Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Buying experience, is it a Gill Gunderson experience ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please note this is not a Tesla bashing, but just some thing i have noted while i am eagerly awaiting for mine, i have test driven one and loved it.

Firstly let me explain the Gil Gunderson experience if you watch The Simpsons :
ADeA.gif

I have put my order in on Feb 2022 i can understand the wait but when i read the experience from others here (You all are amazing) it feels like i am paying about $80K for a car that comes with speakers attached but not activated, it also noted a lot of people here recommend to get vinyl covering or something to protect paint from chips

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.34.20 PM.png

i have also noted that the car now does not even come with its own charger and all new orders have to pay $600 just to keep their vehicle charge , even though the price for the vehicle has gone up by around $3000 or so. I hope new orders do not come with a Sticker on the car saying Batteries not included. I have also noted something as simple as mud flaps do not come with the car Is it also true that it is a good idea to purchase a rubber seal to place around the car to prevent wind noise? then there are people here recommending to purchase Frunk noise dampener . It just seems like you purchase a vehicle that is about 80% complete then you have to spend a fair amount on what is labelled as "Tessories" to complete your vehilce. Seems like the Apple Model:

392e32c6156efcf494ff242dc26afe9c.png

Then i have noted BYD a simple cheaper car also from China comes prebuilt with pretty much everything for about *0% of the price.

I am just not sure that i can recommend some one else to spend close to $80K on an incomplete car. I have heard and seen a lot of memes of BMW too and yes it is a joke with what is happening, I don't know are we as consumers creating this kind of market for us? Please let me know what your thoughts are too please!

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Audietron and Tiger
Seriously if you dont like the car you have ordered cancel it buy something else.
As i mentioned in my original post i loved the car and was one of the luck ones to get in before the price increase just reading through a lot of the forums and looking at all the things people have been talking about just made me think. So i thought i ask you all to see any one else was thinking the same way?

Too much time on your hands and too much time reading reviews and forums. Don’t worry, I understand there is a lot of excitement and anxiety when laying down close to $80k for a new car.

A lot of the accessories/ aftermarket stuff you mentioned is probably unnecessary and just down to personal circumstances and what they expect/want from a car.

Where are you based? Perhaps a current owner can take you for a drive around and answer any questions you may have about the car and ownership experience in NZ?

Reactions: Ecoli and Audietron
Please note this is not a Tesla bashing, but just some thing i have noted while i am eagerly awaiting for mine, i have test driven one and loved it.

Firstly let me explain the Gil Gunderson experience if you watch The Simpsons :
View attachment 839477

I have put my order in on Feb 2022 i can understand the wait but when i read the experience from others here (You all are amazing) it feels like i am paying about $80K for a car that comes with speakers attached but not activated, it also noted a lot of people here recommend to get vinyl covering or something to protect paint from chips

View attachment 839482

i have also noted that the car now does not even come with its own charger and all new orders have to pay $600 just to keep their vehicle charge , even though the price for the vehicle has gone up by around $3000 or so. I hope new orders do not come with a Sticker on the car saying Batteries not included. I have also noted something as simple as mud flaps do not come with the car Is it also true that it is a good idea to purchase a rubber seal to place around the car to prevent wind noise? then there are people here recommending to purchase Frunk noise dampener . It just seems like you purchase a vehicle that is about 80% complete then you have to spend a fair amount on what is labelled as "Tessories" to complete your vehilce. Seems like the Apple Model:

View attachment 839483

Then i have noted BYD a simple cheaper car also from China comes prebuilt with pretty much everything for about *0% of the price.

I am just not sure that i can recommend some one else to spend close to $80K on an incomplete car. I have heard and seen a lot of memes of BMW too and yes it is a joke with what is happening, I don't know are we as consumers creating this kind of market for us? Please let me know what your thoughts are too please!

Funny one...

don't let anyone tell you not to speak up what you feel about your experience - it's your experience, anyone telling you to cancel the order or sell the car should mind their own business.

I can comment on some of the factors based on my own first hand experience.

