TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla buys test track in 35-acre deal (Next to factory)

Discussion in 'News' started by twinklejet, Jul 19, 2013.

1. JPP

JPP Active Member

When I was down at the Fremont SC today (...yes, Saturday) to pick up my car, I chatted with one of the very senior (...and knowledgable) techs. He said that when GM-Toyota built the NUMMI plant, they created a test track next door on land partially owned by NUMMI and partially by the Union Pacific Railroad. He said that NUMMI-GM never had to pay for the use of the UP part of the land since UP got lots of freight business to/from the plant. Tesla wanted to consolidate the site and preserve the existing test track. Not sure where the local paper (see URL) got the idea that they needed to build a new track.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_23694920/tesla-buys-land-test-track-fremont

2. Hamza

Hamza Member

Hopefully they expand on the track to make it more *dynamic*

3. Benz

Benz Active Member

Or they could use the land to build a battery cell factory on it. How about that?

4. Ampster

Ampster Member

From what I have heard they could put the battery factory inside the NUMMI building and still have room for Model X and GenX production lines.

5. Benz

Benz Active Member

Possible. But the number of EV's being produced by Tesla Motors in the next decade (2020-2030) will/might increase that much that the Tesla Motors factory in Fremont could be solely used for production of battery cells and battery packs (and maybe a few other components). Additional factories will be required by then.

6. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

I thought that was going to be Elon's Hyperloop? :tongue:

Tesla-Test-Track-620x400.jpg

7. Ampster

Ampster Member

#8 Ampster, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    Let's hope that is the scenerio by 2020. Any ideas about what the capacity of that plant is?
    EDIT
    Answered my own question here:
    Tesla Partners with Toyota, Will Build Electric Vehicles at NUMMI Plant in California | Car and Driver Blog

About 500, 000 vehicles per year capacity. Currently 400 per week, hoping to increase that to 500 per week or 20 to 25, 000 per year.