Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla called and needs to replace my battery ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot to update everyone on this! So basically long story short- Tesla called and said my battery might need to be replaced. I took it in, they tested it for two days, and determined the battery is 100% fine. The main Model 3 technician explained it to me in person but a lot of it was over my head and basically all I really remember him saying was "we tested it and there are no areas of concern whatsoever". Below are the notes from my service appointment invoice PDF.

Concern: Module coolant leak test data requires additional validation.

Corrections: Coolant - HV Battery (Drain and Refill)

Performed platter enclosure leak test of HV battery. found 0.01psi loss during test. Well within the 0.2psi specifications. As per OWO narrative No HV pack needed at this time. System is fully functional and operational. Coolant system has been bled and purged. Road test normal.

I suspect that the coolant sensor may have gone bad or provided a misreading.
Most watercooled EVs monitor the battery coolant level to ensure that the battery doesn't overheat or degrade rapidly due to high temperatures. For some reason yours reported a leak, but the physical tests came back negative so they drained and refilled your coolant and now you're back on the road.

If it happens again, then I'd be wondering if they replaced the sensor.

I'm not normally one for tinfoil hat theories, but I find it interesting this guy joins up to ask your VIN and a little over a week later Tripp tweets a bunch of supposed bad VINs. I wonder if he's been going through various Tesla forums trying to find people with battery issues to get their VINs?

He never got my full VIN since I left the last three digits as X’s. Most people do the same, leave placeholders for the last two or three digits. Makes me wonder, if I did subscribe to your “tinfoil hat theories” how he was able to post the entire VIN when most people don’t share it.

That’s ultimately what makes me believe those VINs on Twitter were all completely made up. I think most people assume the same.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gavyne and X Fan
He never got my full VIN since I left the last three digits as X’s. Most people do the same, leave placeholders for the last two or three digits. Makes me wonder, if I did subscribe to your “tinfoil hat theories” how he was able to post the entire VIN when most people don’t share it.

That’s ultimately what makes me believe those VINs on Twitter were all completely made up. I think most people assume the same.

And that's where the tinfoil hat theory breaks down. Most people aren't silly enough to just hand out their VINs. I just thought it really odd the new account, only 2 posts and both in this thread trying to get your VIN.

Reactions: lupend88
I've never heard of a car mfr having a "smart alert program" and calling their buyer proactively and making an appointment for them.

With Tesla being so strong and innovative on the IT-side - and with the battery being the vehicle's most expensive and complex component, it is possible that the Model 3's battery has some kind of actual "S.M.A.R.T.",
"Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology",
S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia.

Such predictive failure technology is normally found in digital storage devices and a large collection of battery cells is fundamentally different from a very large collection of disk sectors, so I may be overly optimistic.

However, if true that would be really awesome.

On reflection, just the fact that such technology was foreseen and crucial to the plot of "2001: A Space Odyssey" could have made Elon Musk make it a hard requirement that a (soon to be) self-driving Tesla should also have it. :)

I forgot to update everyone on this! So basically long story short- Tesla called and said my battery might need to be replaced. I took it in, they tested it for two days, and determined the battery is 100% fine. The main Model 3 technician explained it to me in person but a lot of it was over my head and basically all I really remember him saying was "we tested it and there are no areas of concern whatsoever"

I guess that's where the 8 years or 120,000 miles warranty comes in. You should be fine - appreciate the update.

With Tesla being so strong and innovative on the IT-side - and with the battery being the vehicle's most expensive and complex component, it is possible that the Model 3's battery has some kind of actual "S.M.A.R.T.",
"Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology",
S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia.

Such predictive failure technology is normally found in digital storage devices and a large collection of battery cells is fundamentally different from a very large collection of disk sectors, so I may be overly optimistic.

However, if true that would be really awesome.

On reflection, just the fact that such technology was foreseen and crucial to the plot of "2001: A Space Odyssey" could have made Elon Musk make it a hard requirement that a (soon to be) self-driving Tesla should also have it. :)

It is true indeed! I made sure the ask them before I left if my battery would continue to be monitored just to be safe and they told me that all Tesla's are being monitored by their engineers in California. Definitely makes me (and should make every owner) rest easy knowing they are monitoring all of our batteries closely :D

I forgot to update everyone on this! So basically long story short- Tesla called and said my battery might need to be replaced. I took it in, they tested it for two days, and determined the battery is 100% fine. The main Model 3 technician explained it to me in person but a lot of it was over my head and basically all I really remember him saying was "we tested it and there are no areas of concern whatsoever". Below are the notes from my service appointment invoice PDF.

Performed platter enclosure leak test of HV battery. found 0.01psi loss during test. Well within the 0.2psi specifications. As per OWO narrative No HV pack needed at this time. System is fully functional and operational. Coolant system has been bled and purged. Road test normal.
Oh, fascinating. They were worried about a leak in the battery coolant system, which would be a bad thing, but there wasn't one.

Thanks for the update. Interesting to see what was monitored. However, I'm surprised that the car didn't also display a warning message. Can't assume that owner contact info is correct, and that they can reach the owner. I guess they run the data through some analysis that hasn't (yet) made it to the onboard software?