1. You don't buy Tesla car for quality built luxury cars, specially not model 3 or Y... but you buy it for driving experience - or experience not driving a car when you feel like it, and let it drive for you... Tesla cars and specially model 3 is low end targeted car focussed on trying out all new features before rolling out to Model S and X... I bought model 3 because that's the only option was available - booked model S/X so at earliest opportunity I can replace for more premium and quality build.
  2. Colour quality and paint protection are issues for quality conscious... if you like drive-in carwash, your car clean, paint quality tip-top, protection from stone chips, and long life out of car... wrap it and ceramic coat it... worth all the money spent.... otherwise, out of the box car should be ok for you... not the best but not the worst paint quality.
  3. charger included in car is of no use seriously... most destination charger are faster than that, all outdoor chargers got cables... included charger for slowest trickle charge... if not getting take mine - it's just useless unless stuck in middle of no where with power plug and few hours on hand - very unlikely in New Zealand.... AA support does emergency charge or free tow for members.
  4. cars from china and many other countries comes with all features and stuff... only thing is noone including tesla got them right... at least tesla got it beta tested by masses (bad) so chances they will be perfected before most.... only reason I bought Tesla, else I am Audi fan.
  5. Tesla reduced $3000 last June/July 2020 plus had paid heated seats and added them back around dec/Jan 2021 when making heated seat free... same as they only had FSD (11400) and now have enhanced autopilot also available (5700)... it's like Easter, Christmas, Waitangi day specials... offer duration gone - nothing there to complain...
Ultimately you made decision to buy based on some factors... decide to receive the car or not based on similar factors.... do your research... ask difficult questions, as you are paid customer buying a product with set specification and quality checks and you are entitled to ask about your safety and product quality, noone can take that from you....

personally, I would say get model 3, also book model S if in your budget... sell model 3 when finally getting model S... that way you get quality you are looking for,.. resell values are thru sky, someone was even trying to sell one for some 600K plus - lol.... clean car discount on model 3 will make it up for any loss when selling and getting model S.... or clean car payment will pay for car wrapping (I got $9000 package with 4 years maintenance and car detailing, mostly paid by clean car payment).

Sound proofing seals $36, most car needs them and they are worth it (DIY fitting)... I added some 45-50 piece accessories... it's all personal preference and personal touch....

I had a bit more time on my hands and thought i’d respond to your concerns.

1. Charger not being included - Tesla must be reviewing usage data and determined most people don’t rely on it? Why give something for free when rarely used? A few years ago the wall charger was free but most found the cost to install too prohibitive and never bothered.

2. Mud flaps - how many new similar cars do you see with mudflaps? I just looked at the two other cars parker in my garage (2004 and 2007 VWs - no mudflaps. Having mudflaps probably impacts efficiency?

3. Noise reduction strips - because an EV is so quiet you notice noise that you would otherwise not notice with an ICE. I notice tyre roar quite a bit but i just raise the volume of the radio but the sound is noticeable.

4. PPF / ceramic - most people who order new cars want to protect the condition, certainly earlier cars may have had paint issues and this is an image issue that Tesla just can’t seem to shake off?

5. Comparing Tesla to luxury cars because of price. Not apples vs apples. The euros may have an advantage in perceived build quality at the starting price point of the SR+ but how does everything else compare once you factor in features. Try specifying a BMW 3 series or Audi A4 (similar size car and price) with the features an SR+ has and compare then. Don’t forget TCO and the free improvements you get out of OTA over time.

Lastly imho, you have to almost totally forget some of your views on what a car is when you move into a Model 3 compared to other EVs. Also in terms of Tesla as a tech company first and foremost. They have a very ‘fail-fast’ mindset which allows them to iteratively improve the car in shorter periods of time.

My take on things after almost 2 years of ownership - i’m one of those who paid at the top of the SR+ pricing range ($83k driveway) with no incentives so i’ve got a few bones to pick hahaha but i have no regerts and would never go back.

Last edited:
Funny one...

don't let anyone tell you not to speak up what you feel about your experience - it's your experience, anyone telling you to cancel the order or sell the car should mind their own business.

I can comment on some of the factors based on my own first hand experience.

