Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla called and needs to replace my battery ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard of this happening before? I’m honestly a bit concerned.

I've heard of cars having problems and needing repairs, even when 2.5 months old.

I've never heard of a car mfr having a "smart alert program" and calling their buyer proactively and making an appointment for them.

pretty cool that they called you huh?

Reactions: sandange
I got an OTR (over the road ;) ) firmware update for my Bolt earlier this year to add this sort of monitoring and notification, after a couple Bolts ended up stranded roadside. The Bolt's battery design is such that a single cell failure can throw the inter-pack balance off leading to usable charge remaining being far less than your range gauge reports. The Model 3's pack design has some differences in specifics, so it's potential failure mode might not be specifically what they are addressing here, but batteries can indeed have "damaged by not system failed yet" symptoms that can be picked up via all the monitoring that's happening during normal battery management.

And I would be disappointed if they waited for your car to break, call them, and have to bring it in before knowing the battery has an issue.

It sucks that you’ve got a problem but this is virtually telepathic automotive service and that’s unheard of in the industry.

GM did this for the Bolt owners that suffered the low cell voltage bug, as they ended up recalling all 2017/some 2018 Bolts despite only a few in danger of developing the condition. Not a phone call, but mailed letter anyways.
Possible Chevy Bolt Battery Cell Failure Prompts GM Statement / Recall

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I've heard of cars having problems and needing repairs, even when 2.5 months old.

I've never heard of a car mfr having a "smart alert program" and calling their buyer proactively and making an appointment for them.

pretty cool that they called you huh?

Both BMW and Audi will "phone home" if there are service events that need to be addressed. I had a low oil warning pop up on my Audi, and the next morning my local service center called to ask if I needed to make an appt to address it.....

I am 100% positive that Tesla's monitoring/alerting program is much much better, but to act like this is "first to market" is not accurate.

Quick backstory- I’ve had my Model 3 for 2.5 months now. I received a voicemail from my service center and this was the transcript word for word (copy/pasted from my iPhone). Has anyone heard of this happening before? I’m honestly a bit concerned.

“Hello this is ____ calling from Tesla Portland it's about 1:15 on Thursday I wanted to let you know that uh we have a smart alert program that we're constantly reviewing. It flagged your battery as potentially having an issue so we'd like to get you scheduled. We have a battery here that would like to swap with the one in your vehicle if you wouldn't mind giving us a call to set up an appointment” ...(the voicemail continues from here with the typical wrap-up)
I wish my doctor was this good.

I think RayK was simply saying that it could have been a phishing attempt. Better to look up the Tesla number online than simply call the number from the voicemail.
Actually, I assumed that @lupend88 was asking about the second part of my post where I said to park the car far away from anything. It was my attempt at humor in light of the fact of the overblown reports in the media concerning battery fires in Teslas.

Not to mention that you probably should post the entire VIN in public just in case somebody wants to mess with you (or your car). That said, it's fairly easy at the moment to determine all of the leading characters (before the last 5 digits) since the car is most likely a RWD, there's only one plant building them, it's new so it's a 2018 model and an algorithm has been published (well, website really) which calculates the check character. In any event, most everybody here has been providing the last four or five digits of the VIN as this can give you some indication of the timeframe when the car was built.

I forgot to update everyone on this! So basically long story short- Tesla called and said my battery might need to be replaced. I took it in, they tested it for two days, and determined the battery is 100% fine. The main Model 3 technician explained it to me in person but a lot of it was over my head and basically all I really remember him saying was "we tested it and there are no areas of concern whatsoever". Below are the notes from my service appointment invoice PDF.

Concern: Module coolant leak test data requires additional validation.

Corrections: Coolant - HV Battery (Drain and Refill)

Performed platter enclosure leak test of HV battery. found 0.01psi loss during test. Well within the 0.2psi specifications. As per OWO narrative No HV pack needed at this time. System is fully functional and operational. Coolant system has been bled and purged. Road test normal.

I forgot to update everyone on this! So basically long story short- Tesla called and said my battery might need to be replaced. I took it in, they tested it for two days, and determined the battery is 100% fine. The main Model 3 technician explained it to me in person but a lot of it was over my head and basically all I really remember him saying was "we tested it and there are no areas of concern whatsoever". Below are the notes from my service appointment invoice PDF.

Concern: Module coolant leak test data requires additional validation.

Corrections: Coolant - HV Battery (Drain and Refill)

Performed platter enclosure leak test of HV battery. found 0.01psi loss during test. Well within the 0.2psi specifications. As per OWO narrative No HV pack needed at this time. System is fully functional and operational. Coolant system has been bled and purged. Road test normal.
Bummer by any chance was your Vin on that Twitter list ?