Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Bros Skid Plates - Got Em

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up the Tesla bros skid plates and though I haven’t put them on I’m already not impressed…

I opened the first box for the smaller of the two plates and the sound deadener (urethane sound dampener) isn’t even remotely centered, and the plate has clearly been damaged and shipping because they did a poor job putting on the corner protectors.

I’m hoping that the bolts that you used to install this are the ones that are already on the car when you take the other one off…

Because there is no hardware in either of the boxes…

And the larger the two plates has the same problem with the urethane foam being slapped on there not in any sort of straight manner.

Attachments

• B2901103-522C-4DB9-9A60-0E70B9F27E4E.jpeg
    B2901103-522C-4DB9-9A60-0E70B9F27E4E.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 98C4D581-89F5-4670-91C3-92FDF32B2440.jpeg
    98C4D581-89F5-4670-91C3-92FDF32B2440.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 297
These are the same skid plates that RPM Tesla (and AliExpress) sells. I have them on my MYLR and they are a huge improvement over stock in terms of protection of the drive units and coolant lines. Yes, the urethane foam looks like it was put on by a 4 year old but to me its not a big deal. My set also came with one of the corners bent from shipping - the aluminum is annealed so it is easy to gently bend back into shape. The stock bolts are used - make sure to gently remove them from the car cause Tesla puts a TON of loctite on them. I modified the rear skid plate and pop riveted a custom aluminum L bracket on either side so that the stock fender liner clip can attach to the skid plate.

Last edited:
Should have bought from MPP. Yes they cost more but they also are much better in quality.
MPP only makes the front skidplate and objectively they are not better quality than the imported ones - I have handled both. MPP's is a flat plate that requires standoff hardware and not contoured to fit the OEM mounting locations like RPM/Tesbros ones. Don't get me wrong I love MPP parts and have their whole suspension setup on my MYLR, but in terms of skidplates it is a bit of a wash compared to others on the market. Now if someone were to make them with 3/16" thick aluminum, that would be a whole other ballgame in terms of durability and not much heavier.

Reactions: RIPmyAMG
MPP only makes the front skidplate and objectively they are not better quality than the imported ones - I have handled both. MPP's is a flat plate that requires standoff hardware and not contoured to fit the OEM mounting locations like RPM/Tesbros ones. Don't get me wrong I love MPP parts and have their whole suspension setup on my MYLR, but in terms of skidplates it is a bit of a wash compared to others on the market. Now if someone were to make them with 3/16" thick aluminum, that would be a whole other ballgame in terms of durability and not much heavier.
Cool, thanks for the input. How think is the MPP skit plate currently?

I ended up taking off the sound abatement stuff…. Because it was put on there so badly. I then coded both of the plates with 3M heavy duty rubberized undercarriage coat. About three coats.

Then I installed the plates…

Only to find out that the front one wouldn’t lineup because the holes were in space properly… so I had to enlarge two of the holes.

Overall those plates are a bit of a *sugar* show in that their quality is fundamentally low and they are extremely overpriced for what they are.

I am extremely grateful that I bought them with a 25% off coupon.

Not sure about other's experiences but the holes on the ones I got from RPM lined up just fine with no adjustments required. I will say that at full retail they are overpriced but I got mine also at 25% off. If after a lot of driving, I end up trashing my front one, I will probably draw a new one up in CAD and have my buddies at SendCutSend laser cut it for me - maybe out of aluminum or titanium/carbon fiber/FRP if I'm feeling adventurous.

Not sure about other's experiences but the holes on the ones I got from RPM lined up just fine with no adjustments required. I will say that at full retail they are overpriced but I got mine also at 25% off. If after a lot of driving, I end up trashing my front one, I will probably draw a new one up in CAD and have my buddies at SendCutSend laser cut it for me - maybe out of aluminum or titanium/carbon fiber/FRP if I'm feeling adventurous.

Keep me in the loop. I am local to you and I am interested in a 3/16 piece. Maybe make a production run of 5 to make it worth their time?

Keep me in the loop. I am local to you and I am interested in a 3/16 piece. Maybe make a production run of 5 to make it worth their time?
I'd be interested in one also. A skid plate will probably be my next purchase for my car since I recently lowered it. I am also local and we know how terrible the roads in OC can be. If not, I may move forward with the MPP plate.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I think it would be very difficult for Tesla to void the warranty given how flimsy the plastic parts are by comparison.

Don’t get me wrong these are not exactly the most durable amazing pieces of kit.

That being said they will take a reasonable impact that would probably destroy the plastic pieces… And they will probably bend too…. But not easily rip off.