1. You don't buy Tesla car for quality built luxury cars, specially not model 3 or Y... but you buy it for driving experience - or experience not driving a car when you feel like it, and let it drive for you... Tesla cars and specially model 3 is low end targeted car focussed on trying out all new features before rolling out to Model S and X... I bought model 3 because that's the only option was available - booked model S/X so at earliest opportunity I can replace for more premium and quality build.
  2. Colour quality and paint protection are issues for quality conscious... if you like drive-in carwash, your car clean, paint quality tip-top, protection from stone chips, and long life out of car... wrap it and ceramic coat it... worth all the money spent.... otherwise, out of the box car should be ok for you... not the best but not the worst paint quality.
  3. charger included in car is of no use seriously... most destination charger are faster than that, all outdoor chargers got cables... included charger for slowest trickle charge... if not getting take mine - it's just useless unless stuck in middle of no where with power plug and few hours on hand - very unlikely in New Zealand.... AA support does emergency charge or free tow for members.
  4. cars from china and many other countries comes with all features and stuff... only thing is noone including tesla got them right... at least tesla got it beta tested by masses (bad) so chances they will be perfected before most.... only reason I bought Tesla, else I am Audi fan.
  5. Tesla reduced $3000 last June/July 2020 plus had paid heated seats and added them back around dec/Jan 2021 when making heated seat free... same as they only had FSD (11400) and now have enhanced autopilot also available (5700)... it's like Easter, Christmas, Waitangi day specials... offer duration gone - nothing there to complain...
Ultimately you made decision to buy based on some factors... decide to receive the car or not based on similar factors.... do your research... ask difficult questions, as you are paid customer buying a product with set specification and quality checks and you are entitled to ask about your safety and product quality, noone can take that from you....

personally, I would say get model 3, also book model S if in your budget... sell model 3 when finally getting model S... that way you get quality you are looking for,.. resell values are thru sky, someone was even trying to sell one for some 600K plus - lol.... clean car discount on model 3 will make it up for any loss when selling and getting model S.... or clean car payment will pay for car wrapping (I got $9000 package with 4 years maintenance and car detailing, mostly paid by clean car payment).

Sound proofing seals $36, most car needs them and they are worth it (DIY fitting)... I added some 45-50 piece accessories... it's all personal preference and personal touch....
Thank you for your honesty really appreciate it

1. Charger not being included - Tesla must be reviewing usage data and determined most people don’t rely on it? Why give something for free when rarely used? A few years ago the wall charger was free but most found the cost to install too prohibitive and never bothered.

2. Mud flaps - how many new similar cars do you see with mudflaps? I just looked at the two other cars parker in my garage (2004 and 2007 VWs - no mudflaps. Having mudflaps probably impacts efficiency?

3. Noise reduction strips - because an EV is so quiet you notice noise that you would otherwise not notice with an ICE. I notice tyre roar quite a bit but i just raise the volume of the radio but the sound is noticeable.

4. PPF / ceramic - most people who order new cars want to protect the condition, certainly earlier cars may have had paint issues and this is an image issue that Tesla just can’t seem to shake off?

5. Comparing Tesla to luxury cars because of price. Not apples vs apples. The euros may have an advantage in perceived build quality at the starting price point of the SR+ but how does everything else compare once you factor in features. Try specifying a BMW 3 series or Audi A4 (similar size car and price) with the features an SR+ has and compare then. Don’t forget TCO and the free improvements you get out of OTA over time.

Lastly imho, you have to almost totally forget some of your views on what a car is when you move into a Model 3 compared to other EVs. Also in terms of Tesla as a tech company first and foremost. They have a very ‘fail-fast’ mindset which allows them to iteratively improve the car in shorter periods of time.

My take on things after almost 2 years of ownership - i’m one of those who paid at the top of the SR+ pricing range ($83k driveway) with no incentives so i’ve got a few bones to pick hahaha but i have no regerts and would never go back.
Thank you just like @Audietron you to make some very good points to consider. It’s good to have a good perspective from people who have experience.

