TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Buys Nummi Assets

Discussion in 'News' started by PopSmith, Aug 20, 2010.

1. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Tesla Buys Nummi Assets

It looks like Tesla is going to buy some of the equipment and tooling that was inside NUMMI. I wonder what else they'll need so they can commence construction of the Model S.

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

lol with what?

4. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

AOL!

I looked for more information / better articles but came up empty. I'm wondering if they bought ALL of the equipment (doubtful) and what kinds of things they bought. Yes, I can speculate, but ...

5. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I debated posting the article as it seems pretty "empty" besides saying "Tesla bought some stuff for NUMMI". It's exciting, for me at least, to see more pieces of the Model S (and Tesla's future) puzzle coming together.

If I dig up anything more official/detailed I'll be sure to post it here.

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#6 tdelta1000, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
    oops!!! I agree with the purchasing of the equipment because it only helps to speed along the building of the Model S. Not all the equipment will be used for the Model S and I see some of it being used for the dev of the mass production model.

7. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

#7 Iz, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    This is from the August newsletter
    This might not have been possible at other locations under consideration at the time. Looks as if they are already benefiting from purchasing the NUMMI site. icon6.gif

8. mt2

mt2 Member

The newsletter says they bought the paint shop. The paperwork to the EPA regarding the potential Downey plant mentioned special paints and such. I wonder if they made some compromises in order to get a used paint shop at a good price.