I've even started to think how to reinforce the quarter window, if you look at it it's right by the seat latch. Have you guys seen this problem? Any ideas what to do?

I am now leaving no cover in the trunk but not sure how much it's going to help.
2 points, the breaking of a window to gain entry is problematic for any vehicle, and why are you parking the car in such a place?

Reactions: dow and StoXto3toY
Sigh...

Sounds like the 70s & 80s all over again. We used to make sure there was obviously nothing in the car (and drove a crappy station wagon). Others would just leave the windows open and have stock AM/FM radios. Cheaper to let the crooks root through your car than replace broken windows.
way back when I owned a porsche I avoided leaving it in unsecured locations and I never locked it, I felt as you that I rather let some thief have easy access than suffer the damages of their breaking something to gain entry. I never had an problem

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: phaduman