Funny you mentioned Mud flaps... I had two different set of experiences

I never had mud flaps for my cars, motorcycles... never cared for people behind me or car body getting dirty - mean me....
I decided to add mud flap for Tesla since day 1, as it would protect car from stone chips and harsh elements, and it does protect the car nicely as I never see it dirty and when I have self healing PPF and some ceramic on car - I guess I never heard much of stone chips from my own car.

However, since day one annoyed with Mud-Flaps as they are so low almost touching ground... every sharp turn, speed-breaker, full turn, getting out of garage, or getting off the slop is Scccccrrreeching experience I even ended up at service centre suspecting suspension knocking issue, only to realise at times mud flap was getting way too flexible and making those noises, probably lost some nut after driving thru puddle.

So good to have, but screeching nightmare.

Reactions: montybhai
Funny you mentioned Mud flaps... I had two different set of experiences

I never had mud flaps for my cars, motorcycles... never cared for people behind me or car body getting dirty - mean me....
I decided to add mud flap for Tesla since day 1, as it would protect car from stone chips and harsh elements, and it does protect the car nicely as I never see it dirty and when I have self healing PPF and some ceramic on car - I guess I never heard much of stone chips from my own car.

However, since day one annoyed with Mud-Flaps as they are so low almost touching ground... every sharp turn, speed-breaker, full turn, getting out of garage, or getting off the slop is Scccccrrreeching experience I even ended up at service centre suspecting suspension knocking issue, only to realise at times mud flap was getting way too flexible and making those noises, probably lost some nut after driving thru puddle.

So good to have, but screeching nightmare.
Thanks good to know I was considering getting the mud flaps

Thanks good to know I was considering getting the mud flaps
I would recommend the mud flaps from Tessories they fit well and were easy to fit.

Reactions: Audietron
I would recommend the mud flaps from Tessories they fit well and were easy to fit.
I technically purchased 10+ accessories from those guys... including screen swivel mount (can't live without it anymore). good pricing and prompt delivery.

So by that logic nobody was installing wall chargers, and now nobody is using mobile connectors, so people are all going for other brand wall connectors (at twice the price), or simply not charging at home?

Come on, please apply some thought..

Reactions: m3lol
Great way to twist what I theorised.

I am saying they probably have more usage data than us and therefore determined at different points in time that including these were less valuable to the buyer. I did not suggest that NOBODY used it. Lol.

Personally speaking I sold my TWC because i already had a 32A at home. The person who referred me to buy a Tesla and 2 others who used my referral code have also not installed their TWC.

Additionally, I have not used my UMC since January when I went to the South Island and it was painfully slow that it was more time beneficial to use a chargenet.

But I also won’t be surprised if it was all a penny pinching exercise. 😀

I am saying they probably have more usage data than us and therefore determined at different points in time that including these were less valuable to the buyer. I did not suggest that NOBODY used it. Lol.

Personally speaking I sold my TWC because i already had a 32A at home. The person who referred me to buy a Tesla and 2 others who used my referral code have also not installed their TWC.

Additionally, I have not used my UMC since January when I went to the South Island and it was painfully slow that it was more time beneficial to use a chargenet.

Well it's not called twisting, it's called putting in Tesla language (like Fully Self Driving or FSD - lol).

Tesla wall charger is real good, sparky mentioned that good to use for even Audi etron in future... I love it... Tesla mobile charger included is pointless so never even used, except when detailing guys used it to keep my car plugged in during wrapping process, as I received new car with under 25% battery.

I am saying they probably have more usage data than us and therefore determined at different points in time that including these were less valuable to the buyer. I did not suggest that NOBODY used it.

Sigh, there's no point talking to people who aren't able to understand hyperbole,

THough I suspect you know quite well that I didn't mean literally nobody used them and iare just taking a bad faith position.

Reactions: m3lol and Audietron
Sigh, there's no point talking to people who aren't able to understand hyperbole,

THough I suspect you know quite well that I didn't mean literally nobody used them and iare just taking a bad faith position.

I understand hyperbole but including a “please apply some thought” put down at the end of your response suggests that someone isn’t allowed a different opinion because yours is better.

Besides i tried to offer a valid response to the OP, what have you contributed to the thread so far? Would love to hear your thoughts.

But, no point arguing actual reasons / ideas / theories when you resort to personal attacks.