Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla built their own ERP software - maybe it sucks - explains poor communication?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A common theme of many of the "gripe" posts and threads on TMC seems to be that Tesla often does a poor job internally of communicating with customers. I stumbled across an article recently which stated that Elon Musk decided early on to have Tesla's ERP (enterprise resource planning) software custom built from scratch by employees - rather than purchasing a package from one of the big vendors such as Oracle, SAP, Microsoft etc.

Another common theme on these boards is that Tesla's internal culture seems to lend itself to leaving bugs un-fixed in the software which runs the actual vehicles and interfaces with drivers.

So this got me wondering - perhaps Tesla's home-grown ERP software is also buggy, creaky, poorly developed and incomplete - and I wonder if that might contribute at all to some of the communication issues.

I could be 100% wrong on this - it's mere speculation.

A common theme of many of the "gripe" posts and threads on TMC seems to be that Tesla often does a poor job internally of communicating with customers. I stumbled across an article recently which stated that Elon Musk decided early on to have Tesla's ERP (enterprise resource planning) software custom built from scratch by employees - rather than purchasing a package from one of the big vendors such as Oracle, SAP, Microsoft etc.

Another common theme on these boards is that Tesla's internal culture seems to lend itself to leaving bugs un-fixed in the software which runs the actual vehicles and interfaces with drivers.

So this got me wondering - perhaps Tesla's home-grown ERP software is also buggy, creaky, poorly developed and incomplete - and I wonder if that might contribute at all to some of the communication issues.

I could be 100% wrong on this - it's mere speculation.

So that would make it better than any of the ERP's you mentioned above [emoji12]. Plus I'm sure he wanted to implement it within a 10 year timeframe [emoji13].