Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buying money guilt :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some good comments here about what people "need" and what they'll accept. I did hear someone once say that the current generation had difficulties getting a start in life that were not experienced by their parents and grandparents, and while he acknowledged that, he also pointed out that "back then" the new couple might have lived with one set of parents for a while, eventually got a starter (small) home, perhaps one car between them etc etc and he contrasted this with the "must haves" of today

I'm not saying I fully buy into this reasoning, and I appreciate (as much as I can) the "plight" of the new generation, but I do think he had a point

There are some good comments here about what people "need" and what they'll accept. I did hear someone once say that the current generation had difficulties getting a start in life that were not experienced by their parents and grandparents, and while he acknowledged that, he also pointed out that "back then" the new couple might have lived with one set of parents for a while, eventually got a starter (small) home, perhaps one car between them etc etc and he contrasted this with the "must haves" of today

I'm not saying I fully buy into this reasoning, and I appreciate (as much as I can) the "plight" of the new generation, but I do think he had a point
But presumably the generation before that would have said “a washing machine?? Kids these days don’t know they’re born! I had to wash all my clothes by hand!” And the generation before that would have said “Indoor plumbing?? The youth of today expect luxury! I worked my whole life before I could afford indoor plumbing!”

You can only really benchmark your extravagance against your own era, rather than days of old. Though, I accept that even in my own era a £50k car is rather a luxury 😂

Reactions: roadcred
But presumably the generation before that would have said “a washing machine?? Kids these days don’t know they’re born! I had to wash all my clothes by hand!” And the generation before that would have said “Indoor plumbing?? The youth of today expect luxury! I worked my whole life before I could afford indoor plumbing!”

You can only really benchmark your extravagance against your own era, rather than days of old. Though, I accept that even in my own era a £50k car is rather a luxury 😂
I think you can span the generations to compare the experience of grandparents with experiences of Grandchildren. In my case I can span from my Grandmothers childhood in the 1870s to today. My first memories of visiting my grandma was about 1948. They had no electricity, gas lighting, coal fires and cookers, no car, no tvs, radios powered by large batteries which were charged at the local garage.. Her sisters farm had no running water and earth toilets. Both families would be considered "middle class" by todays standards. Both owned their own properties and never moved house.

Reactions: gangzoom
With much cheaper interior parts, even compared to my Mazda and overall poor build quality, questionable design choices and straight up missing features which should be standard, I just couldn't bring myself to feel the love for the Tesla.

We have a Mazda 6 on the driveway with our Tesla. Am sorry but there is nothing similar between the Mazda and Tesla apart from having 4 wheels and doors.

The Mazda is ultra reliable and cheap to own/maintain but that's about it.

People often moan EVs are 'soulless' and compare them white goods appliances, well these people clearly haven't driven/owned a Mazda or Toyota Corrolla (probably the most boring car I have driven ever).

If you don't care about cars I can see why you would struggle to tell the difference between a Mazda, Tesla, Ferrari, Ford etc. But anyone who likes to enjoy their cars, there is no comparison.

49991625178_922566d8b8_c_d.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits
We have a Mazda 6 on the driveway with our Tesla. Am sorry but there is nothing similar between the Mazda and Tesla apart from having 4 wheels and doors.

The Mazda is ultra reliable and cheap to own/maintain but that's about it.

People often moan EVs are 'soulless' and compare them white goods appliances, well these people clearly haven't driven/owned a Mazda or Toyota Corrolla (probably the most boring car I have driven ever).

If you don't care about cars I can see why you would struggle to tell the difference between a Mazda, Tesla, Ferrari, Ford etc. But anyone who likes to enjoy their cars, there is no comparison.

Of course I can tell the difference, you just don't like the answer. The Mazda I had (newer gen than the one from your pic) in some aspects was better and ahead of the Model S (both 2016 cars). Mazda had better interior, higher quality materials, way more solid feeling from closing the doors to just driving it around. It had extra features which Tesla still doesn't have: blind spot monitoring, functional rain sensor, HUD...
Sure, it wasn't nearly as fast as the Tesla but that's about it.

If by "anyone who likes to enjoy their cars" you mean those easily impressed by somewhat powerful straight line acceleration, sure, tesla checks the mark.

Reactions: candida
Of course I can tell the difference, you just don't like the answer.

I think what you 'enjoy' from a car is very different from me. The best 'drivers' car I have owned was a DC2 Teg, but it had no radio, air con. The fastest car I have owned was my old modifed BME 335i that was pushing near 400whp, far quicker once rolling than a P85+, and if didn't pay attention it'll happily send you sideway into a bush even on a straight bit of road.

However our Tesla is simply the best car I have owned, cars for me have to make me smile. The DC2 did it by been totally raw (too raw for me), the 335i by trying to kill me when I least expected it, the Tesla does it every time I drive it.

The Mazda though no where on my list of 'memorable' cars, but it is reliable and cheap. Neither of those things gets me excited about cars, nor does plastics or how a door shuts.

It take a certain view point to think a Mazda 6 is a 'better' car than a Model S or 3, and its a view point I just don't share :).

They had no electricity, gas lighting, coal fires and cookers, no car, no tvs, radios powered by large batteries which were charged at the local garage..

