Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Buyout Possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think anyone said this yet about why Elon wouldn't sell:

Elon is doing Tesla (and SpaceX and Solar City) as part of a larger mission to solve what he sees as important hurdles to humanity's long term progress. He would only step out of the way if he felt assured that would best advance Tesla's mission to move people from ICE cars to EVs (not an official mission statement by the way, but Elon has said it many times), or if this mission had already been accomplished. So if the majority of new cars sold in a given year are electric and that percentage is growing, then I'd expect he'd be happy to get out of the way.

OK, next excercise: what would be the best reverse takeover for TM to pull off (little company uses big company's own cash and debt instruments to buy control, and install itself in dominant position on the Board.)

With as much stock as Elon owns, and accounting for other shares being held by his family members and close friends, I think it is practically impossible for a hostile takeover. A lot of people he trusts would have to stab him in the back.

Even if that were to happen, I think that Tesla would be extremely expensive to take-out. The board members have their eyes set on a hundred billion dollar market cap (or more). Going to be hard to convince them to quit now for 5 or 6. Some for sure would be interested, but not enough to overthrow Elon.

With as much stock as Elon owns, and accounting for other shares being held by his family members and close friends, I think it is practically impossible for a hostile takeover. A lot of people he trusts would have to stab him in the back.

Even if that were to happen, I think that Tesla would be extremely expensive to take-out. The board members have their eyes set on a hundred billion dollar market cap (or more). Going to be hard to convince them to quit now for 5 or 6. Some for sure would be interested, but not enough to overthrow Elon.

That's probably true, although I do really wonder what percentage of TSLA stock is owned between Elon, his close friends/family and board members like Steve Jurvetson.

That market cap is do able so long as Tesla can keep their target sales and margins. Just food-for-thought, the three highest market caps (for vehicle companies) are Toyota ($TM, $135B), Volkswageon ($VLKAY, $95B) and Honda ($HMC, $60B).