My dad loves telling me how he grew up on a farm with no water/electricity/gas and had to breed horses for a living. We couldn't afford a family car till I was 10, and even then it was a rusting Talbot Tagora

Whilst my daughter now thinks Karaoke in the car is normal and cannot understand why other cars don't have powered doors!! But it doesn't mean I don't tell her every day her aim in life is to better what we have now.

I have no issues with wanting stuff, as long as you are prepared to work hard why not?

My biggest regret in life is not working harder at school, I may accumulate enough wealth one day to buy a Roadster 2.0 but it's touch and go. But I blame no one else for that apart from my self :(.

Reactions: Beady3647
I'm a weirdo... so we probably won't get along 😁 (I should get that made up into a T-Shirt)

I spent most of my adult working life in the Corporate world... BMW & Mercedes company cars... in the days when you could import a right-hand drive into the UK from Germany about £8000 cheaper than buying it here.... remember those days 😁

I then semi-retired at 36 years old at the beginning of this Century. Set up my own Company and bailed from the rat race completely, choosing to work from home part time.

Once the 'office' pressure and expectations are gone... you know, the old "my cars got electric door mirrors, so yours is s...t" type of psycho conversations... it's amazing how happy you can be in something as simple as a Vauxhall, especially when you own it outright.

I remember being on a 'lads holiday' in Greece once, walking down a crappy uncared-for village road with dusty old cars strewn about... when a brand new bright red Hyundai Coupe came swishing around the corner... it looked amazing on this Sunny Greek Island. But I laughed and thought no-way would anybody I know accept that car in the UK. Made me think a lot about why we buy stuff.

Buy things for YOU and how they make YOU feel... Don't buy things to try and impress people or seek their approval. It's a fools trap... and often sexy vehicles just attract more blokes, not girls.

I do all my own Vehicle servicing now as well .. have done for 20 years. I've got 5 vehicles, all bought from new, and all really good in their own unique little way (including my Tesla Model 3 Performance with yoke steering wheel)

I'm looking at a Jaguar i-Pace for my Wife... mentioned it to her Dad the other day (drives a Lexus) and he blurts out... Jaguars are rubbish, I had one... blah blah... and I had to remind him to shut up as he's upsetting his Daughter. The car is for her, not him. She wants one because it makes her feel good. That's all that matters.

But unfortunately 'people' cannot help themselves and your happiness is often not on their agenda.

Last edited:
Buy things for YOU and how they make YOU feel... Don't buy things to try and impress people or seek their approval. It's a fools trap... and often sexy vehicles just attract more blokes, not girls.
Very very true! Any girl I know if I tell them I got an expensive car would almost certainly say "well that's stupid. Why don't you use your money for something else or save it?" 🤣 Though at least with a Tesla I may get some points back for environmental factors!

I've said before in this thread that rather than wanting to show off my Tesla when I get it, I'm actually a bit embarrassed and guilty about it... haha. I've had to tell a few people in work that I'm getting a new car (as an answer to "uh, why are you taking the bus?" while I'm waiting for the car to arrive), and I always cringe before answering when they ask what car. I guess because intellectually I know that it is an unnecessary extravagance, so I feel like people think I must be crazy to be buying it.

But, crazy or not, it makes me happy so I'm going for it :D

Very very true! Any girl I know if I tell them I got an expensive car would almost certainly say "well that's stupid. Why don't you use your money for something else or save it?" 🤣 Though at least with a Tesla I may get some points back for environmental factors!

I've said before in this thread that rather than wanting to show off my Tesla when I get it, I'm actually a bit embarrassed and guilty about it... haha. I've had to tell a few people in work that I'm getting a new car (as an answer to "uh, why are you taking the bus?" while I'm waiting for the car to arrive), and I always cringe before answering when they ask what car. I guess because intellectually I know that it is an unnecessary extravagance, so I feel like people think I must be crazy to be buying it.

I actually do feel somewhat same.
as I said, I never bought new car in my life. and I though the 50k car is a bit over the top. however my middle age crisis is coming, so whatever :D

and then I learned that my colleague just spent 8k on mountain bike (ok, electric... but still)... and I thought - nah, I am the sane one here :D

Embarrassed? Don't come out with me then...

Mine has the registration plate '007 ITEM' and plays the James Bond theme tune via Lightshow 😁😁😁😁

“Dad…. please don’t drop me right at the front gate!!!” 😂😂

Haha... oh yes... I took my 'lad' out to McDonalds and couldn't help play "Knight Rider" theme tune through Boombox while in Drive-thru queue.

La Cucaracha blast is usually is a good start to get the party started.

Surprising how quickly Smartphones appear from other passers by and queued vehicles 🤔😁 ... I'm probably buried on Tik-Tok, Facebook & YouTube somewhere...

Ah well, I'm sure I'll Die Another Day...

Last edited:
I actually do feel somewhat same.
as I said, I never bought new car in my life. and I though the 50k car is a bit over the top. however my middle age crisis is coming, so whatever :D

and then I learned that my colleague just spent 8k on mountain bike (ok, electric... but still)... and I thought - nah, I am the sane one here :D
My mid-life crisis was a Mazda Miata (You call it the MX)

I got a 1999 model, also known as the NB which I still think is the best looking of all of them. It was a LOT of fun, but I figured I'd probably die in it at some point - plus I lunched the cat on it so I unloaded it to some youngsters

1642519094396.png

Reactions: candida